Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Big-T

Drives: 2014 2SS
Pulled the trigger on 8200NEX.. Recommendations?

So the PAC kit was the big catalyst... I love that I can keep the stock look.

I have the Boston Acoustics package, so I think I have an external amp.. but I've also read it sucks? Should I be looking at an amp to compliment this head unit? Is there a modest Sub that would compliment it as well? I don't crank to 11 or listed to heavy bass, but I do like full sounding audio.

I read that the BA speakers are actually pretty decent, and that the new head unit will make a ton of difference. Stock the sound sounds a bit muted to me. If the BA speakers suck, though, this would be the time to tackle it. If there are some generic suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I've also seen posts elsewhere about the iDatalink from Maestro (though not a ton here), and was interested if that was worth it. Anyone here using it?

Thanks guys!
Big-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Yes, you have an amp with the BA system. I replaced my stock amp (its in the trunk, drivers side) first with the JL400 and also had a sub amp with a 10" sub. Made a huge difference. I have since changed it by putting an Alpine 4.1 amp where the stock amp was. I liked having an all-n-1 amp vs two amps. I have changed my stock speakers.

My last thing has been the head unit and never liked the looks of the other mounts. But I will be getting the PAC soon with a Kenwood or Pioneer
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
I just pulled the trigger on the new kenwood because of the PAC unit as well. will post pics when install is done. I'm also doing some custom pods for some highs and and a 3rd mid range.
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 AM   #4
Big-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Yes, you have an amp with the BA system. I replaced my stock amp (its in the trunk, drivers side) first with the JL400 and also had a sub amp with a 10" sub. Made a huge difference. I have since changed it by putting an Alpine 4.1 amp where the stock amp was. I liked having an all-n-1 amp vs two amps. I have changed my stock speakers.

My last thing has been the head unit and never liked the looks of the other mounts. But I will be getting the PAC soon with a Kenwood or Pioneer
How difficult was the amp install? What sub did you go with, and where did you put it? And what speakers did you go with?

My apologies for all the questions... just looking for good recommendations. If I had my druthers, I'd opt for an Infinity reference speaker set, but it looks like that would be a real pain to install components on this thing. That said, whatever the easily-attainable improvements are, I'd like to go ahead and jump on.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
Big-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's ZL1 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the new kenwood because of the PAC unit as well. will post pics when install is done. I'm also doing some custom pods for some highs and and a 3rd mid range.
Which Kenwood did you go with? I honestly had a really hard time between the DDX9903S and the 8200NEX.

In the end, I made the $200 decision to not have to hit "ok." When I type it out it sounds stupid, but those screens really do annoy the shit out of me. The fact you can get the capacitive screen without having to pay for NAV is really cool IMHO.. and the menu aesthetics are really sharp. But that OK screen sticking around just bugs me to no end.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
cybercoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-T View Post
How difficult was the amp install? What sub did you go with, and where did you put it? And what speakers did you go with?

My apologies for all the questions... just looking for good recommendations. If I had my druthers, I'd opt for an Infinity reference speaker set, but it looks like that would be a real pain to install components on this thing. That said, whatever the easily-attainable improvements are, I'd like to go ahead and jump on.
Glad to help - way to easy to install. I used an amp board, FARK connector - makes it plug and play and stealth sub box from sub thump. I had another sub box at first but it was always in the way. This stealth box give me more room. You do need to cut the side carpet mold but thats no big deal.

I ended up with the Alpine PDR-V75 amp. It is mounted where the stock amp was. That is the edge of it on the pic, the silver you see.

The speakers I used are the Hertz audio component (front only). Its not a pain to install components.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-T View Post
Which Kenwood did you go with? I honestly had a really hard time between the DDX9903S and the 8200NEX.

In the end, I made the $200 decision to not have to hit "ok." When I type it out it sounds stupid, but those screens really do annoy the shit out of me. The fact you can get the capacitive screen without having to pay for NAV is really cool IMHO.. and the menu aesthetics are really sharp. But that OK screen sticking around just bugs me to no end.
I ended up going with the Kenwood DNX893S
My audio guys highly recommended it to go along with the stuff I already have installed. I ended up going with the built in NAV, just because I may have shitty cell service somewhere that I might need the NAV.
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Do all BA equipped cars have an amp? Mine didn't come with a sub. And I haven't seen an amp.

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
cybercoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE View Post
Do all BA equipped cars have an amp? Mine didn't come with a sub. And I haven't seen an amp.
Yes, it's in the trunk. Located in the same place you see in the pic above
Old 12-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Ok. Thanks Cybercoaster

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote