Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Vaux96

Drives: 45th 2SS LS3, 05 Ram 1500 SLT
Ruger SR22 vs Walther P22

Ruger:

Walther:

I am looking for a good beginner pistol for my wife, she is not quite ready for my .40 XDM yet. She doesn't want a revolver and we have narrowed it down to these two I think. They seem very similar, does anyone have any opinions on them? Which would you get? I have never shot a Ruger or Walther and do not have any preference.
Vaux96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
My wife's first pistol was a cheap semi .380. Hi-point I think. I wasn't trying to invest too much into a starter pistol. Well, we learned after a day at the range that pulling the slide became a little diffucult after a while.

She now was a hammerless S&W .38 revolver that stays in her purse and she is much more happy with it.

If you don't want to go the revolver route, I would say go with the Ruger. The Ruger SR's are some of the best handguns produced over the last few years. Have her hold them both and see which she prefers.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I don't have any experience with the Ruger but I do own a Walther P22. We shoot the hell out of it and it has been flawless. My wife loves it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would at least get her a 9mm. Give her something she can learn and later get a CCW with. I have a taurus millennium pro for my concealed carry. I love the thing. Probably a hundred bucks cheaper than the walter also.

AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
I would also go with the 9mm. I have the Ruger SR9, my wife has the Ruger SR9C....

Name:  IMG_2331.jpg
Views: 3299
Size:  133.3 KB
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaux96 View Post
I am looking for a good beginner pistol for my wife, she is not quite ready for my .40 XDM yet. She doesn't want a revolver and we have narrowed it down to these two I think. They seem very similar, does anyone have any opinions on them? Which would you get? I have never shot a Ruger or Walther and do not have any preference.
Back when I was looking for a little 22 pistol I went through this same dilemma. I read a lot of comparisons between the two and reviews on both guns. Each comparison and review had a couple things in common.

The P22 had issues shooting the cheaper 22 ammo while the SR22 did not. The only ammo the P22 would shoot flawlessly is CCI, Remington, or Winchester.

Shooting from a gun vise to eliminate any human error, the accuracy of the SR22 was superior to the P22. The groups of the SR22 was tighter and was more consistent then the P22.

The craftsmanship of the P22 is not up to par of the typical craftsmanship people think of when they think of Walther. The slide of the P22 is made of a low grade zinc alloy, also called pot metal. The polishing of the feeding ramps and rails of the P22 was hit or miss. One review had a picture of the feeding ramp and compared it to sand paper. In order for a semi-auto to feed and function reliably the feed ramp and rails need to be polished smooth.

I eventually decided on the Ruger.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
My mom bought the SR22 for her first hand gun. My wife liked it so much that she had to get one for range time. They are a lot of fun to shoot and are perfect for a beginner shooter.
I also have a SR9 and a GP100 .357 Mag. and I have to say that I am a huge fan of Ruger because they have all performed flawlessly!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Vaux96

Drives: 45th 2SS LS3, 05 Ram 1500 SLT
Thanks for the suggestions! I thought about going 9mm at first also, but she is very nervous about shooting and the 9 might bark just too much for her until she gets used to the feeling. I don't want her to be done before she starts. I really think a 22 would be best to start with for her. Plus I wouldn't mind having one around, they are kind of fun.

I think I am leaning towards the SR22. I like that Taurus Millennium a lot too.
Vaux96 is offline   Reply With Quote