Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
Lizey93

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Catalytic Converter Rattles When Below Freezing??

For the last month or so ever since Michigan finally got cold, Christine has made an AWFUL rattling/buzzing noise from the front of the car when I first start it up in the morning and am letting it warm up. This noise persists until the engine warms up and then it goes away. Today, however, it was about 50 degrees and the noise completely went away? I am having the dealer check it out under warranty but they can't get me in for a couple of weeks but I was just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced this? Its a 2013 LFX. This coincided with my gas mileage dropping from 25-26ish to 19-20ish which leads me to believe I have catalytic converter issues but I am unsure.
1993 GMC K1500 "Old Blue"
1943 Farmall A
Lizey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Took my wife's '04 Malibu in for a bad rattle after it had to sit outside in sub zero temps over new years. I thought it could've been anything between valve or piston clatter to a pulley or pump going bad. The oil had just been changed a couple weeks earlier so I hoped it wasn't piston or valves not getting oil. Rolled it to my mechanic and he went hunting and discovered the front cat is going out. I heard it quietly rattling this morning after sitting in a 60 degree garage so I reckon I'll be squeezing my wallet in the near future for the cash to get it replaced.

Just for your information he quoted me $600 installed for the damn thing. I've seen the part since for as little as $99 and over $400 so.... I asked about deleting it and going with a "test pipe" but he demurred vigorously. We're going to wait until the motor starts choking a bit or the noise gets just to annoying.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Gasoholic

Drives: o
If your cats rattle its time for new cats. Bottom line.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Had severe vibrating/humming upon cold start for minute or so (passenger side only) when temp below 40. Problem went away when I switched to Solo HF cats
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Dragonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoholic View Post
If your cats rattle its time for new cats. Bottom line.
I agree. Holidays and mods to house over the last year has my wallet fairly empty. It'll get replaced when it has to and can be. Right now, the car is running normally, except for the noise, so it hasn't reached the has to stage yet.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I have a rattle on cold starts with my LT's, probably just a heat shield that needs pushed back in
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Gasoholic

Drives: o
A heat shield rattle is different. If the cats are rattling internally the honey comb material is coming apart inside. It can become lodged in the pipes and choke off your exhaust.
In the worst case it can cause stalling and no start conditions. And it came happen out of the blue like driving down the e-way your engine suddenly stalls. More often it just causes reduced power but occasionally it'll leave you having to call a tow truck.
Factory cats have a pretty good warranty. They ought to, they cost like an arm and a leg.
If you have factory cats I'd try to get them repaired under warranty.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
I agree. Holidays and mods to house over the last year has my wallet fairly empty. It'll get replaced when it has to and can be. Right now, the car is running normally, except for the noise, so it hasn't reached the has to stage yet.
Don't know if this is something that interests you but Id do a pay it forward if it is. I'm installing LT headers and high flow cats soon so I will be disposing of my stock cats from my 2015 1ss. Any interest in having them sent your way? Car has 28K on the odo so I would suspect cats are just fine
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoholic View Post
A heat shield rattle is different. If the cats are rattling internally the honey comb material is coming apart inside. It can become lodged in the pipes and choke off your exhaust.
In the worst case it can cause stalling and no start conditions. And it came happen out of the blue like driving down the e-way your engine suddenly stalls. More often it just causes reduced power but occasionally it'll leave you having to call a tow truck.
Factory cats have a pretty good warranty. They ought to, they cost like an arm and a leg.
If you have factory cats I'd try to get them repaired under warranty.
I don't have cats so that's why I figure it's a heat shield because my car is loud
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Dragonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Don't know if this is something that interests you but Id do a pay it forward if it is. I'm installing LT headers and high flow cats soon so I will be disposing of my stock cats from my 2015 1ss. Any interest in having them sent your way? Car has 28K on the odo so I would suspect cats are just fine

Thanks for the offer but the cat I need is for an '04 Malibu. I'd be interested in the information on those quad halo lights you posted in another thread though.