Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
co-worker cracks windshield, needs to be replaced

so i picked the car up on Monday morning. took it to the beach (you all saw pictures that i posted) etc etc.

so today i went to work for the first time with my car and my co worker (who does a bunch of his own work on his new lancer and treats his car like a goddess) wants to see the engine without the cover. So I take off the oil cap just as he is lifting off the cover and I drop the cap into the engine area. Of course the engine was hot and we couldnt get our hands down there so he takes off the windshield wiper and releases the arm about 4-6 inches from the windshield and POP. I actually didnt think anything of it at the time, didnt sound like a crack didnt see anything. we get the cap put everything back on and go on our merry way. so lunch time comes around and we all go out (in the car) and i dont see anything, everything is good, and at this point i have forgotten about him dropping the arm. Then I get out after work and there is a crack running about 6 inches straight up from where the arm hit and continuing all the way down to the base of the windshield, total at least 10 inches maybe more.

As im driving home i call up my dealership for advice, call my insurance company and call up safelite all while watching the crack continue to grow another couple inches(finally stopped.. for now). All in all i was told the windshield will have to be totally replaced, but thankfully will only cost 50 bucks and like a good co-worker the guy has offered to pay for everything without me even bringing up the subject (or how much it was going to be).

now the problem... anyone have any idea how long its going to take to get a new one in??

1100: 11-29-08
6000: 6-29-09
cracked windshield: 7-1-09
1000 miles 7-4-09
windshield replaced: 7-9-09
2000 miles 7-10-09 (yep 2000 miles in 11 days)
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
After you get the windshield installed, look it over carefully and look for scratches in your paint that were not there before. I've had a couple of sub-par experiences.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
bob2the2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
After you get the windshield installed, look it over carefully and look for scratches in your paint that were not there before. I've had a couple of sub-par experiences.
yeah, i have heard some horror stories (though that was a long time ago) that new windshields can be a real pain to deal with and they can leak and all sorts of other stuff.

they better not touch the paint

1000 miles 7-4-09
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
so i picked the car up on Monday morning. took it to the beach (you all saw pictures that i posted) etc etc.

so today i went to work for the first time with my car and my co worker (who does a bunch of his own work on his new lancer and treats his car like a goddess) wants to see the engine without the cover. So I take off the oil cap just as he is lifting off the cover and I drop the cap into the engine area. Of course the engine was hot and we couldnt get our hands down there so he takes off the windshield wiper and releases the arm about 4-6 inches from the windshield and POP. I actually didnt think anything of it at the time, didnt sound like a crack didnt see anything. we get the cap put everything back on and go on our merry way. so lunch time comes around and we all go out (in the car) and i dont see anything, everything is good, and at this point i have forgotten about him dropping the arm. Then I get out after work and there is a crack running about 6 inches straight up from where the arm hit and continuing all the way down to the base of the windshield, total at least 10 inches maybe more.

As im driving home i call up my dealership for advice, call my insurance company and call up safelite all while watching the crack continue to grow another couple inches(finally stopped.. for now). All in all i was told the windshield will have to be totally replaced, but thankfully will only cost 50 bucks and like a good co-worker the guy has offered to pay for everything without me even bringing up the subject (or how much it was going to be).

now the problem... anyone have any idea how long its going to take to get a new one in??

Safelite is good, they should be able to install while you are at work

As for you buddy

Do they have the glass available? Make sure to tell them it has remote start.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
MyNewSolstice

Drives: 06 Solstice
Just a few things having had my windshield on my solstice replaced last week

1. Be there and lay out some protective film on the interior dash to protect it youd be amazed

2. Take pictures prior to install with date and time stamp

3. Not a big fan of the at work idea that seal needs to set for about 18-24hrs and if you have a decent length commute I'd get it done at home and call in sick.

4. Make sure u get money from insurance for new insection stickers. it is covered and alot of times they'll scrape em off last windshield and jerry rig em on the new one but it could be enough of a reason a cop needs to pull u over

just my 2 cents
MyNewSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewSolstice View Post

1. Be there and lay out some protective film on the interior dash to protect it youd be amazed

3. Not a big fan of the at work idea that seal needs to set for about 18-24hrs and if you have a decent length commute I'd get it done at home and call in sick.

4. Make sure u get money from insurance for new insection stickers. it is covered and alot of times they'll scrape em off last windshield and jerry rig em on the new one but it could be enough of a reason a cop needs to pull u over

just my 2 cents
Good points. When I've had mine done, I've put down a towel to catch any glass or bits that otherwise would fall down into the vent openings. If you want to be really careful, you could put multiple layers of painters tape or something along the painted surfaces to try and minimize the chance of scratches.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Welcome to the cracked glass club. A rock hit it the first day off the lot. It's about the size of yours now. Didn't even see it until a few days later since it was beneath the wipers befor it started to grow.

Just so you know, only your dealer will be able to get it since there are no after market glasses yet. Not that you would want that sort of thing. It's better to get the GM windshield anyways for this car. It's the real deal. I was told that because it's so new, it could take a week to get it, or a month. No one really knows. See who your dealer uses first. MY dealer uses a third party guy, but he's been doing this for 35 years now so I feel like I'm in good hands.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
bob2the2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewSolstice View Post

just my 2 cents
thanks for the heads up ill make sure i put something down and take pictures before hand. I actually have a second car (didnt trade in my alero) so i could get it done at home and drive my other car (though i obviously need to be there).

also right now there is nothing stickerwise the windshield so i wont have to worry about that.

1000 miles 7-4-09
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
I had Safelite replace the windshield in my Ram, they did a great job, and I am very happy with their work. Good luck, I hope things work out ! Glad to hear that your co-worker is a stand up guy, I don't understand why you need to replace him though .... : )

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
My dealer etched a security code of some kind on my front window down in the black part. Right above it looks like a big scratch ( I asumed where the etching went bad) When took to the dealer they said it was under the glass. They said no problem it was a warranty issue & they could replace with a new GM windshield. Scratch is very small -- I now have to decide whether to replace & take chance new one will leak or some other horrible thing -- or just let it go & just keep the factory windshield & live with the scratch.. Help -- what would ya'll do?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
JUSTINASS

Drives: 00 SS / 10 2SS RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
My dealer etched a security code of some kind on my front window down in the black part. Right above it looks like a big scratch ( I asumed where the etching went bad) When took to the dealer they said it was under the glass. They said no problem it was a warranty issue & they could replace with a new GM windshield. Scratch is very small -- I now have to decide whether to replace & take chance new one will leak or some other horrible thing -- or just let it go & just keep the factory windshield & live with the scratch.. Help -- what would ya'll do?
if it's just a small scratch leave it alone...you will eventually need a new windshield later down the road...i wouldn't risk/ possible paint scratchs/ glue mishaps/ for something that can barely be seen...
JUSTINASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro

I can't post anything here because I will get banned again......

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
Of course the engine was hot and we couldnt get our hands down there so he takes off the windshield wiper and releases the arm about 4-6 inches from the windshield and POP.
WTF??? Seriously, this would have pissed me off.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCAR View Post
Safelite is good, they should be able to install while you are at work
Yep. In fact I had the guy fix a chip/hole in my windshield with their resin filler. 15K mi later nothing's changed. That's a lot of bouncing, slamming, hot and cold weather, and highway driving, and it's still held.

I'm impressed with their work.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote