Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
dlct3

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Newbie Track Help Please!! ZL1 1LE questions..

OK, I'll admit.. I bought the 1LE because I can appreciate the cars potential and features of the ZL1 1LE, but had no real need or past experience to warrant. So 6 months in I'm wanting to learn more about the cars ability and have a few questions I was hoping you all could help with. I'm tracking the car for the first time this weekend on stock tires, etc.

1st What tire pressures to start with? (Still on Nitrogen at like 27 cold)

2. Do I leave the factory suspension settings as is for now or adjust? Side effect on tire wear either way?

3. Which mode to start with? I want a "safe" mode being new to the car and any sort of road course use.

4. I'd love to see other threads on "how to" or helpful road course etiquette.

5.. What am I missing other than the normal "torque wheels, fill with gas, check tires, wear the proper safety equipment, etc"

Appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by dlct3; 04-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.
dlct3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlct3 View Post
OK, I'll admit.. I bought the 1LE because I can appreciate the cars potential and features of the ZL1 1LE, but had no real need or past experience to warrant. So 6 months in I'm wanting to learn more about the cars ability and have a few questions I was hoping you all could help with. I'm tracking the car for the first time this weekend on stock tires, etc.

2. Do I leave the factory suspension settings as is for now or adjust? Side effect on tire wear either way?

3. Which mode to start with? I want a "safe" mode being new to the car and any sort of road course use.

5.. What am I missing other than the normal "torque wheels, fill with gas, check tires, wear the proper safety equipment, etc"

Don't over think it on your first event. You can take the car out as is and it will do great at your level. The more events you do, the more you'll pick up stuff from other people.

The mode you'll want to be in is Track: PTM Sport 1. See how that feels, and move on from there.

Track etiquette will depend a lot on the track. They will go over everything you need to know at the event.

You might want to look into track insurance unless you're filthy rich. Your regular auto insurance won't cover driving on track.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:

I would suggest that you look into a HPDE (high performance driving event) event. There are several good sanctioning bodies (NASA, HOD, CHIN, etc.) These will be very organized and designed with safety first in mind. You can sign up as a "Novice" driver and get a coach in the car with you. The class rooms will help with etiquette and the coach will ingrain it. Your track insurance will run ~$400 for the event (1 day or 3 day, it is for the event).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Even for your 1st time out, I'd have the brake fluid flushed and replaced with a high temp fluid such as Castrol SRF. If you enjoy yourself, you can build from there and play with the suspension / alignment etc...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
check out the track prep document provided by GM. I recommend Sport 1 with the PTM as it allows for plenty of fun with a bit of necessary intervention. Flush/bleed the brakes with DOT4 fluid such as Motul 600. Pay attention to your mirrors on straights and be aware of approaching cars. Don't brake when a faster car approaches...lift a little and go back to your business. Be smooth with inputs and not abrupt. Listen to your instructor and speed will come after more time and track knowledge. Start with 28-29psi cold and leave the pressure alone unless the ambients soar from first session to the last. Every 10 degrees of ambient temp is about 1psi.

Figure out what gear you need to be in and where. You can be in a numerically higher gear and use the torque of the LT4 to help with powering out of tight corners. For example, places you may think 2nd gear would be more ideal will possibly overpower the tires and third is better for all concerned. Relax, have fun, and report back!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
All good advice, DOT 4 is a must and no more than Sport 1 for a while. Stock set up will be fine, get an instructor for at least part of the day. You will dig it!
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Bring it to Camaro Fest in July and run with Hooked on Driving instructors and also plenty of great Camaro specific advice direct from the experts.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1
I will start a check list for some of the new folks (track rats to be). I own a GEN 6, so my information will be a bit more specific to the Gen6 models. Gen5 folks, do read up in the owners manual.

Fresh Oil Change (Gen 6 - DEXOS 2 5W-40W) Motul is what I use.
Fresh Brake Fluid - I use Motul RBF600
Rear Differential - Fresh change (Stock for Gen6 - just short of 2 quarts)
Tires - Make sure that they are in very good shape. Think about dropping the air pressure 2-3 pounds or more before you start your first run group. Monitor the pressure through the day.
Lug Nuts - Torqued to 140 foot pounds. Do this while the wheels are COLD. There will be several torque wrenches around the hotel or Wednesday meet and greet at Smokey Bones.
Brakes - Make sure that they are in very good shape.
Everything comes out of the car (just be ready for this)
Tech inspection (there will be a tech sheet that you will either need to fill out yourself or you may need to have filled out by an ASE certified tech (HOD - uses a self tech sheet -- other sanctioning bodies require ASE filled out sheets)

FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST EDITS / ADDS / CHANGES

Thanks for this. May I include it as part of the NCM thread when we post it, and put it on our website/facebook page? We'll have other more specific details, as well. All to come very soon!

EDITS/ADDITIONS:

1) We will be using HOD's tech self-inspection sheet. We reserve the right to overrule a self-inspection if we need to for safety.

2) Brake Fluid: The Owners manual recommends a fluid with a 536š boiling point or higher. But figure on DOT4 minimum requirements or better. Many qualify (I, for example, use ATE 200), but ALL are better than factory-fill DOT3. It can boil on you at the end of a hot session. If it's older (1+ years), it'll boil all the sooner.

3) Helmet Requirements: Snell SA2010 or newer (full face or open face are fine)

4) Shorts and short sleeves will be allowed...it's just too hot that time of the year to enforce long pants and sleeves.

5) CLOSED TOE SHOES...NO BOOTS/"Timberlands", no sandals. I'd rather you drove barefoot!

6) ZL1 1LEs (I hope to see more than just mine and Ofer's on the track!! Manufacturer oil requirements for a track day is Mobil1 15W-50. Take that for what it's worth!

BRING WATER, a CHAIR, and possibly some SHADE.
We'll have water available, but bring your own, too - can never have enough!

We'll also post a few videos folks can watch to familiarize themselves with the track/turns.

Gosh - the more I talk about it, the more I can't WAIT!!!

This is the link and a piece of the thread that is running in the CamaroFest VIII header.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Some good info in here. A reputable performance driving school/club will get you set up to drive safely and confidently. Several of your question are better directed at them, in person.

Here is the track prep document from Chevy. You're going to LOVE this car out there!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2018-track-preparation-guide.pdf (224.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
dlct3

Wow. Excellent feedback and thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it all.

Also, thanks for the links, guides, etc. I'll use it.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Wow. Excellent feedback and thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it all.

Also, thanks for the links, guides, etc. I'll use it.

There aren't many of us, we take care of our own!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
dlct3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

There aren't many of us, we take care of our own!
Haha For sure. 1st Track day complete! Ran the "Track nights of America" through the SCCA at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. Great event and I learned a bunch. Spent 1 session riding with an advanced driver which helped point out the lines and apex's.

Ran the sport 1 mode and it saved me a couple times. I'd like to see if there is forum dedicated to our different modes explaining each more in depth.. I had a lot of power loss leaving the corners in 2nd and 3rd until rpms reached closer to 4500 or above as I assume tire spin was detected. Would Sport 2 remove that or just turn the "active handling" off? I should disclose in all fairness I probably committed a track cars sin and had some performance mods completed in Dec which raised the power to about 750/750 at the engine.

Any helps appreciated and thank to every again for the assistance!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Yeah... possibly spinning at 750rwhp. With that much HP you will have to be patient putting your foot down. Glad you did well. I would wait for Sport 2 with that much HP for now.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
dlct3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Yeah... possibly spinning at 750rwhp. With that much HP you will have to be patient putting your foot down. Glad you did well. I would wait for Sport 2 with that much HP for now.
Thanks, but I meant 750 crank hp. Dyno was about 679 rwhp. Sorry for confusion.

Does sport 2 hold back any power from wheel slip or just remove the active handling?