Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #29
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I was all about a V8 when i joined these forums and gas prices were still in the low $2.00 range. By the time this thing hits the streets it is not unlikely that we will be paying $4.50/gal and by the time I would actually buy one $5.00/gal. Add on the fact that the LS3 takes premium and the V-6 is looking like a sure thing.
I this rate, I may even take the time to try and make mine E85 compatible. Use more fuel that way, but you could still go 500 miles on one tank, and it would cost like 20-25 dollars less to fill up.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #30
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Add on the fact that the LS3 takes premium and the V-6 is looking like a sure thing.
Actually it says 'Premium Recommended'. It apparently will run just fine on Regular grade gas with only a slight dip in power/performance.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #31
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I this rate, I may even take the time to try and make mine E85 compatible. Use more fuel that way, but you could still go 500 miles on one tank, and it would cost like 20-25 dollars less to fill up.
- Xanthos
I hope you are joking, right? The average decrease in fuel economy with E85 is around 25% but it only costs approximately 5% less than regular unleaded. So you are essentially willing to pay 20% more to drive the same distance just because psychologically it feels better to fill up at $60 as opposed to $80?

EDIT: That is fine if your main objective is to be more environmentally friendly or to do your part to ease our reliance on foreign oil, but it doesn't make sense if you are just trying to save a few bucks.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Actually it says 'Premium Recommended'. It apparently will run just fine on Regular grade gas with only a slight dip in power/performance.
Ahhhh... I can handle 415HP as opposed to 420.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I hope you are joking, right? The average decrease in fuel economy with E85 is around 25% but it only costs approximately 5% less than regular unleaded. So you are essentially willing to pay 20% more to drive the same distance.
Not to spin this into another Ethanol thread. But it depends entirely where you live. In some places, E85 costs significantly less than 'normal' gasoline (much more than 5%). In those places, the price difference makes the mileage decrease worth it.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #34
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not to spin this into another Ethanol thread. But it depends entirely where you live. In some places, E85 costs significantly less than 'normal' gasoline (much more than 5%). In those places, the price difference makes the mileage decrease worth it.
Unless you are able to find a place that sells it (or make your own) for around $3.00/gal, then it is not cost justified. Perhaps these places exist, but I have not heard of E85 going for $3.00 - 3.20/gal while regular unleaded is at $4.00/gal; not to belabor the point, I am just saying....

Either way, a 300HP V6 sounds pretty appealing and I would have to think that with those numbers these things will be selling like hotcakes!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #35
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
For the record, those that were saying by the time the car comes out gas will be up to 5 bucks a gallon, its not likely. Gas is going back down, hell I wouldn't be surprised if we saw sub 3 dollars a gallon again. It could happen.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #36
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
For the record, those that were saying by the time the car comes out gas will be up to 5 bucks a gallon, its not likely. Gas is going back down, hell I wouldn't be surprised if we saw sub 3 dollars a gallon again. It could happen.
Don't get your hopes up. Things are still way too volatile in the Middle East to be so sure about future oil prices.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #37
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
I'm amazed that they recomend regular gas for the v6 considering it's compression ratio. I wonder if those performance accessories mentioned will be for the v6. An intake and cat back will be good for a good 10 hp? Not to mention if we get headers!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #38
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
I'm amazed that they recomend regular gas for the v6 considering it's compression ratio. I wonder if those performance accessories mentioned will be for the v6. An intake and cat back will be good for a good 10 hp? Not to mention if we get headers!
The v6 only needs regular because of the Direct injection, this make the v6 a completely different animal than we are used to.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #39
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
The v6 only needs regular because of the Direct injection, this make the v6 a completely different animal than we are used to.
Doesn't "need" it, but it can run on it.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Doesn't "need" it, but it can run on it.
I'm not sure what you mean....
They don't reccomend premium for this engine. It's designed to run purely off of regular unleaded, and deliver all 300 ponies.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #41
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not sure what you mean....
They don't reccomend premium for this engine. It's designed to run purely off of regular unleaded, and deliver all 300 ponies.
Well, what you saw above was taken from what I've read on the CTS that has the same exact engine as the Camaro. It can take either 85 or 91, or anything other grade inbetween.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #42
4thGen

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
At 300hp, I feel this will be the most respected V6 Camaro out all the generations.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote