Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #85
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Whipple, but when i do, i will seriously consider this as my 2nd mod. If you still need a donor at that point, we may be in business.
Will probably take you up on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPEHater View Post
Any updates for the GTO project?

Anxiously awaiting my test unit lol.
LOL! GTO units are almost ready to ship. Just working out some difficult machining issues for production (blind holes, etc.)
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #86
567234ta

Drives: 1996 gmc ecsb 408 ci SC 4l80e
i wonder if you could cool a 2 or 3 gallon tank with the chiller unit and just have a switch to start having the flow go thru that tank. Mainly for a short burst on a track. Ill bet it could cool it to near freezing if not below in an insulated tank not flowing. That would be a really nice burst of cold temps for a run.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #87
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 567234ta View Post
i wonder if you could cool a 2 or 3 gallon tank with the chiller unit and just have a switch to start having the flow go thru that tank. Mainly for a short burst on a track. Ill bet it could cool it to near freezing if not below in an insulated tank not flowing. That would be a really nice burst of cold temps for a run.

Nice idea. My only concern with this unit is at WOT. The compressor shuts off just when you need it the most. A resevoir of chilled water just for a 1/4 mile burst might be the ticket.
Sold
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #88
blufin

So how is there no condensation when running the chiller mode? I would think that if the condensor is cool, that would cause condensation no matter where the coolant is routed to.
Sold
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #89
SC2150
Account Suspended

The chiller is double insulated, so no condensaion. If you choose to run the cabin air at the same time, then there would be. This kit can be cabin only, chiller only, or both or none with the flick of a micro switch.

As for WOT, the capacity of most water to air intercooler systems is enough for the 14-15 seconds you would be at WOT so there should not be much heat-up. But we need a doner o finish the camaro kit and test to see just how much. It only takes 2 minutes in the staging lanes to lower the temp 20-40 degrees which is a ton.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #90
blufin

Sounds like a great product, I'm very Interested. It sounds like the perfect mod for a S Florida car. Only problem is, don't have the SC yet.
Sold
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #91
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Sounds like a great product, I'm very Interested. It sounds like the perfect mod for a S Florida car. Only problem is, don't have the SC yet.
Well....then we can put one on for you!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #92
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can't wait to see how this all pans out. I hope someone will be willing to step up and see what this product can do, because this would be something I'd definately be interested in when the time comes.

Good luck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #93
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Hey, if you need a car, let me know.

I'd be interested.

depends on how long you'd need the car for.

shoot me a PM

Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #94
567234ta

Being the fact i know a lot about chillers and the subject, ill give my honest opinion.
If you are looking for more power with this type of unit for racing or even highway runs against someone (closed highways of course) you would be better off with a Meth setup. The power it takes to run the compressor pretty much negates any gains it may have.

However the benefit i see with this is for people in southern areas who have a SC and their IAT's are a problem on hot days. This would drop them by 20°F pretty easily. There would be a small gain in the 10 second burst but it would heat back up almost immediately. As far as condensation drip that would be an easy fix anyways, run a drain pan with a tube that drips on the exhaust.

I think the most beneficial use of this IS for the track but setup in a tank. The only negative factor would be the weight of the added fluid and components. Because if you had a 4 gallon insulated tank chilled to about 30F and could route that thru your SC at the flick of a switch it would be one hell of a boost in a 1/4 mile.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #95
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I can't wait to see how this all pans out. I hope someone will be willing to step up and see what this product can do, because this would be something I'd definately be interested in when the time comes.

Good luck
Have orders stacked up....anxious to get it out to the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Hey, if you need a car, let me know.

I'd be interested.

depends on how long you'd need the car for.

shoot me a PM

Would need the car for a week max. I'll PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 567234ta View Post
Being the fact i know a lot about chillers and the subject, ill give my honest opinion.
If you are looking for more power with this type of unit for racing or even highway runs against someone (closed highways of course) you would be better off with a Meth setup. The power it takes to run the compressor pretty much negates any gains it may have.

However the benefit i see with this is for people in southern areas who have a SC and their IAT's are a problem on hot days. This would drop them by 20°F pretty easily. There would be a small gain in the 10 second burst but it would heat back up almost immediately. As far as condensation drip that would be an easy fix anyways, run a drain pan with a tube that drips on the exhaust.

I think the most beneficial use of this IS for the track but setup in a tank. The only negative factor would be the weight of the added fluid and components. Because if you had a 4 gallon insulated tank chilled to about 30F and could route that thru your SC at the flick of a switch it would be one hell of a boost in a 1/4 mile.

Meth is instant & great, but you need to refill and also don't want to run out during a run. Also the reacurring cost of the meth fills would add up over time.

The compressor only kicks off while at WOT, so if you were going to run WOT all the time it would not be a good match, meth w/a giant tank, and I agree with the weight of a tank. This entire setup only adds a few pounds (I think I have scale pics in the early parts of the thread). The capacity of most water to air intercooler systems is large enough to give cooling for the time the car is at WOT as the coolant is still circulating.

We have had this on some GTO's working awesome and that is where we got the cooling #'s from. Don't expect the camaro to be much different. Condensation is not an issue with the chiller as you are not pulling hummidity out of the air as you are in the cabin (that is why you see the water dripping from cabin AC). Plus we double insulate the chiller, the only portion cooled that would result in any minor condensation drips, but testing shows it is not an issue so far. It may be with extended use, but I don't forsee it. All the components should be pictured, and total weight added is around 7#'s.

Now if you were running WOT for a minute or two at a time, then this may not be ideal....time will tell, but for average track & closed street runs it is ideal.

The real proof will be when it is on a car running for an extended period to see the results and any unforseen issue that may pop up.

This includes a digital readout in the cabin to show both chiller liquid & IAT temps so monitoring is easy.

The tests done were at BMP with 2 minutes of running in the staging lanes & the burnout box. At launch (WOT) the compressor kicked off as the ECM commands and when past the finish line it kicked back on when let off & temp rising was minimal. More test are needed though.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #96
567234ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Have orders stacked up....anxious to get it out to the customers.

Would need the car for a week max. I'll PM you.

Meth is instant & great, but you need to refill and also don't want to run out during a run. Also the reacurring cost of the meth fills would add up over time.

The compressor only kicks off while at WOT, so if you were going to run WOT all the time it would not be a good match, meth w/a giant tank, and I agree with the weight of a tank. This entire setup only adds a few pounds (I think I have scale pics in the early parts of the thread). The capacity of most water to air intercooler systems is large enough to give cooling for the time the car is at WOT as the coolant is still circulating.

We have had this on some GTO's working awesome and that is where we got the cooling #'s from. Don't expect the camaro to be much different. Condensation is not an issue with the chiller as you are not pulling hummidity out of the air as you are in the cabin (that is why you see the water dripping from cabin AC). Plus we double insulate the chiller, the only portion cooled that would result in any minor condensation drips, but testing shows it is not an issue so far. It may be with extended use, but I don't forsee it. All the components should be pictured, and total weight added is around 7#'s.

Now if you were running WOT for a minute or two at a time, then this may not be ideal....time will tell, but for average track & closed street runs it is ideal.

The real proof will be when it is on a car running for an extended period to see the results and any unforseen issue that may pop up.

This includes a digital readout in the cabin to show both chiller liquid & IAT temps so monitoring is easy.

The tests done were at BMP with 2 minutes of running in the staging lanes & the burnout box. At launch (WOT) the compressor kicked off as the ECM commands and when past the finish line it kicked back on when let off & temp rising was minimal. More test are needed though.
Yeah i understand all that and i agree that it will be very useful for hot weather. IAT's can be extremely high just sitting in traffic on a 100°+ day.

Not many people run the AC on a dragstrip though because of the power drag. I guess if you got a SC it may not be an issue if traction is the main problem.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #97
SC2150
Account Suspended

I think where we are no clear is the compsessor is no drag while doing the run, or yes, it would be a parasitic loss and cause it to run slower. We only have the compressor on when not at WOT, and even if you have a M6 manual, the delay before the compressor kicks back in when he ecm senses it is not at WOT for a moment is enough to shift fast, and w/the auto it's wide open all the way baby!

This will take some getting used to when first going to the strip, but is simple enough that most everything will work automaticaly.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #98
vertc6

Drives: vette
The newer more efficient a/c compressors only drag about 7 hp when operating, on a 550 rwhp car I don't think you will notice. In fact, with the cooler charge and no pulled timing you will actually make more power with the a/c on. Then when you go WOT the compressor kicks off and there is not loss of power.

My plan for my vette will be to move the battery to the back and install a 3 gallon insulated tank in its place, and insulate the lines to and from the chiller and up to the IC's.

On a 90 degree day I have seen water temps kept at 55-60 degrees with the chiller, and if you have nearly 4 gallons of chilled water in the system it would take several minutes at WOT to heat up the water, but whether on the track or road course you are never at WOT for more than 10-15 sec. at a time. On a road course you are between half and 3/4 throtle most of the time and WOT on the straights which will give time for the compressor to continue to cool the water much better than any H/E could ever do.

Can't wait to see some results from your setup.

Closed Thread