Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
acstudios

Drives: 08 CTS
LSA intercooler delete

Hey guys, we picked up a few LSA tubs recently and are outfitting a '10 2/SS with a 6.2 to LSA type spec (Texas Speed cam however) and considering using the other on a 6.0 swap in a 81 T/A. The T/A is the issue as it physically doesn't have the room for the heat exchanger so we're considering trying to intercool it with meth/water alone. We're also looking to take the boost down from 9 to around 7 to control heat as well as save the driveline.

I'm wondering if anyone has any data regarding the IAT temps pre/post meth injection. That's obviously only 1 part of it, but it would give me a better idea of how effective it would be. We would still need to get an idea of how hot it would run without the intercooler, but I'm not sure how to determine that quite yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
acstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstudios View Post
Hey guys, we picked up a few LSA tubs recently and are outfitting a '10 2/SS with a 6.2 to LSA type spec (Texas Speed cam however) and considering using the other on a 6.0 swap in a 81 T/A. The T/A is the issue as it physically doesn't have the room for the heat exchanger so we're considering trying to intercool it with meth/water alone. We're also looking to take the boost down from 9 to around 7 to control heat as well as save the driveline.

I'm wondering if anyone has any data regarding the IAT temps pre/post meth injection. That's obviously only 1 part of it, but it would give me a better idea of how effective it would be. We would still need to get an idea of how hot it would run without the intercooler, but I'm not sure how to determine that quite yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
There is room for a custom build heat exchanger setup, that's the route I would take. Something in those lower two grill openings.

Last edited by RyangAsh; 08-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I would not delete the brick but I’m not sure what your intentions are for your build.

My build has everything I did to get mine ready for road courses:

Multiple hxs, intercooler pumps, cooling mods, E85, meth, etc. too much to detail in a single post.

If you have time (it has 5 years of mods), read it over...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-13-2019 at 08:43 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
81 TA should be plenty of room in front of the core support. removing the IC seems like neutering the motor so much why even use it.

Maybe interchiller if you cant find room. With my old 80 if you pull the support under the urethane there's tons of room for a chiller or IC or do a fiberglass fascia and hide it in there.
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Reminds me of when a few wanted the looks of the 6-71 blower on their cars to look like the big boys at the drive in or shows but had the internal rotors taken out so they were simply empty shell cases that did nothing.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote