Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #1
Jman64

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE in Rapid Blue
New 1LE having random sensor issues

I posted recently about buying a rapid blue 2SS 1LE, which I have been loving. Yesterday I took a small trip with it, 2.5hrs each way. On the way down to where I was going I noticed the check engine light was on. I pulled over and called Onstar to check the code. They told me it was an exhaust sensor reading values out of the normal range. I asked if it was ok to continue driving, to which they said it was a minor issue, and that I should just have it checked in 7 days. I got to where I was going fine. On the return trip about 30 minutes in I had a tire pressure warning pop up. Checking in the gauge display I could see there was no reading at all for the front left tire. I pulled into a gas station and checked the pressure to find it was fine. I continued my drive, and about 10 minutes later the tire pressure error went away, and I could see the PSI listed again in the info screen. Bit later the tire PSI warning popped up, but disappeared before I could even get to the info screen. Another half hour or so and the PSI warning comes on again. This time I pull over, and call Onstar again. They scan the car, see the lack of tire reading, and also tell me their is a code for an issue with my ABS system. However they also tell me there is no code for an exhaust issue. At this time my check engine light is still on, but I got no warning or message about ABS. So I begin cautiously driving the final bit home. At some point in the next 10 minutes or so the tire warning light goes off, I check and I can see the PSI reading in the info center. I also notice that the check engine light has gone off. As I get home I have no warning light of any kind showing up.

I do plan on going to my local Chevy service center first thing Monday morning with the 2 emails I got from Onstar detailing the codes they were seeing. I have to say this has given me real concerns over the cars reliability, at least from automated sensory side. Mechanically I never actually felt or heard anything out the norm. So I think the car was fine the whole time, but the sensor system was glitching. Has anyone dealt with this kind of issue, and was it something they were able to fix? I'm concerned now about the vehicles long term reliability.
Jman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
I have a 2019 1SS 1LE. Car hasn't had an issue and I have beat on it/tracked it hard. These cars don't have too many issues...wouldn't worry about reliability.

Sounds like a battery issue? No idea but would take it to dealer! Your car is brand new....
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Most likely front left TPMS sensor fault/low battery. The dealership should be able to scan codes, verify and replace the sensor as necessary.

Hopefully this is it, some new Camaros have small initial glitches, but they don't fail often past the break-in period.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:26 AM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Here is a possible cause of your TPMS issue if it ends up being separate from the other issues: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Post the codes you get, the actual letter and numbers.
I would not trust an OnStar rep to tell me anything.

The pressure warning message does sound like a connection failure between the device in the tire and the sensor on the car.
"Exhaust code" is too non-specific to give you an answer.
In general, if your check engine light is not flashing or you do not go into reduced-power mode, the car is fine to drive until you address the problem.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman64 View Post
I posted recently about buying a rapid blue 2SS 1LE, which I have been loving. Yesterday I took a small trip with it, 2.5hrs each way. On the way down to where I was going I noticed the check engine light was on. I pulled over and called Onstar to check the code. They told me it was an exhaust sensor reading values out of the normal range. I asked if it was ok to continue driving, to which they said it was a minor issue, and that I should just have it checked in 7 days. I got to where I was going fine. On the return trip about 30 minutes in I had a tire pressure warning pop up. Checking in the gauge display I could see there was no reading at all for the front left tire. I pulled into a gas station and checked the pressure to find it was fine. I continued my drive, and about 10 minutes later the tire pressure error went away, and I could see the PSI listed again in the info screen. Bit later the tire PSI warning popped up, but disappeared before I could even get to the info screen. Another half hour or so and the PSI warning comes on again. This time I pull over, and call Onstar again. They scan the car, see the lack of tire reading, and also tell me their is a code for an issue with my ABS system. However they also tell me there is no code for an exhaust issue. At this time my check engine light is still on, but I got no warning or message about ABS. So I begin cautiously driving the final bit home. At some point in the next 10 minutes or so the tire warning light goes off, I check and I can see the PSI reading in the info center. I also notice that the check engine light has gone off. As I get home I have no warning light of any kind showing up.

I do plan on going to my local Chevy service center first thing Monday morning with the 2 emails I got from Onstar detailing the codes they were seeing. I have to say this has given me real concerns over the cars reliability, at least from automated sensory side. Mechanically I never actually felt or heard anything out the norm. So I think the car was fine the whole time, but the sensor system was glitching. Has anyone dealt with this kind of issue, and was it something they were able to fix? I'm concerned now about the vehicles long term reliability.

These cars and all new cars have so many sensors and electronics. Many times just turning car off for 15 min to an hour will reset everything clear any lights. Many times there is no real issue just a glitch like all computers have.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Many times just turning car off for 15 min to an hour will reset everything clear any lights. Many times there is no real issue just a glitch like all computers have.
The correct approach is to look at the actual codes and evaluate before trying anything that clears or resets them. If you keep clearing them, how will you know if there is a pattern?

The codes have different levels of severity. Some codes require multiple logged events before the driver will ever see a notification (although a scan tool will reveal these "pending" codes).

The number of cars I have owned that have thrown codes because they were "new" or "too computerized" is zero.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
So what are the codes?

If it's just one tire then I'd just ask dealer to replace that TPMS under warranty first.

Need the exhaust codes to really be of any help, as others have said.

As for OnStar, the customer representatives I have talked to have always been nice, but yeah, not the people I would go to for mechanical advice. I have my own code reader, too. It has paid for itself many times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The correct approach is to look at the actual codes and evaluate before trying anything that clears or resets them. If you keep clearing them, how will you know if there is a pattern?

The codes have different levels of severity. Some codes require multiple logged events before the driver will ever see a notification (although a scan tool will reveal these "pending" codes).

The number of cars I have owned that have thrown codes because they were "new" or "too computerized" is zero.
These cars can go a bit nuts if the main battery is shot. When I test drove my old C7(RIP), the thing threw a slew of warnings and codes because the battery was dead after sitting in the showroom for too long.

But that's more accurately an electrical issue.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #9
Jman64

The exhaust code was,

ECM - Engine System P2096

The ABS

ABS - Braking and Stability System U0422

A bulb code

BOI - Bulb Outage Indicators C0750

I did not get any codes from Onstar for the tire sensor issue. I have an appointment Thursday morning to take the car in for inspection.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
ctrlz

If that is from the OnStar report it shows they don't know the codes!

P0296 is probably the most significant. Lean condition detected in post catalytic converter O2 sensor. Could be air leak.

U0422 is bad data from body control module. That one could be a fluke, or a connection issue. Keep an eye for other codes. Doubt you would get just one code if BCM or connection were bad.

C0750 is front left tire pressure sensor problem. Could be the sensor in the tire, the one on the car, or connection issue. Probably problem with unit in the tire.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
It's worth checking your driver's side rear fender well to make sure the tire isn't rubbing a hole through the liner into the wiring harness that is normally attached to the sheet metal underneath. A rash of Camaros had the harness detach and fall down toward the front/bottom of the liner, which pushed it out and caused the tire to rub through the liner and start wearing into the harness...which in turn would cause a number of seemingly unrelated indicators and issues. Happened to a friend's 2020. Took his dealership two or three visits to figure out what was causing all of it.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #12
Jman64

So I had it in this morning, and the Chevy service center went through the list of codes. After checking it over they "reset" the system, and told me it wasn't throwing any codes now, and drove fine.

I'll have to wait and see if it happens again. I'm always a little worried when they just hit the "reboot" switch and call it fixed. At least I'm starting the documenting of the problem incase it persists.