Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
relapsing

Drives: 2011 Silver Camaro SS
Canned Tunes

I've never done a tune before and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for canned tunes. I saw the one below and was curious if you guys any experience with tunes and maybe suggest a better one? Also read about HP Tuner, not sure how it works so any clarification would be appreciated!

http://www.phastekperformance.com/Di...aro-intune.htm

Mods:
K&N SRI
Ark Performance Catback - N-II
JBA 1812SY 2.5" Midpipes
relapsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
relapsing

Thought i'd throw this out there, *CATLESS*
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
So I dont have experience with a canned tune, but keep in mind it is just a generic tune that is in no way specific to your car. I paid $450 for a dyno tune, and IMHO that is WAY better than a canned tune. I am also cammed so that makes a difference as street tuning is critical.

If there was more $ to be saved, I would do it but it isnt that much of a savings so I never saw the point.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
So I dont have experience with a canned tune, but keep in mind it is just a generic tune that is in no way specific to your car. I paid $450 for a dyno tune, and IMHO that is WAY better than a canned tune. I am also cammed so that makes a difference as street tuning is critical.

If there was more $ to be saved, I would do it but it isnt that much of a savings so I never saw the point.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

Understood. So even with a custom tune I would need to buy the tune device (ex: accessport, diablo) right? If that's the case, is there one that most GM users use? Need to find a shop that can/knows how to use the tuning software.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
You can get a custom tune remotely from multiple companies on this forum..I have a Patrick guerra tune and use HP tuners but you can also get a tune from him through a hand held device. He will data log as many times as necessary to get the tune perfect!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Canned tunes aren't likely as spot on as datalogged or dyno tunes. I used a baseline canned tune for the start to see where I was. I then thoroughly data logged my car in various conditions and sent them to my tuner for him to make adjustments to. Each revision required the same amount of datalogging to ensure the tune was about as perfect as I could get it, all things considering.

Still, despite that, I wouldn't go out of my way to get an actual dyno tune until more intrusive mods are done (heads, cam, etc.). A canned tune is good for a quick patch to better optimize your setup or to remove certain CEL's that may arise from the removal of catalytic converters.

With all that said, my butt dyno couldn't tell the difference between the canned tune and the fully datalogged and adjusted tune. However, I trust that the fuel trims and timing are on point and I feel much more secure and confident with this form of tuning considering the amount of exchange there was between myself and my tuner as far as adjustments being made and any questions I may have had about the process itself.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
If all you plan to do is basic mods like headers, cai, and exhaust then a canned tune is fine as long as you know there will be power left on the table. To get it dialed in you will need a handheld of some kind to datalog and adjust your tune. Or if your ok with the tune you can run it as is. Just depends on your goals and exoectations.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
AWSME SS

Drives: 2015 Cummins
Those hand held tunes vs. a tune from a shop are like stroking it vs. the real thing.
AWSME SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSME SS View Post
Those hand held tunes vs. a tune from a shop are like stroking it vs. the real thing.
Lol oh so true.
Get the dyno tune you've been warned there are many tooners that claim to tune 200 Camaro's a week and they still blow up and melt spark plugs via email/canned tunes. But there's nothing like the real thing.

Cunningham Motorsports in murieta is one of the best tuners out there. Give him a call.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by relapsing View Post
Understood. So even with a custom tune I would need to buy the tune device (ex: accessport, diablo) right? If that's the case, is there one that most GM users use? Need to find a shop that can/knows how to use the tuning software.
I am referring to a dyno tune, and those do not require you to buy anything as the tuner will use his own computer etc. You just bring your car and pay.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I am happy with my diablosport tuner. I was able to get it used for 175. It allowed me to disable skipshift, adjust a few other parameters to my personal preferance and install the Diablo 93 octane performance tune. Now that I am catless, I am datalogging and having a custom tune written just for my vehicle for $150 from Lew a licensed diablo tuner. So this was the best route for me. With heavy mods I think an actual dynotune would be best, but there is nothing wrong with the handheld tuners especialy the onles that allow for a custom written tune.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
You Def. want to get a dyno tune for best results possible, way too many veriables to not do a live dyno tune. There are too many (even some on here) who claim they can tune via email/canned and actually blow up peoples cars or make them run like utter junk.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
Dyno tune. Every car is different. Canned tunes can't come close.
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote