Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #155
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Downloaded it earlier on, tested it out straight away, works great. A slight lag, but that's to be expected between pressing the button and the doors unlocking, but works great!

Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #156
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm not going to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" argument with you because you're just going to call me a liar no matter what I say unless I post "proof" that obviously would contain personal information that could be used to harass me, etc.

It's no use debating this with you because you insist that there's a hardware issue preventing this from working, which is preposterous.

The only way you can "win" the debate is by proving to me that OnStar is incapable of transmitting information such as vehicle diagnostics (tire pressure, oil life, etc.) to a remote location which then emails it to my personal email address. If you can prove this is impossible because of some hardware issue in the car, then I will bow down before your massive intellect and admit I was wrong. What will you do in the event that I can somehow gin up one of my totally inane pieces of foolish evidence that somehow proves that OnStar CAN do this with my 2010 Camaro?

Oh, and if there's this craptacular hardware issue you insist exists that prevents the 2010 from working with the app, then why is the developer of the App saying that they are working on ways to support 2010's? Maybe you can file a patent for "Remotely Upgraded Hardware" before they do and you'll get rich off the royalties?

I am curious to know how they will upgrade my hardware to Ver 9 by remote control.

It’s not that I don't agree with some of your statements about maybe some type of limited app for the 2010, Onstar has made reference to this months ago. I have posted I hope they do come out with an app to support the 2010 in some form. I know hardware can play a big part in the limitations. It really comes down to some of your off the wall comments that I couldn’t let you get away without me giving you a hard time.

1. I think we both agree that there are hardware diffs. between 2011 and the 2010

2. I agree that Onstar might be able to find work around to the old hardware that might have some limitations. Really only the Onstar group will be able to let us know for sure on that one.

What I could not let go without comment was your remarks that Onstar is holding out to sell more cars. I just can't see people trading in their 2010s and buy 2011s for a phone app.. I just couldn't let that go. And your remarks "I know it will work" when you don't work for the company that is building the app or the hardware.. I am guessing this because you have never stated your work there and you have been asked by many when you start your rants.

PS:As far as me " filing a patent for "Remotely Upgraded Hardware" before they do and you'll get rich off the royalties?" My 2011 has a working App...I will let you apply for that one since your needing the app for your 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
A few other things I would suggest they add would be an alert if the security system goes off ot the car is moved. Maybe a "find my car" thing with google maps. The latter should be possible with the 2010 model, since they have "turn by turn" navigation.

That would be a nice add to the app adding the alarm notification..

Right now GM will not allow anyone but law enforcement to have this info on GPS location. I don't think GM wants to get into any legal issue if someone was to track down their own stolen car and get injured or injure someone else. Also the dealer told me they don't want to get in the middle of a spouse issue tracking each other.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 11-02-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #157
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I talked to onstar on the phone. They said only 2011 vehicles are supported right now and if our 2010 gets support in the future, we will get a letter stating so.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #158
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Not sure why the 2010ers are getting all bent out of shape. They said all along it was for 2011 models only, that shouldn't be a surprise. And honestly, the app is a novelty - what does it do that's so special? Lock/Unlock your car (key does that). Tell you the tire pressure / oil life / mileage / etc - all can be done via a computer or while sitting in the car. I see myself using this all of 5 mins a month (if that much).

A lot of you 2010ers have had your car for a year or so and got all the attention of having it while we hated on you... this app ain't worth getting your panties in a bunch over. Go for a drive, you'll feel better!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #159
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Just downloaded it, this is awesome. Used it from inside the house and it said car now unlocked, ran outside to check and sure enough it was. Then I locked it and waited, then I heard the doors lock. Didn't do remote start because I'm not going anywhere, but anyways this is probably the coolest app in the store, and it's free . Another advantage I got for waiting.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #160
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush View Post
Just downloaded it, this is awesome. Used it from inside the house and it said car now unlocked, ran outside to check and sure enough it was. Then I locked it and waited, then I heard the doors lock. Didn't do remote start because I'm not going anywhere, but anyways this is probably the coolest app in the store, and it's free . Another advantage I got for waiting.
first thing I did was do remote start
had to test it, because my classes are early in the morning it will prove helpful to warm the engine and inside so I dont have to go out and be in the cold to do so
Gigachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #161
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigachip View Post
first thing I did was do remote start
had to test it, because my classes are early in the morning it will prove helpful to warm the engine and inside so I dont have to go out and be in the cold to do so
Yea I would have tried remote start, but I didn't want to start the car and end up shutting it down right after.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #162
turbo222

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
Thats what I just got right now. Saw my 2010 Camaro on my profile and said the same thing. Come OnStar, open it up to 2010's.

I agree!! i almost feel that its unfair i pay the same for onstar but i dont get this feature!! ):

such a bummer...wonder what the chances are they will add 2010!?..PLease onstar!!
ICE: Audison LRx 5.1k Amp, 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 250w Componet Speakers, 2 Bravox Audio CF 260w Coaxial speakers, 12" Hertz Hi-Energy 1200W Subwoofer, ******** Box and Amp Rack.
turbo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #163
Camaro Kid

Drives: black convertible
Does anyone know the technical reason why this app doesn't work on our 2010's?
NOW:2014 Black on Yellow ZL1 Convertible 6 Speed.PREVIOUS CARS:2010 black on black 2SS/RS Manual,1998 Black on Black T-Tops SS Manual,1997 White on White with Orange racing stripes Z-28 30th Anniversary Convertible Auto,1995 Tan on White Manual Z-28 Convertible,1993 coupe Black on Red Z-28 Auto.
Camaro Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #164
turbo222

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Kid View Post
Does anyone know the technical reason why this app doesn't work on our 2010's?
i would like to know this too!
ICE: Audison LRx 5.1k Amp, 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 250w Componet Speakers, 2 Bravox Audio CF 260w Coaxial speakers, 12" Hertz Hi-Energy 1200W Subwoofer, ******** Box and Amp Rack.
turbo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #165
slm123214

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Onstar will offer service later for 2010

I talked with onstar and they said the feature will be available in 2011 for us 2010 owners. Kinda sucks we have to wait that long, but they do plan on doing it for us. Hopefully not late in 2011, but early on!

It's also under FAQ's on their page as well.

When will the OnStar MyLink mobile app be available for previous model year vehicles?
The OnStar MyLink mobile app will be made available on most 2010 model year GM vehicles in 2011.
slm123214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #166
PFCMAC

Drives: 2015 ZL1/2016 Malibu LTD LTZ
have you guys thought bout installing the 2011 onstar module?
PFCMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #167
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I did my part for the other 2010 guys, I am sure they will fix this if enough of us complain.
Title
No I phone APP for 2010 Camaro

Description

I learned today that the MyLink app has just been released for
the iPhone.
I also found out that my 2010 Camaro will not have this option.
Correct me if I'm wrong but its still 2010 right? I'm an IT guy
so you can give it to me straight. Why wouldn't this just be a
firmware update to the 2010 Camaro if its available on the 2011.
You already have the access to use these features remotely so
isn't just the issue of granting those permissions to the app?

I bought my vehicle in August so I still have 10 months left on
my trial service. I really love having the security that OnStar
provides and features like turn-by-turn navigation. Right now I'm
on the fence as to whether I would extend my subscription at the
end of the trial. I need to justify the monthly cost and little
options like having such an app available for my phone AND car
would go a long way.

I look forward to your response. Thank you!"

Idea Categories

Hardware/Device Consulting Services Information or Content
Process/Technology Promotional Opportunity Service
Software/Application

Arrangement Structure

Alliance/Partnership Equity/Investment Opportunity
None

Benefits

Adds Customer Convenience Adds Customer Safety/Security Customer Cost Savings
Decreases Company Costs Helps Acquire Customers Helps Retain Customers
Increases Company Revenue

Idea Status Concept with Minimal Research

Has a patent been issued for this concept? No

Has additional supplemental or back-up information been provided to someone at OnStar? No

May we contact you for more information on this idea? Yes

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #168
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Just curious but what is the app showing for your lifetime mpg? It's showing that my car has gotten 12 mpg's overall! I've never gotten down to 12 and half of my driving has been at 28 mpg's. There's no way my V6 is getting that low of gas mileage!!!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, app, chevrolet, iphone, onstar