Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Xell

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
Maybe a transmission problem?

Hello everyone, hopefully someone will be able to help out.

I am experience a weird lag while driving my camaro. When driving casually it takes the car a very long time to shift from 3rd to 4th hovering around 3k rpms and 55mph. It feels like a 30 seconds will go by before the transmission decides to go to 4th, it also takes a long time going into 5th and 6th. When I am driving more spiritedly I don't have the problem going into 4th or 5th but it still takes a long time go into 6th.

Another concerning thing was I was going about 70mph and started braking while going down a large hill. The first time I did this the engine rpms would spike to 2k, it did it twice. The second time when i tried to recreate it the rpms only spiked to 2k once.

I mostly do city driving only hitting 50mph max. The only reason I discovered the shifting delay was I was just enjoying driving on some longer roads. Please let me know what you all think. I am thinking it may need a transmission fluid flush, or maybe the throttle position sensor isn't functioning well. No alerts or lights are coming on saying something is wrong.

2014 2LT RS A6 Camaro 51,700 miles CAI intake, Strut Tower brace, Vmax ported throttle body, MRT V1 mufflers.

Thanks in advance,
Xell

Last edited by Xell; 03-18-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added A6 for tranny type
Xell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
Do you have a tune?
Have you checked the fluid?
DSMer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Xell

no tune, have not checked the fluid since I discovered this phenomenon this evening.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
From what I remember reading in the owner's manual the Camaro will change from coasting to engine braking when it notices you braking on a descent. So you don't over work the brakes. It will downshift if the engine braking isn't enough and you are still manually braking.
I imagine it is similar to my work truck when set to Tow/Haul mode.

As for taking long to upshift that is also mentioned as part of the algorithm so it doesn't happen before you are done accelerating. Depending on the throttle opening you used to achieve the desired speed. It's a sports car.

If you haven't noticed yet, it should also resist shifting automatically when it reaches a specific lateral g-load so as to not upset the vehicle while cornering hard. My biggest peeve with automatics.

That's just from the book. I have never driven an automatic Camaro.
Sometimes I think I should try one. It might surprise me.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #5
Xell

Thanks for the input CamaroFred.

I did read through the manual and I never knew the camaro had powertrain braking. I never experienced it before so it freaked me out a bit when it happened.

The holding the rpms before shifting though. The book only mentioned the A6 doing it in sport mode. While I was driving I was in regular driving mode. When I recreated the lack of changing gears I did try to throttle play it a bit letting off the gas a bit, and also giving it more gas and it just would not shift in what felt like a reasonable amount of time. It is possible I am just being paranoid since this is my first performance car. I just want to make sure it is not going to go kaput on me when I could have prevented it.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I would just hit cruise control. If you are on the highway for any amount of time a few seconds this way or that before it upshifts won't mean anything in terms of MPG or engine wear.

With your mileage it wouldn't be a bad idea for a filter change.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #7
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
in sport mode ( automatic ) the vehicle will hold RPMS longer in spirited driving conditions as to hold speed via cornering andincrease response when exiting. This can happen in any gear except 1-2 shift. I know mine does it and i thought it was an issue until they rode with me. Now if it grinds or slips and lets the rpm freely rise on its own when changing gears, thats an issue
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers
•Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete
•ZL1 NPP Exhaust With Custom Controller
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers
•Morel Subwoofers
•Audio control LC-6.1200 6ch amp
•3sixty.3 DSP
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Xell

Thank you for all your input. Other than the weird rpm holding the car performs the same so I will just chalk it up to the motor doing what it is supposed to.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro SS
I would get a tune to take advantage of the setup...