Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxwellh View Post
That pretty much sums it up! Great post
I have my moments. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #30
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I have my moments. lol
and you nailed that one to a "T"! +1 for KaBoom!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #31
69ZLover

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickland03 View Post
I read online a test run between the ZL1 and the Stingray. The ZL1 has 115 or so HP on the Stingray, yet it's .2 slower in the quarter mile and 0-60? The ZL1 is 600 or so LB's heavier, but I would have thought the HP gain would make the ZL1 faster. Aside from weight, why is the Stingray quicker?
HP to weight ratio is in the corvette's corner and the #1 reason why one would loose to it in a perfect world. Do keep in mind the margin is very slight and one missed gear or hesitation and it can loose by the same margin it had as an advantage. For $500 alone one could make it an even match which is why I saved my money and got the ZL1 which In the long run will be cheaper, faster and be waaaay more collectable years down the road. I will be surprised if Chevy even makes a ZL1 in Gen6 if they keep to old traditions somewhat. If they do I will be pissed x2 since they didn't put the 427 in it to begin with :(
69ZLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #32
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Well let's take a closer look here...

Corvette: (Coupe)
Weight - 3300
Power - 460 HP
Weight/Power - 1 HP for every 7.17 pounds. 7.17/1 Power to weight ratio

ZL1: (Coupe)
Weight - 4135
Power - 580
Weight/Power - ! HP for every 7.13 pounds. 7.13/1 Power to weight ratio.

So what we see here is practically identical numbers. Not enough to say one would clearly be faster than the other. Now take the aerodynamics of the Stringray, which creates more down force, and this would give the Stringray that 0.2 second advantage you're talking about.

I'm not sure of the gear ratios of each car, but one thing to always remember that counts for a lot in performance is gear ratios and final drive ratio. The gear ratios (especially 1-4) combined with the final drive ratio determine how the engine performs. Usually engines that produce their max power later on in the RPM band will have longer gear ratios, where engines like the ZL1 that produce theur max power earlier on will have shorter gear ratios. Longer gear ratios, especially 1-4, will also help in 0-60 and 1/4 miles time.

Point is that there are many variables that determine performance numbers for cars. You can see here the power to weight is almost the same between both cars, but it's the aerodynamics of the vette along with the slightly larger gear ratios that give it the edge in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #33
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
StingRay could be faster because of the aerodynamics & weight difference different gearing in the tranny and diff and because....That's the way GM wanted it!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #34
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Single with no kids, married with no kids, retired, or just don't give a dam = Stingray

Single with more than 2 kids, married with kids, retired with kids (that cant find a job)still at home or grandkids still living with you (from your kids that cant find a job)= ZL1

I think that covers it.

Anymore questions?

Forgot to add that if you are single, married, or retired with no kids. You better have or had made over 5k a month in an occupation.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #35
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
I am a 1LE owner whose father has a '14 Stingray (non Z51) . I probably have 800-1,000 miles in the Stingray, and let me tell you that car is more comfortable than my 2SS/1LE. The fully adjustable vented seats with 2-driver memory are very comfortable and I feel like I’m well planted and not cramped. The trunk/hatch is pretty spacious and fuel economy of the car with its Eco-mode is stellar. The auto transmission of the Stingray is pretty aggressive in Sport or Track modes and paddle shifting is fun, but not necessary as the car revs high enough and seamlessly enough to forgo manual input.

My car gets plenty of stares, but the Stingray trumps it. Even with the crappy Blade Silver paint job my dad opted for, it really turns heads. People previously commented in this thread that a ZL1 will grab attention decades down the road for being unique where the Stingray will be “just another Corvette.” I think that’s crap. Unless you’re a car guy (gals, too) a ZL1 shares way too much appearance-wise with any other Camaro (of which there has to be around half a million by now). Sure, us Camaro 5 guys can pick out a special edition or option group in a twinkling, but the majority of folks see just another Camaro.

Driving the Stingray in the mountain twisties was every bit as fun as my (relatively) track-focused 1LE. While power-to-weight ratio is an interesting stat on paper, it’s what you can accomplish behind the wheel that I think should be the driver behind your decision. The gearing, weight, suspension and tires make my 1LE less fun in a straight line, and the power, tranny, weight and aeros of the Stingray positively stomp my drag efforts. (I know, I know, if you wanted to see “tranny” and “drag” in the same sentence you’d go read user profiles in a Mustang forum.) While you can mod a ZL1 to run faster and close some of the gap, just remember that the Stingray owner can tweak his ride, too.

I have a hard time believing the Stingray will fade into the woodwork. While selling phenomenally well, it will never reach nearly a hundred thousand units per year. Test drive a Stingray when you test drive a ZL1.
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #36
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Stingray

Cant wait to get my Vette next year, will be a c6 but better than a SS anyway

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #37
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis_pro View Post
Well let's take a closer look here...

Corvette: (Coupe)
Weight - 3300
Power - 460 HP
Weight/Power - 1 HP for every 7.17 pounds. 7.17/1 Power to weight ratio

ZL1: (Coupe)
Weight - 4135
Power - 580
Weight/Power - ! HP for every 7.13 pounds. 7.13/1 Power to weight ratio.

So what we see here is practically identical numbers. Not enough to say one would clearly be faster than the other. Now take the aerodynamics of the Stringray, which creates more down force, and this would give the Stringray that 0.2 second advantage you're talking about.

I'm not sure of the gear ratios of each car, but one thing to always remember that counts for a lot in performance is gear ratios and final drive ratio. The gear ratios (especially 1-4) combined with the final drive ratio determine how the engine performs. Usually engines that produce their max power later on in the RPM band will have longer gear ratios, where engines like the ZL1 that produce theur max power earlier on will have shorter gear ratios. Longer gear ratios, especially 1-4, will also help in 0-60 and 1/4 miles time.

Point is that there are many variables that determine performance numbers for cars. You can see here the power to weight is almost the same between both cars, but it's the aerodynamics of the vette along with the slightly larger gear ratios that give it the edge in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Performance has been measured. Stingray has been out less time than a ZL1 and has run a 11.3 bone rock stock. Both cars share the same A6 trans gearing and I believe the ZL1 has better rear end gearing. The Vette just flat out can move off the line in stock configuration and that's what makes up the .2tenths difference.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #38
pincushin3819

Drives: 11 AGP TT SS, 14 ECS C7
Just raced my buddys stock auto 14 zl1 last weekend with my stock auto 14 C7 z51. We went from a 30 roll first race it was door to door until 3rd gear, I pulled him by half a car & every gear was another half a car length. We went from a 40 roll with the same out come. Temps were about 78 degrees at the time, streets were warm & both car dead hooked in 2nd. Last 2 races was from a dead stop & not even a race easily pulled 2 or 3 cars both times Camaro did have more tire spin going back looking at the marks but was hooking pretty decently with street tires.
Let the flaming begin.
pincushin3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #39
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Corvette owners are douches, they think there ferrari owners!!

I love muscle cars and could never own a Vette, Its a nice car but just couldn't do it. As far as people comparing the 2 cars just stop... There both so different you can't compare the to.

Muscle car Vs Sports Car.... If you can afford ether car money isnt a problem so hp and weight dont matter, ether car can be modded easily!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
Laughing at all the people thinking they are getting laid because of a car. If you're getting laid in either of these two cars it's either because you are already getting it or the woman thinks you have money. Don't buy a car because you think it will get you a woman, that's beyond sad. Get a car because you want it! Stingray is just a whole new level compared to the ZL1, no comparison. Stingray looks like a Ferrari, ZL1 looks like a V6 Camaro to the rest of the world that doesn't know cars. I don't buy cars for flash anyway but the vette is more impressive and a better all around performer.
Really because a V6 camaro looks so plain... Before I had a Camaro I saw the ZL1 and was like holy shit that cars looks amazing, the hood scoop is what looked the best.

Anyways your post was very strange. Idk why your even on this forums with your 4 door Sedan.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #40
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
They are two different cars with two different attitudes. I would own both if I had the garage space!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #41
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
Corvette owners are douches, they think there ferrari owners!!

I love muscle cars and could never own a Vette, Its a nice car but just couldn't do it. As far as people comparing the 2 cars just stop... There both so different you can't compare the to.

Muscle car Vs Sports Car.... If you can afford ether car money isnt a problem so hp and weight dont matter, ether car can be modded easily!!

Really because a V6 camaro looks so plain... Before I had a Camaro I saw the ZL1 and was like holy shit that cars looks amazing, the hood scoop is what looked the best.

Anyways your post was very strange. Idk why your even on this forums with your 4 door Sedan.
Wow dude, really pulling up an old thread there aren't you? What do you care if i drive a 4 door sedan or not, I've owned Mutangs, Camaro's, Comp G's, SRT4's, Cobalt SS, I can be on any forum I like, get over yourself fanboy. For the record I special ordered an 02 Z28 stripped hence my 1SC title in my username, 1SC was the option code for no freaking options, does that explain to you why the hell I'm on a Camaro forum?
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote