Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Thank you for your information, this is what I was looking for and from what you are saying, there are many reasons to go with the superdeck over the dry sleeved blocks.

My next question, is it worth it to step up to the 6 bolt block over the 4 bolt with the superdeck set up? This is one thing I have always liked about the LSX design, just makes a lot of sense to me. 20 years ago I was playing with a 400 ci chevy small block and had a hell of a time keeping head gaskets in place. Adding two bolts per cylinder head just seems like good added insurance.

If I go with the 6 bolt super deck (like the looks of the N1 434 package, What heads would be best to go with, standard LSX? Mast Black label? Again, not looking to make +1000 hp, just want stout engine that will last with street driving in that 750 to max 800 hp at least for now!!!
My new build will be a six bolt block and heads. I kick myself for not going with the six bolt in the first place. We are going to use All Pro Heads..

I only wanted ~~800 rwhp originally so we built for that.... How quickly that desire was surpassed.... I wasn't looking for a HP point then, but a mph at the standing mile... We've built towards that... and it's taken more and more and we ended up pushing way beyond the design limits.

I will not spend someone else's money, but I am spending again when I could have done it one time.

May I ask why you are wanting to build such a big cubic inch motor for a maggie... They are better served with smaller cubes for efficiency. The maggie is a nice blower but it would have to be overspun like a mofo to make power in a 441 cubic inch motor....

As for heads, there are a number of choices out there, but people capable of offering more educated opinions in that regard...

Having said all of this... IF you plan to stay with the maggie for good, a four bolt Superdeck will serve you great for years to come...

I ran as much as 24 lbs of boost at the four bolt block.... with LSA heads...That held just fine until we lost boost reference and spiked 30 lbs, went lean on one bank and lifted the head....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
My new build will be a six bolt block and heads. I kick myself for not going with the six bolt in the first place. We are going to use All Pro Heads..

I only wanted ~~800 rwhp originally so we built for that.... How quickly that desire was surpassed.... I wasn't looking for a HP point then, but a mph at the standing mile... We've built towards that... and it's taken more and more and we ended up pushing way beyond the design limits.

I will not spend someone else's money, but I am spending again when I could have done it one time.

May I ask why you are wanting to build such a big cubic inch motor for a maggie... They are better served with smaller cubes for efficiency. The maggie is a nice blower but it would have to be overspun like a mofo to make power in a 441 cubic inch motor....

As for heads, there are a number of choices out there, but people capable of offering more educated opinions in that regard...

Having said all of this... IF you plan to stay with the maggie for good, a four bolt Superdeck will serve you great for years to come...

I ran as much as 24 lbs of boost at the four bolt block.... with LSA heads...That held just fine until we lost boost reference and spiked 30 lbs, went lean on one bank and lifted the head....
What he said! Do it right the first time. Your goals ARE going to change.

As for heads, i have the MAST black label 6bolts and they are doing great and help make big power. AllPro are also on the top of the list. I went with mast based on builders recommendations.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
4 bolt is fine for 1000+ if you are just 1/4 mile/etc. Mile builds probably want 6 bolt at the 1000rwhp range. I know several people making 1000-1200rwhp on 4 bolt heads with no issues that beat the hell out their cars. Basically if you are keeping the Maggie no point in spending extra for the 6 bolt heads. It is a big price jump for an advantage you won't use. Don't forget the gaskets/bolts/etc are a lot more expensive for 6 bolt setups.

For you goals I would do a forged LS2 stroker ~402-408 cubes, aluminum block and juts call it a day. Will take everything the Maggie can throw at it and if you want, can swap to turbos later and make 1000rwhp no issues.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Main reason for the Maggie is simply because its already in the car so it would be simple to just swap to a new long block. Plus, I have a MPD-1 Z-force hood on my car and while the Maggie is a tight fit it DOES fit under the hood well and I am not sure other superchargers would fit. Guess my point of view is that I know the system I have now fits and not sure I want to open a new can of worms with a new supercharger design in the event it will not fit under the custom hood. I fully realize that a whipple would be a much better option for the larger cubes and have to work less to make boost, just have the Maggie and if it will work, would like to keep it and save that added expense. If its not practical to do so, I can sell the Maggie powered L99 as a complete unit I suppose.

Thanks for your time and information!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
What he said! Do it right the first time. Your goals ARE going to change.

As for heads, i have the MAST black label 6bolts and they are doing great and help make big power. AllPro are also on the top of the list. I went with mast based on builders recommendations.
I hear ya, when I bought my 2SSRS in 2010, I told my wife that there I would be totally happy with 400 hp 410 ft/lbs of torque. That lasted about two weeks. Then the bolt ons started coming and then got used to that extra 50 hp, then wanted another 50, then another 50, then another 50......

I feel that 750-800 hp would be the most I would ever want in this car. That said, I agree with you, JUST IN CASE, I want a short block that will handle it if there comes a time when more is wanted.

Thanks for the info on the heads!! Appreciated.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I hear ya, when I bought my 2SSRS in 2010, I told my wife that there I would be totally happy with 400 hp 410 ft/lbs of torque. That lasted about two weeks. Then the bolt ons started coming and then got used to that extra 50 hp, then wanted another 50, then another 50, then another 50......

I feel that 750-800 hp would be the most I would ever want in this car. That said, I agree with you, JUST IN CASE, I want a short block that will handle it if there comes a time when more is wanted.

Thanks for the info on the heads!! Appreciated.
That 750 to 800 does not feel so overwhelming when the summer temps are about the 100 deg mark.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote