Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
d_Lord17

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Transmission issues w/ 2012 V6 Autotrans LS

I have been having some problems lately with my transmission on my 2012 V6 LS. i bought the car off a private party about 2 months ago and didn't really notice a problem with it when i bought it. it has 74k miles on it currently & i was wondering if anyone else was having these problems. i read other threads but they were back in 2011-2012 when the year was released. i would really appreciate if someone could help me out on this if this is happening to you or you know if this issue. much appreciated

Problem: i'll get in my car cold/warm start, let it warm up regardless since i was always taught this was. problem only seems to happen when it is cold and fluids have been sitting for more than 4 hours or so.... but when i put it in gear to drive off, first gear will rev up to designated rpms, then the shift into 2nd, but once it reaches the shifting point from 2nd to 3rd it tends to slip, almost as if a manual is put into neutral for a second between 2nd & 3rd gear shift. following the slip, i hear a strange screeching or scratching noise & that noise happens between lower gear shifts. but it seems to somewhat fix itself or not slip as bad once i've been driving it for 15-20 min or so.

i don't know what the problem is and i some help would be great. i'm getting nervous as tho i will need to spend more to get the transmission replaced & wanted to see if it was even worth it? owner before me told me car had no problems, & when i test drove it for the first time before buying, it seemed like it ran really well, no slips or anything.

i was gonna take to the dealer today to see what they say or what they can do for me, if anything since the car is well over 70k already.

like i said i appreciate any of the help. thank you.
d_Lord17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
I have a 2015 2LS and my car exhibits the same or very similar symptoms except I have not noticed any noise associated with the issue.

I bought my car new and later installed a Trifecta tune so have wondered if the tune may be part of my issue.

My symptoms - I have noticed that the transmission seems to act almost like it is slipping when shifting to 3rd and sometimes to 4th. It is intermittent and more noticeable when using the tap shift. For example, moderate to heavy throttle, I hit tap shift to go from 2nd to 3rd and the transmission seems to take forever to shift and seems like it is almost slipping many times when it does decide to shift. Even in many cases with just a constant cruising rpm of around 3000 rpm, ( same whether in D or using tap shift), the transmission will jump up 1000 rpm during the shift from 2nd to 3rd as if slipping. I have also noticed it some going from 3rd to 4th but not as much.

I reverted to stock and took it in to the dealer and as expected, they could not find anything wrong and told me if there was slippage, there would be a error code coming up. It is intermittent so unless a Tech was going to take a little time driving it and trying different throttle actions, I would not expect too much luck anyway. Went home and reinstalled the tune and same issues.

I contacted Trifecta and asked them about it and they did not know of any issues but sent me a new tune with the transmission part returned to stock. I am trying that now and it does seem much better but does act like a little slip when shifting but not the 1000 rpm jump as before. Its only been a couple of days running with the revised tune so time will tell. Definitely feel the car not as responsive as it was with the other tune but may wind up being a compromise.

I still think there may be something else wrong and the tune just masks it. Car has 36K miles.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
ColdfuzionTN

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Mine was doing the same (2012 SS 6l80E). Some days would slip real bad, some would work perfectly fine. Took it to a transmission shop they test drove and ran diagnostics, couldn't find anything wrong.

Had them pull it ><. Had a cracked drum which 6l80e are known for and burnt up clutch pack. Hope its not the same as yours but get it checked out so that it doesn't hurt any hard parts. (32k miles on mine no launches). Had them go with upgraded drums while in there for now.
ColdfuzionTN is offline   Reply With Quote