Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
OBD11 cycle required ?(a little long)

I have owned my 2011 SS LS3 for 7 years. I store it in the winter with a trickle charger. I took it out and drove it to my local station for a sticker last month. Guy told me it failed and asked if I disconnected the battery. I said I did not it was on a 2amp trickle charge. He said maybe the battery charge just got too low. The scanner stated the Camaro's ECM did not see the O2 sensor or evap sensor. He said I have to drive it using a series of techniques like cold start it and turn the AC on high and the rear window defroster and then take it out on the highway and drive it at 55mph for 3-5 minutes then coast to 20 mph... So he slapped a big "R" reject on my beautiful ride. Unfortunately, the day this happened, I got hurt that afternoon by falling off the back of my truck and fractured my femur and broke my hip. So I can't drive it yet. It's sitting in my garage. When I am able to drive it, if this technique doesn't work, would I be better off just disconnecting the negative battery cable and rebooting the entire system then driving the car for 50 or so miles ?
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
50 to 100 miles. get inspected. pass. be happy.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
If you are still on the original battery you are beyond due for a new one.

I had the same issue after I had my battery replaced. There is a specific drive cycle that can be done but what I did was 90 minutes ~70 MPH as well as some spirited driving around town.

Here in IL they didn't give me a fail, I just didn't pass.

One sensor still showed Not Ready but they passed me here in IL.

I broke my femur some years ago and that big bone took over six months to heal. The doctor put in a plate so I didn't have a cast. Driving wasn't as hard as walking, so other than getting in and out of the car it was just like sitting in a chair. It was 10 days before I was driving.

The hip is not so bad if they put a pin in it. I broke mine last winter when I slipped on some ice. I was using a walker and driving three days after surgery and moved to a cane in ~4 weeks.

Keep doing your therapy and I wish you well.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
This happened to me with my Avalanche a couple of years ago when taking it in to get inspected the day after replacing the battery. Failed 4 readiness codes. Looked up a drive cycle test and spent about 30 minutes doing the things required, took it back and it passed all but evap. In NY you only need 3 of the 4 to pass and I hear evap sometimes can take hundreds of miles before it will clear. Toughest part is finding a road desolate enough where you can do the accels and decels without incurring road rage from someone.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
GraySS2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
If you are still on the original battery you are beyond due for a new one.

I had the same issue after I had my battery replaced. There is a specific drive cycle that can be done but what I did was 90 minutes ~70 MPH as well as some spirited driving around town.

Here in IL they didn't give me a fail, I just didn't pass.

One sensor still showed Not Ready but they passed me here in IL.

I broke my femur some years ago and that big bone took over six months to heal. The doctor put in a plate so I didn't have a cast. Driving wasn't as hard as walking, so other than getting in and out of the car it was just like sitting in a chair. It was 10 days before I was driving..

The hip is not so bad if they put a pin in it. I broke mine last winter when I slipped on some ice. I was using a walker and driving three days after surgery and moved to a cane in ~4 weeks.

Keep doing your therapy and I wish you well.
Thanks for the information. Can't wait to drive it again. Surgeon placed a cable around my femur to hold it and did a full hip replacement using the posterior method because of the femur break. So screws, cement , titanium ball and spike and cable shoved into my leg. I am such a dumb ass for loosing my balance. And I don't even drink
Old 05-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
GraySS2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
This happened to me with my Avalanche a couple of years ago when taking it in to get inspected the day after replacing the battery. Failed 4 readiness codes. Looked up a drive cycle test and spent about 30 minutes doing the things required, took it back and it passed all but evap. In NY you only need 3 of the 4 to pass and I hear evap sometimes can take hundreds of miles before it will clear. Toughest part is finding a road desolate enough where you can do the accels and decels without incurring road rage from someone.
Somewhat similar here; station attendant said I only needed one of the two to get a pass (evap or O2 sensor..
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
GraySS2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL2SS View Post
50 to 100 miles. get inspected. pass. be happy.
Thanks for the reply, but I drove it out of the station onto the highway for about 30 miles fluctuating the speed. I took it back and the readings wee still zero. I'll try the cycle thing when I can drive it. Here in Massachusetts we have 60 days to get it back to the station that failed it for another try. So I have until June 23 otherwise I pay another $35 to the state
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
This is the cycle that worked me:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
Mine had a similar "Not Ready" fail. Came home, opened the hood and found an evap system connector loose by the throttle body. Reconnected it and drove it about an hour and a half around town and on the interstate. Went back to the emission station and passed.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #10
L6611983

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
readiness

My Emissions readiness s/DTC always all set approximately 790 to 800 miles consistently, evaporative system would be the last.
L6611983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
I have owned my 2011 SS LS3 for 7 years. I store it in the winter with a trickle charger. I took it out and drove it to my local station for a sticker last month. Guy told me it failed and asked if I disconnected the battery. I said I did not it was on a 2amp trickle charge. He said maybe the battery charge just got too low. The scanner stated the Camaro's ECM did not see the O2 sensor or evap sensor. He said I have to drive it using a series of techniques like cold start it and turn the AC on high and the rear window defroster and then take it out on the highway and drive it at 55mph for 3-5 minutes then coast to 20 mph... So he slapped a big "R" reject on my beautiful ride. Unfortunately, the day this happened, I got hurt that afternoon by falling off the back of my truck and fractured my femur and broke my hip. So I can't drive it yet. It's sitting in my garage. When I am able to drive it, if this technique doesn't work, would I be better off just disconnecting the negative battery cable and rebooting the entire system then driving the car for 50 or so miles ?
Thank God I live in South Carolina where we don't have inspections or emissions testing.

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote