Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Anyone cross shopping the Z06?

I was set on a Z camaro. My wife is not a fan of the camaro and is pushing me to a Vette. I wanted the camaro for the back seats to stuff the kids in there once in a blue. Now I'm up in the air.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Z06 is an awesome car, but it really is an impractical car other than take it on a nice day and have 2 people in it, Z07 package even ups the impracticalness, especially the Michellins PCS2's. Really a street legal track car...depends on what you are looking to use it for. My SS will be driver mostly every day, no snow or real crappy weather and my kids love the backseat! They will be in it not that often but it is nice we can go all go out as a family for ice cream or something, or even just for a drive!...my 2 cents.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Maybe when the kid is in college...or high school.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
If you can afford to cross shop a Z06, I say you can afford to be impractical all you want. Get whichever gives you the biggest grin. If I was in that financial situation I could not in good peace of mind buy a Z06... I'd rip it to pieces driving on my very krappy roads. If your area can handle it, again I say get the Z!

Stock. For now...
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Trans damm

I won't daily drive either car. I did anticipate putting my daughter (17 months) in the back a few times a summer but I don't know how the car seat will fit, and were planning number two now. I'm in love with the Z06 but I was trying to be more sensible but my wife really doesn't like the Camaro and even though it's not her car her opinion is putting a damper on my excitement. I want a loaded Z07 if I go that route, maybe I'll find a real low mileage 15' and save some $ over new. I haven't driven a Z06 yet so I guess that will be the deciding factor. I had a new c6 and I liked it but daily drove it. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
Ha! Completely opposite in my household. I want a Z06, but wifey is not having that. We drove the CTS-V and she like that, but now that we have looked at the Camaro, We are leaning towards the 2SS. Just a great car for the value!

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Trans damm

I bought a house 2 years ago and when my CTSV lease went back i bought a pos to save some cash. Now I'm going to keep the pos to drive to work but I'm ready for a toy. I just bought her a 60k suv for her and the kids. I love the new CTSV but I want a garage toy. 100k daily driver gets old in NY.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I bought a house 2 years ago and when my CTSV lease went back i bought a pos to save some cash. Now I'm going to keep the pos to drive to work but I'm ready for a toy. I just bought her a 60k suv for her and the kids. I love the new CTSV but I want a garage toy. 100k daily driver gets old in NY.
so...
are you set on GM toy?
ZL1
Z06

I look at it like this...my parents live about 45 minutes away (kid needs to see grandparents), and there's always weekend drives...I have a 30month old kid, how can I get a two seater enjoy it taking drives with the family? Oh, and we all carpool together on the weekdays, yes all three of us go to the same place. Unless you plan on being in it alone a lot.

If i could spend 100K, i'd also have to look at Godzilla and maybe Porsche 911 (is there a 911 at 100K?)

100K opens up some more doors, but I think I'd go with a Z06 if a two seater was an option.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I am going impractical on my purchase also...I am waiting for a Z Camaro DD.
My choice came to having back seats and a little more storage than the Vette!
The Impracticality is that I have 2 other High Performance cars that are Garaged!
I just like to drive a high horsepower car, that handles, and gets decent gas mileage!
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Trans damm

My parents are an hour away and my dad is a big car guy. He's at shows/events every week so my intention was to throw the family in and go meet him with the Camaro. I just don't know if the rear facing seat will fit and my wife is against putting my kid back there. So it makes the Camaro kind of pointless. That's the Delma. I'm not considering the Nissan or p-car. Neither interest me. If anything I was looking at new vipers or a used lambo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
so...
are you set on GM toy?
ZL1
Z06

I look at it like this...my parents live about 45 minutes away (kid needs to see grandparents), and there's always weekend drives...I have a 30month old kid, how can I get a two seater enjoy it taking drives with the family? Oh, and we all carpool together on the weekdays, yes all three of us go to the same place. Unless you plan on being in it alone a lot.

If i could spend 100K, i'd also have to look at Godzilla and maybe Porsche 911 (is there a 911 at 100K?)

100K opens up some more doors, but I think I'd go with a Z06 if a two seater was an option.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
The z06 is a gorgeous beast. Like a number of other folks, I had never even considered getting a vette until I saw the c7 and learned of their performance.

Imo from an aesthetic standpoint, the z06 will be a better looker than whatever the new zl1 looks like. Performance wise, if the new zl1 tops out at 65k, it would be hard to justify a 35k premium for a decked out z06. I momentarily thought about looking for a used z06, but we just had a son 4 months ago, and I don't feel like waiting 12 years before I can ride with my boy....although my wife still thinks I should go with the sexy vette. Given that I already have a 2-seater that's staying with me, I couldn't quite understand that rationale, but hey, I'm just stoked she's not vetoing any of this 'new car' funny talk. The new zl1 will be an absolute bargain and provides the best of so many different worlds and that makes it a more logical choice than the z06.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I wanted the gen6 "ZL1" but I couldn't wait and got my 2SS. My goal is to grab the "ZL1" next IF it does have the LT4. Zo6 is a very serious machine, I love it and you cannot go wrong with it.

Only cons of Zo6 vs a camaro will be the insurance, maintenance cost (tires mainly), mpg (but no one should care about that when we start talking about PERFORMANCE vehicles tbh) and the comfort. I am a big guy and I do NOT feel comfortable in the C7. I am however very comfortable in my 2SS. Not to mention that zo6 is at least 20k MORE on a USED zo6 over a camaro "ZL1" NEW if we estimate "ZL1" will cost 60k. Which financially might not be an issue for you but you gotta keep in mind, the more the value the more yearly tax you pay for it (IF the county/state does a property tax on vehicles).

As for the whole road trip hauling luggages/kids part. C7 is a much more practical machine if you ask me. Camaro's backseats are laughable and it's really only good for a backpack, your wife's purse and kids under 6 lol. The trunk size is damn good but the trunk opening can only fit a carry on size bag (no big samsonite luggages). Golf clubs do still fit in just fine but that is a 1 long tube, not a rectangular luggage.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
My parents are an hour away and my dad is a big car guy. He's at shows/events every week so my intention was to throw the family in and go meet him with the Camaro. I just don't know if the rear facing seat will fit and my wife is against putting my kid back there. So it makes the Camaro kind of pointless. That's the Delma. I'm not considering the Nissan or p-car. Neither interest me. If anything I was looking at new vipers or a used lambo.
well...ZL1 man.

Your child won't be in the rear facing very long...a front facing will fit I'm 99.99% sure in the back seat...which I think is the preferred location for safety...as far as i know the front seat is not ideal for a child.

Unless your wife plans on driving a separate car to your parents for shows/events etc., kinda hard to have a two seater.

But you know what...if my wife was saying "you better get the Z06"...like twist my arm right...?

ok, good luck, but I'm gonna have to say the ZL1 is the better choice for a family with a small one.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
Trans damm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
well...ZL1 man.

Your child won't be in the rear facing very long...a front facing will fit I'm 99.99% sure in the back seat...which I think is the preferred location for safety...as far as i know the front seat is not ideal for a child.

Unless your wife plans on driving a separate car to your parents for shows/events etc., kinda hard to have a two seater.

But you know what...if my wife was saying "you better get the Z06"...like twist my arm right...?

ok, good luck, but I'm gonna have to say the ZL1 is the better choice for a family with a small one.
Yes. I agree with you. And that was the plan. Seemed perfect. Then realized God willing I will have a second one in the next year. By time I take delivery of a Z* I will be a few months away from another little one that will be in a rear facing seat for 3 years. She won't flip the seat foward for my 17 month daughter to watch the tv's I paid extra for so she could watch in her new truck. She's nuts with the baby (in a good way) so I figured I have to stop forcing the Camaro. I don't want to buy it and only find out I still can't take the family out and then regret not just getting the vette. I'm gonna try and drive a Z06 in the next few weeks then see. Hopefully there will be some more Z Camaro info soon. The Z06 is also tempting because I can have it for this summer Vs taking deliver in a Ny winter and waiting another full year to enjoy it.