Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunSS View Post
I tried to be specific in that I am trying to compare Vararam alone vs CAI + a ram air hood (by CAI i mean Cold Air Intake, not CAI INC, the company). There are many very reputable companies like k&n, bkk etc who make open systems that would work well with ram air hood.
Please do some research.
None of those are even close to the top 3

There is a thread here with detailed dyno report of all the big name cai performed by a 3rd party shop.

Those were not even close.

Vanaram, cai inc and Roto fab are the top cai systems right now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
ShaunSS

Drives: BOB, Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
Please do some research.
None of those are even close to the top 3

There is a thread here with detailed dyno report of all the big name cai performed by a 3rd party shop.

Those were not even close.

Vanaram, cai inc and Roto fab are the top cai systems right now.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the nomenclature so i may not say all the right things. I understand those arent on the top 3 or close to the best, i was just naming off names off the top of my head. ACtually in a picture above i posted a picture of rotofab. So then my thing would be a comparison of vararam alone vs rotofab PLUS a ram air hood that works with rotofab design.
ShaunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm new to the nomenclature so i may not say all the right things. I understand those arent on the top 3 or close to the best, i was just naming off names off the top of my head. ACtually in a picture above i posted a picture of rotofab. So then my thing would be a comparison of vararam alone vs rotofab PLUS a ram air hood that works with rotofab design.
this is not a common mod.
So trying to find accurate examples is going to be tough.
The systems don't need a modded hood so people just don't do it very often.
Good luck and welcome.
There is a ton of info here and very helpful people.

530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
ShaunSS

Drives: BOB, Black on Black
I just want a good system. I am okay with just having cold air intake alone, but would really like to take advantage of a new hood. Im a former WS6 guy so I do like the look of the ram air hood scoops. So getting functionality with ram air, and heat extractors, on top of being easy on the eyes, that seems to be like a 3 fold reason to invest the money on it. The only reason i would not do this is if the ram air from the ram air hood would NOT benefit for example a rotofab air filter, given that the hood has slots that push the air directly to the air filter.
ShaunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I had CAI, Inc intake and Apex scoop w/washer bottle relocate kit on my SS. With fender well liner removed you can see
the Apex bottle which mounts to the side of the scoop. The foil insulation you see at top is the inside of the air box. The advantage here is that there is a huge ass OEM washer bottle right in front of the intake box that gets removed. The relocate bottle one holds about a half gallon, so you might have to refill it more often, if you use it. I never used my washers once in 3 1/2 years of owning this car, but had to be there for state inspection.
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Quote:
Hello all! In August I bought a 2010 black on black 2SS with 31,000 miles. With all the usual options, and of course sexier than Kate Upton naked at a nude beach in the middle of July. For those of you interested i'll post a picture too.

Waiting for the picture of Kate Upton naked at a nude beach in the middle of July. Puhleezeee....
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
No beach, but we went golfing last summer. Luckily I had more strokes than usual.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
There are a few things to consider here, which some here have already brought mention to.

1. If you want a hood buy it for styling, not for performance gains. As for a hood/CAI combo, we sell CAI's to one of the most popular hood manufacturers on this forum and he couples them with his hood. So either route you go in terms of hood/no hood we have you covered. Even he will tell you (along with most of the reputable speed shops, tuners and car builders on here) that a hood fed CAI is not going to offer you much more in terms of performance, especialy for the price, compared to just the CAI or aa CAI with a scoop.

2. It seems that many on here have already reccomended our CAI (Cold Air Inductions Inc. aka "CAI Inc.") with the scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, this is an extremely popular option for good reason. The gains have been tested, proven over and over, and the set-up is ran by many members here who can attest to the gains they feel, as well as the gains they see on the Dyno and experience at the track.

3. As far as your choice for a CAI, that is completely up to you, just please do you research. I think if you do that you will find why we are one of the more popular options among enthusiasts, and it's definitely not because we are the cheapest because we are from it. As far as Ram Air goes, here is an interesting read for you:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48033

4. If you need anything or have questions about our CAI and the benefits it provides please let me know. Aside from providing a great product that is made right here in the USA, we also strive to provide a high level of customer service. That being said, let me know if you have questions or need anything. I would be happy to help.

Thanks!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, ram air, vararam