Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #127
nhra stocker

Drives: 69,10 camaro 71 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
Haha, well fogive me, I thought that everyone knew that I was the LSA 2010 Camaro poster child

My posts come from actually having the engine in my Camaro that may end up in the Z28.

Since I heard the rumors we thought it would be cool to get one in a Camaro.

The automatic was an attempt to solve some of the problems involved with the high horsepower builds. The 6060 and the 6L80 leave a little bit to be desired when trying to make more power. At the time there were no gears available and the 4L80E allowed us to get the power to the ground without killing the trans or rear end.

Robin
Has anyone one from GM contacted you in anyway on your build?
1982 Siverado 4x4 454 Mud truck stock class 3.66 sec in 150' of mud
nhra stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #128
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Oh, I know the lsa is capable, but you have to think in terms of mass production. Tunes can't be even close to as aggressive as aftermarket because the car has to run perfect in Denver and Florida. It's got to handle being beat on, repeatedly for a hundred thousand miles plus, per GM warranty. It would be very tough for GM to bump output to 700hp with the current lsa and maintain warranty. There's a reason the ls9 exists and it's making "only" 640hp. I agree with you on the z28's handling, but the gt500's handling is good, VERY good. It handles right with the base vette. If the z28 does handle better, it won't be by much. I would be willing to be we will see the same perormance difference between the z28 and gt500 that we see between the 5.0 and ss. . . almost nothing.

LOL Robin, I see what you did there. Left the little detail about the LSA out. So you have an engine swap with bolt ons. Sounds bad ass. Are you the only one with an LSA camaro currently?
I see what you're saying I don't really know how practical it would really be. Like you said, LS9 has improvements OVER LSA, for a reason, but I keep forgetting Ford will sell that package WITH a warranty... I don't know, personally, that I'd have a problem pushing 700 FHWP through LSA, but it wouldn't be apples-to-apples. I take nothing away with what Ford's managed to achieve with handling; I still think GM's IRS is better-suited all around, but I think we'll see eventually. I believe you're right on the difference in handling, but I'm hoping for more, lol - obviously

I don't recall anyone else posting they have LSA in their car. His car is RAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Automatic What are we PQ?
I don't think he'd think it was as funny as me though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #129
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Talking u know i just realized. . . .

Aside from GT500 stomping performance, power ect,

I'd also like to see wider wheel wells and lower stance making the Z28 LOOK as aggressive as I HOPE and WANT it to be! =)

Can they do something about the hideous on-star antenna? -.- lol

Dude man dude I wanna drive sideways ina Z28!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #130
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Automatic What are we PQ?
LOL, I am with you. I do not like automatic transmissions. Hey this was a project car and we had goals.

Now I must say that this deal is a blast to drive. Still if don't sell the car I will re install the 6060, install a milder cam and re install the stock exhaust.

The power that I give up with the exhaust won't kill me. The car will be a lot more enjoyable. With the cam and Kooks 3" exhaust the car is loud. Not that I mind but it attracts too much attention.

My pal at GMPP wants me to take the LSA back to stock and see what it runs.

If my wife wants it as a driver that is the route we would go. Of course I would install the CTS-V brakes at that time also.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #131
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
Ok, this may get me flamed or banned or just trashed... but if GM cant (or wont?) manage to just flat-out drop the hammer on the Mustang with this car... I am going to be so insanely disappointed and ashamed its not even funny.

The 6.2L has so much more available than GM is utilizing ... I can understand coming out with a car thats neck and neck "for the masses" but the Z28 isnt that car, the SS is... the Z28 has the ability to finally SLAM the door on the GT500.

a supercharged version of the Lxx motor should be able to put out viper-killing power... 650hp, as MANY of the C5 community knows already, is fairly easy to reach with these motors.

Come on General... we Camaro faithful have been losing this battle to the poontangs long enough! You made a car that looks like it should whoop some serious ass, and for all accounts, it does... but its time to stop JUST clearing the hurdles, blow this one out of the freakin water!
As much as we dont like it, they are running a business and any business is going to leave "room for more" whether it be computers, cars, golf clubs, etc.. If they made the best they could,pulled out all the punches, people would still want more from them that next year.

You almost have to leave something in reserve (at least until you have something completely different and great), because otherwise you're almost required to keep improving your best year after year.

Take golf clubs, do you really think the 2010 driver of brand x is really that much better than 2009 model? Likely no, but they had to make something that seems like an improvement to keep customers buying. Same goes for cars; you make a 1000hp car, and the next year people are going to want 1100hp. But if youre already at your max on the R&D front, then what are you going to offer that next year...

Also, for cars, how much hp can they keep upping it by?? We're not going to see 620hp from the Z28 in factory form. Why would you put more hp in a car than another one youre trying to justify selling for $100k (ZR1)???

And how much hp are you going to legally turn over to Joe Blow? At what point are you just selling "silly hp"? Its not like owning a gun where people have to have some sort of competency or clean legal history. Any idiot with $100k can go buy a 620hp car in this country (Thank you USA! -)
But I cant see car manufacturers throwing 700+hp in a car, for under $45-$60k (im trying to estimate the Z28's price here)

Dont get my post confused by thinking I dont want this to happen - I do. I love USA, cold beer and fast cars. I'm just saying I dont think its going to happen. There may be a peak to the hp wars and I think we're damn close to that peak.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #132
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
So there's the GT500 we heard about from that other set of pictures
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #133
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Has anyone checked to see if GM retained the rights to use "Z-28" ? I know , back before they did the ZR1, people were speculating on the name, be it "SS" or whatever. Maybe this won't be called the Z28..maybe the Camaro Grand Sport, with a even more potent Camaro to come out later.The maked badge on the side looks about the same length and height as the Corvette Grand Sport badge.Just my observation, but what do I know?If they were to put a "supercharged" badge on it, I think it should be on the hood cowl sides. I also wonder if the duel/duel exhaust has the "flaps" like the Vette, that open up fully at full throttle.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #134
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
What's funny is GM/Chevy have their sights set on the GT500, yet all the Mustang kids keep thinking about is how the GT500 compares to the vette.

Team Chevy better bring their A-team to the game.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #135
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
Seeing the Mustang coming in behind the Camaro reminds me of the story of two cars in a grudge match. The hometown car lost and the hometown paper put its own spin on the story. "Hometown car comes in second and out of town car comes in next to last!"
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #136
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
the badge on the side could say anything. i might spell out (CAMARO SUPERCHARGED)

could be SUPERCHARGED Z28. who knows
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #137
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhra stocker View Post
Has anyone one from GM contacted you in anyway on your build?
I was sponsored by the marketing arm of GM Performance Parts. My Camaro project was part of my duties while under contract with GM. I am no longer under contract.

Most of the help that I recieved was from Jason Haines at Lingenfelter. They have extensive history with the LSA in CTS-V customer cars.

Our goal was to highlight the performance potential of the GM Performance Parts LSA crate engine.

If my wife doesn't want the Camaro as a driver I will pull the LSA and re install the LS3. I will save the LSA for another project

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #138
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
god i hope they go with better tires after all the criticism the GT500 has gotten....... Doesn't the CTS-V get PS2 s?
CTS-V has the PS2 - yes. I'm sure those Goodyears are okay, but why stray from a good formula? Price maybe? Maybe it's too early to pass judgement; I'm sure that's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSyanide View Post
Has anyone checked to see if GM retained the rights to use "Z-28" ? I know , back before they did the ZR1, people were speculating on the name, be it "SS" or whatever. Maybe this won't be called the Z28..maybe the Camaro Grand Sport, with a even more potent Camaro to come out later.The maked badge on the side looks about the same length and height as the Corvette Grand Sport badge.Just my observation, but what do I know?If they were to put a "supercharged" badge on it, I think it should be on the hood cowl sides. I also wonder if the duel/duel exhaust has the "flaps" like the Vette, that open up fully at full throttle.
It should be called "ASP KICKER"

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #139
Fenah

Drives: car
Dear Lord. Cant wait!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #140
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The horsepower will not stop increasing anytime soon, which is a good thing. There is no movement to save buyers from themselves when buying high HP cars, look at what enough money can get you: 1001 HP Veyron. As long as there is a market big enough to pay the bank, they'll keep making more and more expensive and higher HP models. I do think, though, there should be a special license for drivers of cars in excess of 500HP . Plain old regular drivers licence shouldn't cover everything from a Kia to a Lambo or Veyron.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote