Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Strider-No.9

Drives: Dodge Stratus
Camaro Dealers Question

So I am of course like you getting a Camaro very soon after it's released.

I am worried about price gouging, would I be better off waiting until May or June of 08 to buy my Camaro to avoid price gouging the first few months? Or is price gouging something that will be an issue for the first year or so of release?

Also is it smart to talk to a dealership NOW and see if they will be getting the car and if they will be selling it at MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
Strider-No.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't worry about pricing.

There are some rules about getting the car you want at the price you want.

1: Be stubborn. You are going to get the car you want at the price you want only if you make that your priority. If you make it a priority to be really friendly or submissive. Focus on MSRP and demand to pay only that.

2: It's all business. The salesperson gets a commission off of your sale. Every dime you pay over MSRP goes to profit.

3: Your extra money goes toward your car. When you get away with paying MSRP, the remainder can go toward a nice dual exit exhaust, intake, and some accessories.

4: Be patient. If you don't get it with this dealer, drive somewhere else. Someone will keep you close to MSRP.

No one knows whether price gouging will be an issue. Regardless, the salesperson will try to make a sale with commission. Even if no one but you wants the car, you will have to contend with the salesperson. Salespeople aren't bad people. They have to make sales to pay for their own lives, so don't hold their sales ability against them. Even if every dealer prices it below MSRP, you showing interest in the car means that the price will go up for you as a car enthusiast. Higher demand means higher price. To get a low price, be patient and stubborn. Your first dealer may or may not be the one to sell you your car at the price you're willing to pay.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
There is a thread in the pricing section on dealers who have a policy of not charging over MSRP. Usually these dealers have long waiting lists but it is worth the wait if you save a few grand.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider-No.9 View Post
So I am of course like you getting a Camaro very soon after it's released.

I am worried about price gouging, would I be better off waiting until May or June of 08 to buy my Camaro to avoid price gouging the first few months? Or is price gouging something that will be an issue for the first year or so of release?

Also is it smart to talk to a dealership NOW and see if they will be getting the car and if they will be selling it at MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean '09?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Do you mean '09?
You didn't know that they're already out.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Strider-No.9

Drives: Dodge Stratus
I'm sorry yes, 09.
Strider-No.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
IF you were buying a 'normal' car or truck... My goal is to get about 8% below msrp, not counting any rebates from the FACTORY, which should always be separate from the negotiation with the dealer's price.
As optomistic as I am, I do not expect to get close to 8% below msrp on the Camaro, unless I wait until December 09 or later, and then ????
If GM allows the Camaro to be on the Military discount list, .

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
If MSRP is reasonable (as far as my standards and opinion of the vehicle should be) then I will pay MSRP, but not a dime above...and I am not paying MSRP on their sticker..I will build the vehicle online and pull that price and will only pay the price...If I have to drive to Miami, so be it. A few years back, I went to a chevy dealership and requested a test drive of a silverado...I actually watched the salesman walk out to the vehicle and pull the sticker....I dont know about other states, but I believe that is a criminal violation.

If I can work my way below MSRP, that is just a lil present to myself...
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
If MSRP is reasonable (as far as my standards and opinion of the vehicle should be) then I will pay MSRP, but not a dime above...and I am not paying MSRP on their sticker..I will build the vehicle online and pull that price and will only pay the price...If I have to drive to Miami, so be it. A few years back, I went to a chevy dealership and requested a test drive of a silverado...I actually watched the salesman walk out to the vehicle and pull the sticker....I dont know about other states, but I believe that is a criminal violation.

If I can work my way below MSRP, that is just a lil present to myself...
That should be a law, if it is not. But now, we have the GM website , which allows 'us' to avoid those kinds of dealers, if we are willing to research/drive etc.
I barely beat msrp in August 2002 on my Z/28 (miss it )
$1,000 off a $27k, so I just hope for below msrp if I buy early in 2009.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
If GM allows the Camaro to be on the Military discount list, .
Hopefully they'll continue the supplier pricing all the way till 2011 lol. but as of right now the supplier pricing drops sept 30th. other then that the only other military discount you normally get is $500.00. and they would give that to you. . .for sure.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #11
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
That should be a law, if it is not. But now, we have the GM website , which allows 'us' to avoid those kinds of dealers, if we are willing to research/drive etc.
I barely beat msrp in August 2002 on my Z/28 (miss it )
$1,000 off a $27k, so I just hope for below msrp if I buy early in 2009.
It's my understanding that it is a law.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
ROE

Drives: 2008 cts
wonder if the camaro will be on suppiler discount list
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote