Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Water beading a week after being washed

I had washed the car on a Sunday and drove it to work all week. On Friday, it decided to drizzle/rain all day, so I took a few pics of Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish beading water. This is after about 500 miles of road dust and sitting near a construction site for 3 days.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Is that Meguiar's spray wax? The stuff meant to be used every week or two? I like using those spray-on waxes after every wash or two, washing once a week.

Last year I bought a sealer (https://www.silverwax.ca/en/product/...paint-sealant/) which is basically like a liquid wax but even more durable (liquid wax might typically be applied every 3 months and the sealer every 6 months). I last applied the sealer back in May and the water still nearly beads like that. Good stuff; recommended
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Is that Meguiar's spray wax? The stuff meant to be used every week or two? I like using those spray-on waxes after every wash or two, washing once a week.
You're thinking of 'Ultimate Quick Wax' which is for use between waxings or as a drying aid after washes. Ultimate Fast Finish is, per Meguiar's, their longest lasting sealant (up to a year they say). All I know is that it's inexpensive, is a dream to wipe on/wipe off and seems to last a decent amount of time. The only reason I apply it as often as I do is BECAUSE it's so easy and I enjoy waxing my car.

I have found that putting on 2 - 3 coats over the weekend (12 - 24 hours between coats minimum) gives the best results and all you need is 2 microfiber cloths, 1 to apply and 1 to remove. I'll wash the car Saturday morning & apply a coat. Then let the car sit in the garage overnight and Sunday morning put on a 2nd coat.

Ultimate Quick Wax

Ultimate Fast Finish
Old 10-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Rad. If this stuff lasts a whole year then I maybe it's kind of like their sealant - I was looking for their "sealant" awhile back and couldn't find anything called that, but maybe this is essentially it; I'll have to try it next time.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Rad. If this stuff lasts a whole year then I maybe it's kind of like their sealant - I was looking for their "sealant" awhile back and couldn't find anything called that, but maybe this is essentially it; I'll have to try it next time.
I know of at least one Canadian who has crossed the border just to pick up some Ultimate Fast Finish, because he couldn't find any near him or he didn't want to pay shipping or something. But you could also try Ultimate Liquid Wax, it's a sealant too. It's not as easy as Ultimate Fast Finish, but it's no slouch either.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I have used Ultimate Fast Finish on both my car and the wife's Focus. Was very happy with the product and the results. The beading after it rained was very good and when I drove home after work that day the water just slid right off the car seemingly in clumps as it was full beads just flying off.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Between this and their Wash and Wax Anywhere, Who needs anything else ?
I also buy my microfiber towels from Georgia Towels at less than a buck apiece in the 50 count bundle !!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
This product seems like a longer lasting version of BF Crystal Seal or Optimum Opti-seal, though these are WOWA sealants, the Megs just needs a wipe to remove any high spots that didn't flash off. It is a polymer sealant.

A year of durability seems a little exaggerated, I haven't found any reviews that show it lasting more then 3-4 months on a daily driver, which for the amount of work to apply, is very good.

It also will stain trim work on some cars.

I'm curious of how resistant it is to acids and mineral deposits. I have tried many sealants and haven't found one yet even close to Carpro Essence/Reload/Hydrofoam. Bird bombs, bug splatter, calcium or lime.... all these have come in to contact with my paint and I've never had any etching, even if it bakes in the sun for 4-5 hours.

I polish once a year with Essence, top with Reload, then once every 3 months wash with Hydrofoam. Car sheets water so well after rinsing on a weekly maintenance wash, I have hardly any water left to dry.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I picked up my car in January of this year. I haven't waxed it yet. Rain and water is still beading up though. I think something is in the rinse water that the car wash uses. Whatever it is, I love it. 10 months and I've never had to wax it lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Even my windshield looks like it has rain-x on it.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote