Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #141
seattlelumin.com

Drives: none
OK. I was just curious if that particular wire is 12 volt power, or the AC output of the EL wire driver already in the vehicle.

-mike
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #142
seattlelumin.com

Drives: none
I do carry orange wire. The wire I stock is manufacturered by Lytec, who are the original manufacturers of EL wire and generally considered to be the highest quality suppliers. IF GM uses Lytec in their vehicles, and I'd be surprised if they don't, then there should be no problem matching the orange.

-mike
http://www.seattlelumin.com
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #143
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
You are one sick man Tecc! Love what you did, I hope I can do this right without f'n anything up. You didn't post anything about how long this process would take after reading your directions. It seems like not more than half a days work. But it is easier to read than to do, I'm sure.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #144
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
I wonder if we could make this happen on a 1ss
Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #145
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
Let us know if you get any squeeks!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #146
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
I wonder if we could make this happen on a 1ss
I would say Yes, GM normaly puts the same wires and conectors in both models, saves them money. The 1SS does not include the option but I'll make a safe bet if you take your panel off you will see the exsact same conectors.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #147
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
Quote:
I asked this question during an IDL, and posted the repsonse some time ago - it was due to glare / safety issues.
Thanks for the clarification, I trust your word more than his.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #148
Tecca

Drives: ...
Well guys sorry for taking so long, to get something up at least to get everyone started. Here is a write up minus the pictures. They will come shortly afterwards.

Installation options:
Beginner: Takes about 30 minutes to install Cost $50
Intermediate: Takes about 3 hours to install Cost $60
Advance: Take about 6-9 hours to install Cost $75

Electroluminescent Wire vs. Tape and colors
This is where things are a little tricky so I will give a brief explanation on to help you choose on what to pick.

Wire: The one thing I noticed about the wire is that wither blue or aqua they do not match the same blue on the door trim probably because of the different technology but the blue is the closest and not the aqua as previously stated. The cool thing about wire is that it glows which means you get light 360 degree around which makes installation a whole lot easier. Downside it isn’t as bright as light tape but is easier to install.

LightTape: This stuff is awesome and I am considering using this stuff in my house. This stuff is about three times brighter than wire down side it only emits light in one direction. The natural blue however is the closest to what we have installed.

Installation Break Down:

Beginner: (This step will not have any pictures but if you have any questions just ask)

This installation is for those who want something fast, easy to do, worried about voiding their warranty, and just want to give it a go. It is the least visible during the day but does light up the dash at night!!!!

What is needed for this install:
6 feet .9mm El Blue Wire Car Kit
1 foot .9mm El Blue Wire (Terminated)
2 way splitter
Electrical tape
6 Feet of Wire
Splice Connectors

With this install you will not be using the connector on the driver side panel instead you will simply be using the plain 12v cigarette inverter that comes with the car kit.

Step One: Take both ends panels off the dash, this is just a simple pull.

Step Two: Take the 1 foot el wire and simply tuck the wire behind the trim molding and run it to the inside of the panel. You do not want to push it two far down just enough so that it is not visible. Only use the .9mm for this step as the 2.2 mm is too thick. Try to keep it as even as possible if one section is down to far the lighting will look uneven.

Step Three: Do the same on the other side

Step Four: Now comes the wiring you will need to splice the wire on both ends to extend it to the center console as we are using the cigarette type 12v inverter in this step so we will wire it directly to the cigarette accessory in the console. So simply cut the wire above the connection on the el wire and extend it so that it will reach the center of the console and that you can connect both ends to the 2-way splitter. Next run the wiring from the cigarette inverter to the end of the inverter and plug it in.

Intermediate Install: Pictures to come shortly

This install in pretty much the same as the beginner install however we will take out the trim pieces and attach the wiring directly to the piece as well as wire in the inverter directly to the wiring in the drivers side panel. We will still use el wire in this install but will use the thicker wire. The good thing about this install is that it will function along with the ABL on the doors it will dim and light up as the ABL should.

6 feet 2.2mm EL Blue Wire (Terminated)
1 Foot 2.2mm El Blue Wire (Terminated)
2 way splitter
Box inverter
Electrical tape
8 feet of wire
Splice Connectors

Instructions Coming Soon

Advance install:

This install will make it look as it was meant to look it makes it look as real as possible and bright enough that it blends with the door panels. This is pretty much the same install as the intermediate installation however you will be sanding the bevel on the trim. The cool thing about the light tape with this install although it is brighter it is shining light through the trim panel and not around it. It doesn’t reflect the lighting on the windshield either. The reason to use light tape rather than el wire with the sanded piece is that it will make it a uniform glow as where the wire unless put on perfectly straight near impossible to do will not be uniform and look a little cheap.

8 feet of Light tape Natural Blue .25 Inch wide
Box Inverter
Electrical Tape
2 way splitter
8 feet of wire
Splice Connectors
Sandpaper 600 grit

Instructions Coming Soon: Want to make sure I have everything right and do not want to give the wrong info out!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #149
Tecca

Drives: ...
Just in case I need some more space!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #150
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #151
camarorick

Drives: .
Teccboxx........ Waiting for the advanced instructions
Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #152
Double O Nick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Send a message via AIM to Double O Nick
Any word on IOM ABL light color? red or orange.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #153
thecamaroguy

Drives: 2020 ZLE 67 SS350
This is amazing work guys!
Thanks for writing this up...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #154
HannoverFist

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Excellent write up, TeccBoxx. I haven't had occasion to see EL tape in person, but now you've got me interested!

HannoverFist

Closed Thread

Tags
abl, dashboard