Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Installed My Headers!

I got Stainless Power 1 7/8" with off road pipes from Maryland Speed during their 4th of July sale and finally put them on yesterday. I did this in my garage by myself with only the front of the car raised up. All the stock parts came off easily and the headers had so much room I was surprised. The only issue I had was I filed a little off the bolt bracket for the oil dipstick tube and put a socket head bolt in place of the OEM 15 mm bolt. No leaks, sounds great, plenty of exhaust note out the back but still very quiet in the cabin when cruising. My setup is the headers, off road connections and NPP behind that and yes it is LOUD under acceleration! Only had a chance to drive about 10 miles so far and no check engine light yet, Jannetty tune is on the way, can't wait!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
^^^^nice job man!

You have the exact same setup as me, including the JRE remote tune.
I'm contemplating getting that mild to wild switch, just in case......
Yes, it is LOUD at WOT. That said, I MIGHT put the hi flo cats in just to tame it a hair, but we shall see about that.

The S.P headers went in with miles of room to spare as well here. I was quite surprised at the amount of room to be honest.

Only two headaches during the install were a seized O2 sensor, and re-installing the oil dipstick assembly back in that hole on the side of the block.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I love my SP headers in to my NPP too, only difference is I do have HF cats on my setup. There is still a tiny bit of rasp with my setup. Do you guys not have a ton of rasp?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Great bang for the buck, and after the tune you'll really enjoy the Camaro more
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

I can't really comment on the rasp yet as I have only driven it once for a short distance and I still have AFM active so the whole fart can thing is going on. Really it seems to only be obnoxiously loud under hard throttle, not sure I would call it raspy. This car is not driven that much, I wouldn't want it this loud on something I was driving all the time.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I love my SP headers in to my NPP too, only difference is I do have HF cats on my setup. There is still a tiny bit of rasp with my setup. Do you guys not have a ton of rasp?
WOT is loud as hell, but at partial throttle, 50% even, it sounds beautiful really.

Per the rasp, the only way to record accurate observations, would be for me to stand outside while someone else drives Sledge. I've yet to perform this procedure.

It's amazing how different your car may sound from the outside, vs being on the inside even with window open.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
nivensid

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6 speed
Mods on the way, busy weekend ahead....

Waiting on the big brown truck to arrive this week. Stainless 1 7/8 Headers with the High Flow Cats and Retro Chambered Catback. V Max Ported Throttle Body all from JRL Motorsports.
SCT x4 Tuner from Jannetty Racing for the tune. Both of the companies have been great to deal with.
Now lets schedule a weekend off to make all this happen, then comes the cam this winter.
nivensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Good job, now time to grab a tune and wake her up!
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
I must've been the only person installing their own header that found it unbelievably hard to get the passenger side on and off with the little amount of room for my big hands to get in there.

Congrats on the upgrade I bet you loved that first time starting it up once they were on. Completely different sounding car.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Pictures man
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #11
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
How many hours did it take to put them in?

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #12
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Considering that this car mostly goes to car shows and I took my time I did it in small chunks over 3 days, about 2 hours at at time so somewhere around 6 hours. If I did it again I think I could do it in around half that time. If you have all the right tools, which isn't that many, it is not a big job. Make sure you break the O2 sensors loose when they are warm, you can drop the pipes and heat the bungs with a torch if you like. It also wouldn't hurt to soak the 4 bolts connecting the stock manifolds to the pipe flange with some penetrating oil and crack them loose when hot. Make sure you have a 15mm 1/2" drive deepwell 6 point and a swivel or an impact for these. I did not have an impact and had no problem breaking them loose with a ratchet and short cheater bar. The rest is basic stuff and the only problem is getting your hands into a few spots. I do have a strut tower brace that I left on during the job, it is only slightly in the way on the passenger side.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
ddaman922

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1SS M6
I have the same setup as of yesterday. Rotofab, npp with fuse pull, now SP 1 7/8 with off road pipes. She screams when I get on it, but you can still keep it down and have a conversation while driving no problem. Pretty raspy at times, but it's not really a bad thing. Plenty of power for me although I haven't got a tune just yet. That will be my next mod. As for me the passenger side header removal was a PITA! Much better getting the new one on though. Very happy with the quality of the parts and the service by Maryland Speed!
ddaman922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
It was a piece of cake , removing the factory manifolds ,cats and installing the SP headers .Me and my buddy Jody the repo man did it in less then 2 hours ( on a lift ) including having 2 seized O2 sensors that were cross threaded from the factory. The gen 4 were much harder ,and so were the gen 3 Camaros . The second spark plug on the drivers side can be a bitch unless you use an open end wrench on the spark plug socket ,no room for a swivel and ratchet ( hits the header and can crack a plug ). And the last plug in the back on the passenger side is easy from under the car ,as is the last header bolt there too . I can see where it would be areal PITA without a lift .