Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
1st Car Show and meeting Al Oppenheiser!

Thursday evening there was a Pre-Woodward Dream Cruise Kick-off Camaro Car Show. I decided to make the trip down to the Dream Cruise a day early to attend the show and meet some of the local Camaro owners (being that I'm a new Camaro owner)

The event was top notch! And it was great to meet all the other Camaro owners who all gave me a very warm welcome!!! Thank everyone!

Mr. Oppenheiser had Q&A session and talked about the 5th gens... very cool. He then started walking through all the cars and chatting with the owners. Eventually Mr Oppenheiser (and I believe John Fitzpatrick was also with him... ) stopped at my car and were checking it over (I believe I was the only privately/non-shop owned V6 there... Martin Inc. did have one of there V6's there).

I was a few cars over talking with other members when I noticed they had stopped in front of my car... so I walked over to my car and stood kind of behind them and said "I really love my car.." Both gentlemen looked at me and they asked if this was my car. I told them, yes, it was mine. I explained how the car was a total impulse buy, that I had seen the pictures but I really didn't care for the car. And then I went and seen the car in person and I bought it! I told them I really love the car and have been very impressed with it!

At that point Mr. Oppenheiser asked what I liked most about the car. I told them the I really like the motor! I explained that I thought the LLT was a very nice package and I was very impressed with all the very interesting technology that went into the LLT. I think they were pretty surprised that I was so excited about a V6!

Mr. Oppenheiser then asked what I liked LEAST about my car. I quickly responded with "The exhaust... and we cut it out!" I think that kind of caught him by surprised too! He then asked if i put on an after market system. I explained that my friend owned a performance shop and that we had spent an entire day trying different setups trying to get a better sound.

At that pointed i pulled my car key out of my pocket and offered it to him. He grabbed the key and hopped into my car! He fired up my car... vroom! He looked over and said "That sounds good!" He then gave the car some REALLY HARD REVS!!! He then added "That sounds really good." Boy, was I SMILING!!

Mr. Oppenheiser got out of the car and handed back my car keys. He then went on to explain the V6 is designed for the masses... so a they really couldn't design the V6 to sound as loud and as aggressive mine. I told him I completely understood that!

So we talked just a bit more... basically talking about over coming the perception that Camaro must have a V8 sound... that in fact you can have a very aggressive, performance V6 sound coming from the Camaro!!! He nodded in agreement as we talked....

It was then time for awards... With a Best in Show award to going to each of the Generations. Mr. Oppenheiser started with the 1st Gen. and explained his talk with the owner of the winning car... and then the 2nd Gen, etc. It appeared that the owners enthusiasm toward their car played a big part in Mr. Oppenheiser's selection....

Well, I guess our talk about the LLT and my V6 made an impression on Mr. Oppenheiser... because much to my surprise (ok, I was shocked!) I came home with the award for the 5th Gen!!! WOW! WHAT AN HONOR!!!

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
awesome story and congrats!!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
2SSRS/SS396

Drives: 69 SS 396 Camaro 2010 VR 2SSRS
Very Cool!

You should be proud! Conrats!

2SS/RS Victory Red 6speed manual
Built 9/3 SHIPPED 9/8 Arrived @ dealer 9/17 Picked up 9/18! VIN #43607!
Other toys: 69 X22 Camaro SS 396 4 speed, 74 'Cuda 512 stroker 6pack 4 speed, 09 Harley Fatbob
2SSRS/SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Thanks guys!

The award is proudly displayed on our mantel!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Freckin sweet!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
SSRS2010
SS/RSVIN04274

Drives: 2010 CAMARO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Thursday evening there was a Pre-Woodward Dream Cruise Kick-off Camaro Car Show. I decided to make the trip down to the Dream Cruise a day early to attend the show and meet some of the local Camaro owners (being that I'm a new Camaro owner)

The event was top notch! And it was great to meet all the other Camaro owners who all gave me a very warm welcome!!! Thank everyone!

Mr. Oppenheiser had Q&A session and talked about the 5th gens... very cool. He then started walking through all the cars and chatting with the owners. Eventually Mr Oppenheiser (and I believe John Fitzpatrick was also with him... ) stopped at my car and were checking it over (I believe I was the only privately/non-shop owned V6 there... Martin Inc. did have one of there V6's there).

I was a few cars over talking with other members when I noticed they had stopped in front of my car... so I walked over to my car and stood kind of behind them and said "I really love my car.." Both gentlemen looked at me and they asked if this was my car. I told them, yes, it was mine. I explained how the car was a total impulse buy, that I had seen the pictures but I really didn't care for the car. And then I went and seen the car in person and I bought it! I told them I really love the car and have been very impressed with it!

At that point Mr. Oppenheiser asked what I liked most about the car. I told them the I really like the motor! I explained that I thought the LLT was a very nice package and I was very impressed with all the very interesting technology that went into the LLT. I think they were pretty surprised that I was so excited about a V6!

Mr. Oppenheiser then asked what I liked LEAST about my car. I quickly responded with "The exhaust... and we cut it out!" I think that kind of caught him by surprised too! He then asked if i put on an after market system. I explained that my friend owned a performance shop and that we had spent an entire day trying different setups trying to get a better sound.

At that pointed i pulled my car key out of my pocket and offered it to him. He grabbed the key and hopped into my car! He fired up my car... vroom! He looked over and said "That sounds good!" He then gave the car some REALLY HARD REVS!!! He then added "That sounds really good." Boy, was I SMILING!!

Mr. Oppenheiser got out of the car and handed back my car keys. He then went on to explain the V6 is designed for the masses... so a they really couldn't design the V6 to sound as loud and as aggressive mine. I told him I completely understood that!

So we talked just a bit more... basically talking about over coming the perception that Camaro must have a V8 sound... that in fact you can have a very aggressive, performance V6 sound coming from the Camaro!!! He nodded in agreement as we talked....

It was then time for awards... With a Best in Show award to going to each of the Generations. Mr. Oppenheiser started with the 1st Gen. and explained his talk with the owner of the winning car... and then the 2nd Gen, etc. It appeared that the owners enthusiasm toward their car played a big part in Mr. Oppenheiser's selection....

Well, I guess our talk about the LLT and my V6 made an impression on Mr. Oppenheiser... because much to my surprise (ok, I was shocked!) I came home with the award for the 5th Gen!!! WOW! WHAT AN HONOR!!!

SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
cool
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Now THIS put a smile on my face!! Best story of the day! Congrats!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Congrats!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Congrats to you!!!...what an honor....

I was fortunate to meet Al Oppenheiser, John Cox, John Fitzpatrick, Cheryl Pilcher, and Scott Settlemire, aka the Fbodfather personally at the Camaro/GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA in June...

It was my first car show and it was really cool to get to see all the 5th Gen Camaros in almost every color...

That was the first time I had seen any out there besides mine...

I was fortunate to get to meet all the "superstars" mentioned above, and they signed my engine, and they also signed my husband's book: "Camaro, A Legend Reborn", in which they were all featured...

I am happy to report that meeting them was the highlight of owning and driving my 2010 Camaro...they are all so nice and "down to earth" in person...

They appreciated all the positive feedback about the car and I enjoyed talking with them...

There are pictures of me with them in my photo album on my page titled: Carlisle, PA PHOTOS.......
Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Congrats!_____.
97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Congrats scrming! What a cool story...
Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
Congratulations! I was at the show also. Saw your car (looked real nice) but didn't get a chance to talk to you. I was the one that won the raffle prize.

The Hotel Baronette folks did a great job. Staff was very friendly and their food was great. First time I was at a car show where "butlers" passed food among the cars.

It's always fun to talk about Camaros with people who love them.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
bdstealth

Drives: 2SS/RS White/blk int.M6,GFX
NIICCE
bdstealth is offline   Reply With Quote