Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
L99 Guys, Think about this!!

Ok alot of you are talking about doing tunes and such since we see that can really wake up the L99. Myself having a slow one has thought about doing this. BUT that would void our warranty one the engine and the tranny. Not to good in my book.

But what if we just wait until some new gearing for the rear end comes out. some 3.73 or 3.9x would really get the car moving off the line. I would think the only warranty that would be gone is the one on the rear end. Also GM performance parts may have gearing coming I heard.

Just wanted to have some of you think about this and wait if you are worried about the warranty like I am. Gearing in the rear end is not going to break anything at all. And we have a 6 speed tranny and since the car is limited to 155MPH by limiter but car should do around 180MPH you are not losing anything there really.

Just something to think about.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
oldbowtie

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2013 Regal GS
I guess I got an L99 that was built on a good day (#7992). IMHO it is quite fast. I am very pleased with it's performance...both handling and quickness.

Understand, my previous performance cars were a 1966 Chevelle 327. 30-over, 202 heads, LT 1 intaked, etc. etc...and a 1970 Chevelle 350.

If I check most of the cars I grew up with (got the '66 in 1971 and the '70 in 1974), my
L99 would eat them for lunch.

Just my two cents.
oldbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Spectre-2112
Turn it up to 11.

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm not sure of the performance of the L99 yet. I'm waiting to break the engine in before I see the true performance of the engine. Only 1,350 miles before I break in the engine.
Spectre-2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
alrox

Drives: corvette
You void your powertrain warranty by changing the rear gear.

Spinning the engine faster than what the factory intended for a certain speed=no more warranty.

You must pay to play. Chevrolet is not your personal race team.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Changing the rear gear will void your warranty just as the tune will. A slow l99 will still be slow with different gears in the back.

You want a fast car you gotta pay to play.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
For my fiance's 09 Mustang, Ford offers 'performance tunes', gears, even superchargers (among other bits) that will not void the warranty if installed and purchased through an authorized dealer.

Dimmitt Chevrolet here in Tampa has told me the story is much the same for GMPP parts ordered through them, as well as Callaway kit (due to their nature as an authorized Callaway dealer). Obviously the GMPP selection is limited now, but that will change, I imagine.

I know that people will say that GMPP parts are not as good in terms of value as aftermarket companies' offerings, but if keeping the warranty safe is important, then paying a bit more for a bit less might be worth it.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
For my fiance's 09 Mustang, Ford offers 'performance tunes', gears, even superchargers (among other bits) that will not void the warranty if installed and purchased through an authorized dealer.

Dimmitt Chevrolet here in Tampa has told me the story is much the same for GMPP parts ordered through them, as well as Callaway kit (due to their nature as an authorized Callaway dealer). Obviously the GMPP selection is limited now, but that will change, I imagine.

I know that people will say that GMPP parts are not as good in terms of value as aftermarket companies' offerings, but if keeping the warranty safe is important, then paying a bit more for a bit less might be worth it.
From what I know, and a service manager at a dealership told me, is that it is up to the dealership. If say XX Chevrolet says they will install a supercharger/gears/mods and warranty them they can, but YY Chevrolet does not have to warranty the mods.

What this means is that if you get the mods done at a dealership in FL and happen to be driving in PA and something happens, you may be screwed. The other downside is the RIDICULOUS labor prices
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbowtie View Post
I guess I got an L99 that was built on a good day (#7992). IMHO it is quite fast. I am very pleased with it's performance...both handling and quickness.

Understand, my previous performance cars were a 1966 Chevelle 327. 30-over, 202 heads, LT 1 intaked, etc. etc...and a 1970 Chevelle 350.

If I check most of the cars I grew up with (got the '66 in 1971 and the '70 in 1974), my
L99 would eat them for lunch.

Just my two cents.

# 7920 here
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
#7038 is strong. Got a 4.6 once, but in the summer here it's mostly 5-5.2.

@PolishMike: Well, in the case of the Ford Parts, the warranty is preserved by Ford since you are using their tested aftermarket parts and authorized installers. The dealer made this clear: GMPP and Callaway parts will keep the factory warranty if installed by them (GMPP would be any Chevy dealer), any other parts would void the warranty on that particular part.

I'm sure GM could clarify the point, but if it works like I think the 'vette does...Callaways retain the factory warranty with an overlapping 3 year warranty on all Callaway kit added (so the MagnaCharger, for example, gets a 3 year warranty).

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...jects/FAQs.htm
Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-2112 View Post
I'm not sure of the performance of the L99 yet. I'm waiting to break the engine in before I see the true performance of the engine. Only 1,350 miles before I break in the engine.
If I were you I definately wouldn't wait until 1500 miles to drive your car hard. I would start driving it hard the next time you get behind the wheel. That has been proving to work really well for the guys that want their cars to run fast.
A long extended slow break in seem to have the opposite effect on the L99s.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre-2112 View Post
If I were you, I definately wouldn't wait until 1500 miles to drive the car hard. I would start driving it hard right now. That has been proving to work really well for the guys that want their cars to run fast.
A long extended slow break in seems to have the opposite effect on the L99s.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Not stealing the thread here, but say we drive it with a bit of spirit under 4-5k rpm's until 500 miles for the first oil change. then start driving it hard?
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Not worried about the warranty at all. I already have ARH headers just have to put them on, decided on a CAI, will get a tune, the trans tune alone is worth its weight in gold..well I guess a tune doesn`t weigh anything...lol.. but you get my point. Plus next year after profit sharing checks go out at work, I`m putting on a Whipple Supercharger...I really doubt GM will be worried about a measly tune if I was so brash to take it in for driveline warranty work w/ that big honking blower under the hood....

So even if all you have is a tune they can deny driveline warranty but your warranty is intact on everything else, electronics, sheetmetal, suspension, ect..Most of us know GM`s motors last unless pushed way beyond their design limits, their electrical parts....Ehhhh.... not so much....

So if you can`t afford to play w/ the big boys, and suck up the cost of mechanical repairs if they are needed (I do most of this myself) you should definetly refrain from a tune. Just my opinion, I am in no way putting anyone down, that is just how I would handle it in either position. I have 2 other cars and a company provided car, so if this one had to sit its no big deal for me. Those that this is their only transportation should put that into consideration as well.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ok alot of you are talking about doing tunes and such since we see that can really wake up the L99. Myself having a slow one has thought about doing this. BUT that would void our warranty one the engine and the tranny. Not to good in my book.

But what if we just wait until some new gearing for the rear end comes out. some 3.73 or 3.9x would really get the car moving off the line. I would think the only warranty that would be gone is the one on the rear end. Also GM performance parts may have gearing coming I heard.

Just wanted to have some of you think about this and wait if you are worried about the warranty like I am. Gearing in the rear end is not going to break anything at all. And we have a 6 speed tranny and since the car is limited to 155MPH by limiter but car should do around 180MPH you are not losing anything there really.

Just something to think about.
I really just wish they could figure out what the deal is with your car. Of all the people to have an issue like that, I hate that it was you. I know that GM is working on it, and at the very least they are taking it seriously. It sucks though, Murphy is a cold bastard......

I hope Steph is doing well
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote