Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #85
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy View Post
Camaro races ahead of GM's profit expectations

Retro muscle car far more lucrative than automaker had originally forecast

Jan 13, 2010

Tony Van Alphen
Business reporter

DETROIT–The Chevrolet Camaro muscle car, which General Motors builds in Oshawa, has become far more profitable to the automaker than original forecasts, says company vice-chairman Bob Lutz.

Lutz, GM's product guru, said the iconic car is beating internal sales projections, easily surpassing estimates for average transaction prices and the combination is leading to big profits.

He said GM is making an average of $8,000 to $9,000 (U.S.) more per sale than it anticipated on models with transaction prices in the $35,000 to $40,000 range.

"What is especially remarkable is the average transaction price," Lutz told reporters at the North American International Auto Show.

"It's way, way higher than we expected it to be and the profitability of the vehicle has turned out to be far better than our expectations."
Well, DUH, the reason they're making a huge profit on the Camaro is because GM wants to ride this cash cow for as long as they can and screw the loyal buyers that are paying for this "special" car. They see these high sales and so they figure that they should pocket everything. Nevermind that it was the public that bailed their sorry asses out of bankruptcy.

Regardless of why the V8 costs more (I for one don't mind a gas guzzler tax), I think that GM is doing their "loyal" customers a severe disservice by not allowing the $1000 loyalty rebate on the new Camaro. Why else have I waited this long and not gone out and bought a GT500 or Challenger?

I hope those white collar, bean counting, customer neglecting officials at GM read this post and take note. It stinks the way they are treating us.

I still have many years of consumer power left in me and I'll think twice (no, thrice) before buying another GM vehicle (after the Camaro that is).

Boy, aren't we all hypocrites?
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #86
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
That's cool as hell, but we all knew that already. I just hate that there will be so many of these on the road by the end of this summer that they will lose some of the "WOW" factor but not all of it. I'm not changing anything on the outside of mine but have done some nice changes to the drive train.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #87
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectionConnection View Post
Now if GM would only build me a LS7 CHEVELLE SS
Now thats a thought, change the looks of the Impala so it could be a Chevelle and they could offer sedans with the 6 cylinder and a coupe with the option of select LS engines. Wouldn't that satisfy the economy seekers as well as the performance seekers?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #88
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
I never knew how much I wanted one until I read about it a few months ago.
I considered a Challenger but was turned off by the GG Tax.
While this was not an spur of the moment impulse buy, I wasn't even considering the purchase of a muscle car; I was more inclined towards the Saturn Sky because it was the Gen X that replaced my nostalgic 1970s Opel GT (mini 'vette). The more I read about the 2010 Camaro, the more enthused I became. I normally get my speed and driving thrills from my MC, but ...I REALLY LIKE THIS CAR!!
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #89
brooks35

Drives: 57Chevy TrailblazerSS 73Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski7399 View Post

I have a Toyota Tacoma too and I feel bad that I didn't get a chevy/GM. I think I'm going to be very loyal to GM in the future. Thanks GM!
Thats what I like to hear...... Especialy living in the MOTOR CITY
brooks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #90
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well GM has been selling cars at a loss for many years now and now when they finally have a car they can make huge profits on, some people want to complain about it.... I just don't understand ... GM is Damned if they do make money on a car and Damned if they don't...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #91
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Well, DUH, the reason they're making a huge profit on the Camaro is because GM wants to ride this cash cow for as long as they can and screw the loyal buyers that are paying for this "special" car. They see these high sales and so they figure that they should pocket everything. Nevermind that it was the public that bailed their sorry asses out of bankruptcy.

Regardless of why the V8 costs more (I for one don't mind a gas guzzler tax), I think that GM is doing their "loyal" customers a severe disservice by not allowing the $1000 loyalty rebate on the new Camaro. Why else have I waited this long and not gone out and bought a GT500 or Challenger?

I hope those white collar, bean counting, customer neglecting officials at GM read this post and take note. It stinks the way they are treating us.

I still have many years of consumer power left in me and I'll think twice (no, thrice) before buying another GM vehicle (after the Camaro that is).

Oh, please. This has got to be one of the most unbelievable....

..Okay...

I see you joined in December of last year. I don't know if you lurked or not, but I'd like to bring your attention to a few very important facts/events surrounding this Car's journey to an enthusiast's driveway over the past 3 years.

First off, It was not intended to be built when the concept was first shown. The hope was there, but the assurance wasn't. In light of the ENTHUSIAST'S reaction, in addition to the rest of the auto world, GM decided to green-light the project. And development began in August of '06.

Then, the Camaro team decided to bring in 15 serious Camaro enthusiasts to meet with the engineers, designers, and managers of the car and gather exactly what a 5th gen Camaro should be. These people were given a chance that few if ANY car enthusiasts have ever been given: To shape the car that they love. The team took their opinions to HEART. There are many examples of things on the car that were directly influenced by the "disciples" (as they are called) input.

Fast forward a little bit, and we are allowed to view the test cars as they go in different parts of the world to undergo development and refinement. They took off the camouflage cow-spots, and didn't try to "hide" the mules.

Then, in 2008, GM brought 4 Camaros to the Brickyard event at the Indianapolis speedway. None of them were complete...most car manufacturers would have been appalled at the very idea!! But GM, and the Camaro team, cares for its customers and its enthusiasts. Because they know -- out in the world, we are their representatives as much as the paid guys are. So, we were allowed to sit inside the TEST MULE. A completely unfinished car with pre-production materials in the cabin, and false body-panels...again something absolutely UNHEARD of in the auto world.

All the while, they've teased us with information, and issued "spy shots" for our pleasure and entertainment.

But that's not all. In the midst of all of this -- several VIPs have taken the time and patience to join this site and others and share tidbits of information with us, like Fbodfather, Camero, and Number 3. They don't have to do that, and by all rights, they shouldn't do that...but they do. And folks at GM watch this site and others...to gather our collective opinion on the car...for future improvements, changes, etc.

But it didn't end. After the car was produced, the Camaro team kept in touch with us. John Fitzpatrick, the marketing manager, keeping us informed and updated on Camaro issues, etc. And Fbodfather sticking around and keeping us all connected through various auto shows and Camaro enthusiast events. Number 3's practically one of us, , and we rarely think of these folks as "GM employees". They are friends, pals, and Camaro comrades.

Then, you criticize them for making money on a GREAT car! What, would you have them sell it for $12.99? The purpose of a business is to MAKE MONEY. That means engineer profit into vehicles. This is not new, and it is certainly not wrong by any stretch. Half the reason they had to be assisted last year was because they sold their vehicles for dirt cheap and made very little money on ther cars that people wanted.

Not that it matters. The price is a BARGAIN for what you get in this market, never mind competitive with other cars in the segment. So what do we care how much money they managed to make on it? Why get pissed? It means they'll be able to take that money and pour it back into the Camaro for future improvements and upgrades. The car is healthy and well, not running on fumes as the 4thgen was.

So get off your horse in regards to their making money...it's what they're supposed to do -- they're not screwing anyone over. And don't even attempt to tell me they don't care about the enthusiasts. Because that's worse than wrong...It's slanderous.

/Rant
Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #92
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Nice post.

80% V8.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #93
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Quote:

Seriously? Go buy your GT500.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #94
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

What the hell is the point of building a product if not to make money off of it?

If you invented an amazing product, you'd want to profit off of it too. Who's the hypocrite now?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #95
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Nice post.

80% V8.
Hopefully they start selling some V6's this year. They're the money makers and basically should be carrying the brand, not the SS.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #96
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS 1st gen View Post
Hopefully they start selling some V6's this year. They're the money makers and basically should be carrying the brand, not the SS.
turns out, the V8s are the money makers
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #97
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
as usual gm still doesn't get it. Next up..........gm shocked by lack of sales on new volt
Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #98
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
as usual gm still doesn't get it. Next up..........gm shocked by lack of sales on new volt

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote