Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
It was working for a bit here now they are doing a maintenence update and what not and will be back online at 7pmGMT which should be now.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Looks pretty cool but i'll wait till the prices drops, still enjoying Sims 3

Last edited by Lil' Nasty; 03-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Anyone want to make a region and start cities?? My username is Tayap79 on Origin if you want to friend me.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Game is broken atm. Horrible launch and HUGE HUGE failure. Tried for about 3 hours over the past 3 days to even play... Servers glitch, timers, things just don't work. Amazon has suspended the sale of the game. Thanks for the always on DRM EA. Just making people want to pirate a WORKING copy of the game.

Cant wait for the big publishing companies to all die out. Its the time of crowdfunded and actual games that are fun again! Not just hollywood showboating bs console crap.

Good games coming via kickstarter and in development...
Planetary Annihilation
Torment
Project Eternity
Star Citizen

No publisher, so the people can actually make money off of their product.

Always online DRM isnt an excuse for pirating. But in this case when the game doesn't work DUE to the DRM then I cant wait till I can play pirate a single player version... However, I would recommend anyone who is a big sim fan to stick to 4.

Personally? I'm going to get a refund on this pile of crap but the wait time is 3+ hours on CS.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
ZLWonton

Drives: 2014 ZL1 BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
Anyone want to make a region and start cities?? My username is Tayap79 on Origin if you want to friend me.
I'll hit you up. Same screen name xanytos
ZLWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Agreed the launch was a failure, however the game is great -when- you can play it.

Maxis generally puts out good product and they will patch and fix these issues. Stuff ran great during the beta tests, but to go this massive...there's bound to be bugs. I work in software and have seen game releases for ages. Most online games have a shakedown even when they go live. Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, you name it...ti's happened.

There is the whole issue of making it online only, however I don't have a huge problem with that. It's making sure you can continue to play if the servers go down that's the issue. If the servers stay active, and there is some recovery where your local game still gets saved then synced later when connection is re-esablished...well, that's what I'd really want.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Steve, the new Tomb Raider is pretty good on the PC. I am running on Ultra settings on my GTX680. There is slight pausing every now and then and NVIDIA and the game maker are working on it. They did not have any issues in the beta but some code change at the end may be causing it.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Couldn't find your username. I'm stvdallas.

I've sent a request to Xanytos...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Tayap79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Couldn't find your username. I'm stvdallas.

I've sent a request to Xanytos...
Sent you a request. Not sure if you have to be on the same server or not to send an invite but I'm on North America East 2.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Sent you a request. Not sure if you have to be on the same server or not to send an invite but I'm on North America East 2.
Ah, I'm on NA West, but it wouldn't surprise me that we couldn't see each other because of that.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
Tayap79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Ah, I'm on NA West, but it wouldn't surprise me that we couldn't see each other because of that.
I found you by just looking up through Origin before starting the game. If you start a new region, to invite anyone just go to region view, click on a city plot and click Invite instead of claim.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Reviews on Best Buy and Amazon collectively is 1 star. Thats crazy for such an anticipated game. The fact you need to connect to a server to play single player is pretty stupid. I get its good for a world wide economy, but what if you wanted to play it offline where you didnt have a net connection.

With that aside, how is the gameplay once you actually get in? Are the buildings randomly generated like SC2000 or is it more like SC4 where you pick the building you want and place it?
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
Reviews on Best Buy and Amazon collectively is 1 star. Thats crazy for such an anticipated game. The fact you need to connect to a server to play single player is pretty stupid. I get its good for a world wide economy, but what if you wanted to play it offline where you didnt have a net connection.

With that aside, how is the gameplay once you actually get in? Are the buildings randomly generated like SC2000 or is it more like SC4 where you pick the building you want and place it?
Actually, it isn't crazy. These days, I believe those ratings are meaningless. Take, as an example, ratings for a book that was recently released called A Memory of Light. On Amazon, it got rated a 1 because all the people that couldn't get it digitally through Kindle were pissed at a 2 month wait. The book was still excellent, however people these days have a right here/right now mentality. Basically, the ratings of the book got skewed because of this.

Thing is...pretty much every game that has been a MMO has had a shakedown time. WoW & Diablo 3 were recent examples. Asheron's Call and other games also went through this on release.

In the last 2 days, I've not lost my games like in the beginning. There have been at least 2 patches since release...and my last game has been pretty problem free.

I will say that it is VERY hard to beta test a game like this with real world stress testing.

As far as gameplay, it's pretty good. I'm still wrapping my head around how regions and trade work. You have zones, and the buildings get build automatically. Specific buildings like Fire Stations, Police Stations, Landfills, etc...are placed individually, and have components that add and enhance what those buildings can do.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
I agree with you Steve that the ratings are meaningless. Many people only write reviews when they complain.

As far as how they have handled it....I would say this is a prime example of how not to deal with a situation like this. Every popular game does have its problem at the beginning like you said...BO2 was terrible for couple of weeks regarding the ps3 crashing and kicking people out of games. They fixed and it and now there aren't too many problems. This will happen with Sim City but will take time.

Just my 2 cents.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote