Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
mdcp

Drives: Camaro 2LT
V6 Gear swap, JRE questions

So I have a 2012 RS V6 M6 and I plan on doing a gear swap. I've read the rear ends in the RS and SS manuals are similar. I have heard of a few people running them so I decided on going with 4.11s. I have ordered parts:
#89-0003-1 , For the gears. and #83-1077-1 , for the install Kit. I plan to use 75w-140 AMS oil and their friction modifier.

I was doing some research and read the JRE Posi mod and Billet caps are good ideas as well since I will be tearing into the diff already.

I guess my questions are for anybody that knows or has done the swap, is the Diff Kit I ordered compatible? Also if the JRE mods, originally for the SS, are also compatible with my V6? If there are any other things or surprises you guys recommend, or have run into, I would appreciate the help thanks!
mdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
While I cannot 100% confirm, I do believe that the manual models are compatible. I had jre to mine, 3.45 to 3.91 with the Eaton truetec position rear. Love it. Made the car really wake up. A little more noise on the low gear shifts but other than that a great choice imo. Call jre direct they were super nice and easy to deal with. The only issue I had was the 750 mile break in period. Hated having to wait to use the new found power
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
mdcp

Update

UPDATE: All the parts mentioned worked for the Camaro RS M6 V6 only thing not installed were the billet caps, they gave me some trouble upon install so ended up not utilizing them. Currently in the break-in period but I can already notice a huge difference! Only current downside is you're at 3k rpms at 80mph and a loss of about 2mpg, but you gata pay to play. Gears aren't too noisy I cant really hear them (or my exhaust is too loud). I can tell a difference with the Posi upgrade already, waiting to really use it after I get the MTs and can really take off. Will be updating When I get a chance to get some quarter and 0-60 times for everyone!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcp View Post
UPDATE: All the parts mentioned worked for the Camaro RS M6 V6 only thing not installed were the billet caps, they gave me some trouble upon install so ended up not utilizing them. Currently in the break-in period but I can already notice a huge difference! Only current downside is you're at 3k rpms at 80mph and a loss of about 2mpg, but you gata pay to play. Gears aren't too noisy I cant really hear them (or my exhaust is too loud). I can tell a difference with the Posi upgrade already, waiting to really use it after I get the MTs and can really take off. Will be updating When I get a chance to get some quarter and 0-60 times for everyone!
Is first gear basically unusable now?

What made you go for the 4.11's instead of the more common 3.91's?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
mdcp

As far as cruising, first gear isn't THAT bad(IMO), you reach 3k rpms at 14mph. I haven't taken off full throttle yet so I cant really tell. I chose the 4.11s because I hadn't really seen anybody else do it and honestly was curious lol! I was scared I was going to regret getting the 3.73s and wouldn't feel the difference and said shoot what the heck!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcp View Post
As far as cruising, first gear isn't THAT bad(IMO), you reach 3k rpms at 14mph. I haven't taken off full throttle yet so I cant really tell. I chose the 4.11s because I hadn't really seen anybody else do it and honestly was curious lol! I was scared I was going to regret getting the 3.73s and wouldn't feel the difference and said shoot what the heck!
Go big or go home huh hahaha. I might get 3.91's down the road so its nice to hear your impressions even though you have the 4.11's. Keep us updated.