Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
OEM wheel locks on new Malibu

So I'm curious to know if anyone has encountered this on a new vehicle. My brother-in-law just got a new Malibu and it came with these red wheel locks from the dealer. When he showed me the car I am immediately noticed them and asked him what they were they looked like locks however they didn't seem to be aftermarket. He said this salesman told him that they were wheel locks from the dealer and I asked him if he had received a key and he said no. We searched the entire car and found nothing. He went back to the dealer the next day and questioned them and they told him that they do not give out keys but if in the event he needed the car serviced Chevy roadside service or a dealership would be able to remove this lock. I stressed to him to have the dealership remove them and install the stock Lugnuts because if he was stuck and couldn't get Chevy roadside service on a certain road he would be screwed and have to pay a private tow truck company to come and tow the car. The Lugnuts are hollow and do not cover the end of the stem like a standard lug nut. Has anyone else encountered these on a new vehicle yet and if you have has anyone received a key with them?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Never heard of that before. I know a lot of dealers will install wheel locks on any & every car they can, but they always give the key (and the regular lug nuts) to the owner.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
That's crazy. What if I wanted to rotate my tires or work on the brakes in my garage. I would definitely encourage him to go back for the stock ones or the key.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Yes I agreed. I told him if he got a flat he would have to be towed to the dealership and have them take the tire off. And if it was on the weekend he could have to wait until Monday just to get the wheel taken off. Very stupid system.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote