Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Catch Can Dry

Well I installed an Elite Catch Can right before the fest, after the spirited drive to Houston which was about 800 miles and all the driving during fest, the can was still bone dry. Has anybody else encountered this same situation?

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The first thing you need to do is review your install and make sure everything is hooked up properly. There is no way it should be bone dry after 800 miles.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
As long as you verify the connections are correct, this is a good thing.
It indicates successful break-in and good piston ring seal.
A catch can will collect more oil, indicating blow-by, with less effective piston ring seal.
The RX catch can on my LS3 collects less than an ounce of oil between oil changes.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Yep, i'd check the installation. elite is great. checked mine yesterday once i got home from work and had quite a bit. I belieave its around 800 miles since i last drained it following my last oil change.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

I will check it again tonight since I want to reroute the hoses anyway.

After taking a look at a couple at fest, the hoses were connected in same locations, tube off of top of passenger side valve cover and bung on air intake tube before TB. I can't see why these locations wouldn't work, but I did notice other locations that could be used so am I missing something here?

I did follow the same stringent break-in procedures I use on my race car motors so hopefully there is just no blow by to be catching, but I just want to make sure since I've seen so many others reports of quite a bit of oil in their cans.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Sounds to me like you hooked it up to the clean side. That's not where most do it. You should have to remove the little loop of a hose down to the side/under the throttle body on the passenger side. It will plug into the intake itself, behind the throttle body.

I have a can on the dirty side AND the clean side. (Just a cheap-o can on the clean side, as it's usually very, very clean.)
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Check out the installation instructions for our catch can. Your can should be hooked up the same way.

http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Check out the installation instructions for our catch can. Your can should be hooked up the same way.

http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html
Thanks Chase, your instructions are very clear and apparently I had hooked it up to the clean side as shibbs indicated. Elite's instructions were very lacking in comparison, so I went with what looked like it made sense, but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for getting me on the right track.

BTW We missed you all at C5Fest this year.

504hp/478tq
Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Sounds to me like you hooked it up to the clean side. That's not where most do it. You should have to remove the little loop of a hose down to the side/under the throttle body on the passenger side. It will plug into the intake itself, behind the throttle body.

I have a can on the dirty side AND the clean side. (Just a cheap-o can on the clean side, as it's usually very, very clean.)
Agreed. It definitely sounds like it's hooked up on the Clean side.

Here are the nipples that they should be hook ed up to on the LS3:

The top nipple goes to the side of the catch can and the bottom nipple goes to the top of the catch can.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Thanks Chase, your instructions are very clear and apparently I had hooked it up to the clean side as shibbs indicated. Elite's instructions were very lacking in comparison, so I went with what looked like it made sense, but apparently I was wrong. Thanks for getting me on the right track.

BTW We missed you all at C5Fest this year.
No problem. Glad I could help.

Apex did not set up a display but I was there. I flew in Thursday morning and mostly hung out with the RideTech guys.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
So far my Elite catch can has caught an entire water bottle in 640 miles! Ya, I think I have something wrong. Lol!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Well I installed an Elite Catch Can right before the fest, after the spirited drive to Houston which was about 800 miles and all the driving during fest, the can was still bone dry. Has anybody else encountered this same situation?
I just posted this a few days ago. This was at about 1500 miles. I would go back and make sure you have everything routed correctly. I remember when I did the install it seemed a little confusing at first and I could see where someone could hook it up wrong.