Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
What Smoky is saying is that the spring compressors are NOT a must. Recommended....yes.....must....no. I put some around the stock ones because I had some compressors already and didn't know how they would react. If I remember correctly I only did it around the first spring and then realized they weren't under any real tension. Still...for safety if probably would be a good idea just in case.

Definately no need for compressors to put the springs in.

If you have decent mechanical experience all of this is easy and can be done on jack stands if need. Like anything else though a lift and air tools is much easier.

Timing of bushings and alignment IS a MUST!
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
x2martell24

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Thanks everyone for being helpful. That’s what’s great about this forum.

X2martell24 – Reaper SS has a good point about the springs. You’ll need a spring compressor or take them to a shop and have them swap springs for you. It would be prudent to locate a shop that will remove and install the springs on your strut assemblies before starting the project.

Could you give me step by step what would be most efficient/effective in terms of what parts to do in what order with the Race Pack?
I noticed that the instructions all come as seperate installs so there is no real definitive order from start to finish. Knowing that you have to drill holes in the strut towers and such, I figured it would probably be smart to do that while the struts are out.
Let me know if you have a straight 1-10 type list of what to do first to last with the whole pack.

Thanks!!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
Could you give me step by step what would be most efficient/effective in terms of what parts to do in what order with the Race Pack?
I noticed that the instructions all come as seperate installs so there is no real definitive order from start to finish. Knowing that you have to drill holes in the strut towers and such, I figured it would probably be smart to do that while the struts are out.
Let me know if you have a straight 1-10 type list of what to do first to last with the whole pack.

Thanks!!

X2martell24 – You probably saw the video we posted earlier in the thread. It’s a condensed version of installing the Hotchkis Track Pack. Your Race Pack will also include the Chassis Max Strut Brace, which will need to be installed while you have the front struts out of the car to install the front coil springs. If you have questions during the installation you can call us toll free for assistance from our very knowledgeable staff.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
x2martell24

Quote:
X2martell24 – You probably saw the video we posted earlier in the thread. It’s a condensed version of installing the Hotchkis Track Pack. Your Race Pack will also include the Chassis Max Strut Brace, which will need to be installed while you have the front struts out of the car to install the front coil springs. If you have questions during the installation you can call us toll free for assistance from our very knowledgeable staff.

Excellent! Thanks again to everyone! I have the parts and now Im ready to go!!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
x2martell24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrown562 View Post
How much does this kit run you?
Talk to Shawn from Import Image. They are a sponsor/vendor on C5. He hooked me up HUGE compared to all other prices because of my C5 membership!
Find him!!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #20
Smoky

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I don't feel there is a definitive order. Choose where you feel like starting. Front or rear, chassis brace can be done at any time. Work according to your logic but some stuff is obvious. Like you have to unbolt the end links to drop the struts. The struts have to be pulled in front if you wish to install the tower brace. (not required for maintenance removal later) So you end being half way to either the sway bar or strut removal. May be easiest to say , do them at the same time as you see it. Most important is making sure you check and double check all components and installs before moving on with the install. Keep track of where you have been.

Time the bushings
4 wheel alignment
Go find some road..... enjoy
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
x2martell24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I don't feel there is a definitive order. Choose where you feel like starting. Front or rear, chassis brace can be done at any time. Work according to your logic but some stuff is obvious. Like you have to unbolt the end links to drop the struts. The struts have to be pulled in front if you wish to install the tower brace. (not required for maintenance removal later) So you end being half way to either the sway bar or strut removal. May be easiest to say , do them at the same time as you see it. Most important is making sure you check and double check all components and installs before moving on with the install. Keep track of where you have been.

Time the bushings
4 wheel alignment
Go find some road..... enjoy
That is pretty much how I saw it too. At first it just seems a little overwhelming with 5 different install manuals, but like you said, with all these components, when one comes off, it affects the others. It is kind of an "all at once" process.
Thanks for the input!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #22
Hotchkis

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks again to everyone! I have the parts and now Im ready to go!!

x2martell24 - Good luck with the install. Let us know how everything turns out and how you like your new parts!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
x2martell24

Quote:
x2martell24 - Good luck with the install. Let us know how everything turns out and how you like your new parts!
I have installed the full kit and am taking the car in to get the alignment and timing done on Friday (it is not being driven until then). I will post photos soon.

I do have a problem with the chassis brace hitting my SLP 3" mufflers that run RIGHT UNDER the brace!! I don't think the spacer kit is going to be quite enough clearance. Is it possible to get two kits (using double shims) without any issues??

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #24
Smoky

Great, you will be impressed! I don't regret it for a minute. All I left in that vane is to upgrade my end links. They seem so puny now, I can see them failing under hard use. But I imagine after upgrading the links one will need to reinforce the lower control arm connection point as it appears to be a weak link (tongue in cheek) now. That is the nature of the game, upgrade this and now that needs upgraded. The hard part in knowing where to stop. I don't think I can. Now worries my monies run out long before my desires...
Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #25
Hotchkis

Quote:
I have installed the full kit and am taking the car in to get the alignment and timing done on Friday (it is not being driven until then). I will post photos soon.

I do have a problem with the chassis brace hitting my SLP 3" mufflers that run RIGHT UNDER the brace!! I don't think the spacer kit is going to be quite enough clearance. Is it possible to get two kits (using double shims) without any issues??

Thanks!

X2martell24 – Do you have a picture of the interference? That seems excessive. Is it possible to reposition the exhaust pipes by loosening the exhaust clamps?

The Chassis Max spacer kit comes with ½” spacers.

You can also call our toll free tech line for help: 888-735-6425
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
x2martell24

Quote:
X2martell24 – Do you have a picture of the interference? That seems excessive. Is it possible to reposition the exhaust pipes by loosening the exhaust clamps?

The Chassis Max spacer kit comes with ½” spacers.

You can also call our toll free tech line for help: 888-735-6425
I konw it does sound excessive. I think it is because the actual muffler sits in the tunnel there. Quite a bit larger than just the 3" pipe. I don't have pics at this time, but I already ordered the spacer kit, so I will keep you informed on how it goes. Maybe it just seems like more than an inch when I look at it from under the car. Lets hope.

thanks again!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
x2martell24

Finished!!

Some before (First 4) and afters!! This package is more than I ever could have expected!! Thank you all for the constant support during the install!
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
Smoky

Looks great, I love the ride and increased ride control. I see you also did the brace as did I. Sure seemed like the thing to do at the time. Would have been interesting to see if one can feel the difference in adding it to the track pack. Mine was a all at once install so I cant say. I also did the rear Pfadt arm package. It feels locked and loaded, or should I say connected?