Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #43
camaro 1LT dude

Drives: cyber grey metallic v6 1LT
SICK BUT HOW WILL IT COMPARE to the original that one is awesome its going to be hard to beet that British humor but i watch it will be a new twist good luck top gear usa i hope your great love to see the camaro in your video look fun cant wait
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #44
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoy View Post
Ok, the British show is not only about the cars driving fast. It is about the news, the personalities of the hosts, the dominating celebrity of JC, the politically incorrect remarks, the crazy/mean comparisons, constantly making fun of the government, the environmentalists, at times being really brutal. I don't think that the US guys will have the balls to be that bold. JC made the show what it is, he has been around for decades reviewing cars and has a huge reputation, nobody from the US cast even comes close to filling those shoes. In addition, do you really think that the US show host will be abel to say on US television something like "I would rather have smallpox hand-fed to me by taliban than drive this mustang"? (it's just an exaggerated example so lay off;-))I seriously doubt that they will be that brutal to a US automaker in the US. There is too much politics and fear of getting sewed and the network will not allow that. I would like to see what will happen with the show but am not optimistic.
Good points. One of my favorite things is that they do not pander to any car maker. If they think a car is crap they say it. I also don't think that level of brutal honesty will exist. And I haven't been a big fan of Tanner on his other shows. US car show hosts just seem to be reading crappy lines off a cue card. I enjoy the power block but good god is it corny. Most things on speed are the same.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #45
zepcom
Zeta Brother to Camaro

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
In one of the segments they showed at the taping shows Tanner poke fun of the British a little
Wasn't tanner that drift champion guy who went head to head in a previous series (speed channel I believe?) with Paul Tracy, the indycar guy?

EDIT: Yep. Battle of the supercars.

I have never really seen Top Gear UK except for a few youtube snippits.

Really looking forward to watching this and DVRing it too.

--zepcom
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
SOLO Performance HF-Cats &
SOLO Mach Unbalanced Catback with drone-free J-pipes
zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #46
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Not big on the hosts of the show but hopefully they'll have some cool cars..
Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #47
Vic'sCamaro

Drives: Viper GTS, 680hp, Mustang GT
I watched TG review the Camaro, and Hammond says the Americans had to turn to the Australians for sophistication. In case you dont get that, Brits consider Aussies to be kinda crude country folk, so if we have to turn to them for sophistication, its like saying we are lower than trailer trash, like we live "under" the trailer. SO I got a bit cross, and thought I'd have word with them, and emailed them this letter.

Dear Top Gear staff,
Top Gear staff keeps making gross factual errors. I really don't know what's wrong with my cousins across the pond...
(1) RE: Episode just shown on BBC America- The one where Hammond compares apples to oranges, with an exciting Camaro SS and some dull, stodgy German car that costs nearly double the price, (satire). Hammond says "So the Americans had to turn to the Australians for sophistication" What self-serving rubbish! Does this make Brits feel smug(er)? (Is that even possible, for Brits to feel any "smugger"? I don't know if that's even a word, but it should be. Look up "smugger" in the dictionary, and there's a picture of Clarkson! ) Chevy merely used an existing platform from Holden, because of GMs relationship with them.
Its a cost cutting measure, that’s all. Certainly even the egregiously obtuse TG staff knows we design our own 4 wheel independent suspension systems, such as on the ZR1, which basically TIES an Enzo on the Ring! Check your facts here- fastestlaps.com/track2.html. (A site maintained by someone in the UK, so you can trust it. Or maybe not...It is a Brit who maintains the records) Why doesn't Top Gear even acknowledge that an American car, the ZR1, designed and built in America, by Americans, can (as close as makes no difference) TIE the much vaunted Enzo, that people like Clarkson drool over, and want to worship like automotive royalty? Not to mention the price! $125,000 for the ZR1 vs $650,000 for the Enzo (when new), but the Ferrari was not available to anyone but captains of state and heads of industry! Europeans seem to worship what they cannot own, and take great pride in lambasting what is actually available to the common man, made in America. When I go to London, Berlin, Rome, all I see are hoardes of little, dismal econo-boxes. In Newport Beach, Ca, you can see more Ferraris in one day than an entire afternoon on the AutoStrada. The American experience has liberated the greatest numbers of the common man, to heights unprecedented in human history, perhaps that is at the root of why Brits hate the US so much. No more royalty to bow down to...Or was it because we kicked your asses out of here, and back to England? Or is it some lingering resentment over the Lend-Lease Act? Do tell...
(2) After Clarkson (That’s the pot bellied, balding man) stated on his American excursion
that he really thought the ZR1 was a decent sports car, he then goes home and spins one in circles, declaring that he didn’t know why he loved it when in America. (Must be some British insecurity at work here) Clarkson (Or TG producers) have to spin a ZR1 in helplessly in circles as if to elucidate the point. NO mention of how it basically TIES the Enzo on the Ring. (with a bit less horsepower, even. 638 vs 651) Just spin it in circles and declare it rubbish. Is this all the sincerity there is in British journalism? Shallow, insecure, pompous crap, I say. Anyway, the only thing we turn to Australia for is Tim-Tams. Oh, wait, they're made by an American company, go figure. Tried a Penguin, tastes like a Tim-Tam, gave 'em both up, and went back to my Oreos and milk. But I digress.
(3) This next example goes back a couple of years, when I was on a tour of the UK. I picked up TG magazine in the newsstand, and read some contributors' comments, (or TG editor, idk), about how the Corvette has a solid rear axle. Oh, please, do explain. I'm so waiting to hear the technical details. Show us just how it is that the Corvette has a solid rear axle. This one should be really good, and I'm waiting with great anticipation to hear the British automotive journalist and technical guru illustrate his point. Really, what’s the matter with you lads? The only thing that goes from one side of a Corvette to the other side is the transverse fiberglass leaf spring, but that is rigidly attached to the frame, and NO movement of the suspension on one side of the car is transmitted to the other side of the car. Maybe this so-called "journalist" is so hazy on the facts, that he interprets this as having a "Solid rear axle". Whatever the reason, it just shows that TG is not accurate, not truthful, and completely unfair when evaluating American cars. They would stoop so low as to stating any inaccurate, lying garbage, as long as it massages their quivering British ego. Why not mention that the Americans developed magnetorheological shock absorbers so effective, that they were procured by Ferrari for the 599? The Italians turned to the Americans for "sophistication"! Why not mention that, huh? Doesn't suit your British need to denigrate Americans? How about that CTS-V, that does 7:59 on the Ring? (You can, of course, go two seconds faster around the Ring in a Panamera, if you are willing to
pay almost double for an equally ugly car) That’s about $35,000-a-second advantage, hardly a bargain, but the Euros will likely keep sucking at the teat of automotive smugness. How about mentioning the Viper ACR, that is faster than ANY regular production Ferrari on the Ring? An ACR can be bought in the USA for less than $100,000! That's a staggeringly huge amount of performance for the money. (We're talking street-legal, regular production cars only here, no race cars, heavily modified production cars, [599xx], one-offs, etc, cause then we would be doing another TG apples vs oranges comparison)
The blatant misrepresentation of facts, and outright omission of facts, especially as concerns American cars, underlines the insecurity of British automotive "yellow" journalism, so evident on TG. Other than that, it’s a great show!
Now drink your Earl Grey, and go to bed, while visions of laser guided bombs, dropped from unmanned drones circling the earth, sent from the worlds largest, most technologically advanced, and most fearsome military dance in your head. G'nite!

No time for spell check, hope it turned out all right! BTW, I'm mostly British, with a bit of Scot and Irish thrown in for good measure. No, I don’t wear a mullet, don’t eat rabbits, and don’t drive a p/u truck.

Last edited by Vic'sCamaro; 10-24-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Vic'sCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #48
Vic'sCamaro

Drives: Viper GTS, 680hp, Mustang GT
Maybe if the Brits turned to the American firm Delphi for some magnetorheological shock "sophistication", they could get an Aston to go under 8 minutes at the Ring. Poke, poke, twist, twist!
Vic'sCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
brada

Drives: CGM SS 6spd manual
does anyone know when the show will repeat ?
brada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #50
miaomeow11

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS
i honestly think they should have had jay leno be on the cast of american top gear i mean just look at how many cars that guy has in his garage not to mention the mclaren f1
miaomeow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #51
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaomeow11 View Post
i honestly think they should have had jay leno be on the cast of american top gear i mean just look at how many cars that guy has in his garage not to mention the mclaren f1
After actually being on the set with the cast...Jay Leno would have not mixed in with them at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #52
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
American Stig! Who is it? I hope that it's Tony Stewart! Well, unless he's been on a diet.........

Name:  500x_suzuki_sx4_top_gear.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  500x_the_american_stig.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  49.1 KB
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #53
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Man...Tony Hawk is old...
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #54
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2017 Fiesta ST

Airs tomorrow night on History Channel at 10/9c!!!!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
brada

Drives: CGM SS 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaber99 View Post

Airs tomorrow night on History Channel at 10/9c!!!!

nice !!
brada is offline   Reply With Quote