Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #29
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
I was wondering about a catch can a few days ago. Glad this thread was made. My throttle body is off and I don't see any oil pooling. Does anybody have pictures of the insides of thier intake? I really want to know and see some with a catch can and without.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #30
brwk

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible - sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
I was wondering about a catch can a few days ago. Glad this thread was made. My throttle body is off and I don't see any oil pooling. Does anybody have pictures of the insides of thier intake? I really want to know and see some with a catch can and without.
AGREE
brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #31
Vivenvex
LSALLTHECARS

Drives: 2000 Z28/LS6/A4, 2015 SS/M6
I've been running a Elite Engineering catch can in my highly modified LS6 swapped 00' Z28 for a couple years. Every 2500 miles or so I have a solid 1.5-2oz of oil in there. Running AMSOil Z-Rod 10-30 ***ambrosia of the gods***.

I'm in the camp of "Get a catch can, it's not gonna hurt."

I'll be picking up one for my 2015 SS in a couple weeks.

2015 SS/RS- Custom Exhaust, VTC, Style 41 wheels, minor crap.... for now

2007 Silverado LT Crew Cab- Straight piped, K&N Intake, Tuned
Vivenvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #32
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Installed a Mike Norris can 500 miles ago. Just drained one oz. of oil out of it, that "WOULD" have gone in my intake.

To each his own...... I like mine.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #33
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I empty my catch can at every fill up if possible and it usually has more in it during spirited driving than just freeway runs.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #34
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I personally would throw CAI systems into that mix. Look at this spread sheet from an independent tester (Janity Racing I think):

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=1&output=html

I think these are a nice addition to mods like a cam and heads, but pretty damn expensive for what you get in gains. Yes they bolt on so anyone can do it, and you protect your warranty I believe, but they at best offer minor gains with equivalent drivability. Heck, how would you feel if you spent $300 on the Roto Fab and lost about 1 HP on avg. At least it fit nice. This is the same thing we saw dynoing K & N stuff back in the day. Just my opinion.

PS: And I fully expect to get ripped about this. But think about a CAI for $300 or so and a catch can for $200 or so...$500. Thats not chump change and you may have accomplished very little.
My butt dyno says otherwise. Do you have these mods on your Camaro?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
It is a solid glob of oil sludge. I could send it to you for a taste test, but only if you promise to video it and post it here.
I don't think taste has anything to do with it but if you pay shipping I will physically analyze it for you.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #36
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Catch can just makes all you people think you're helping out your car. You don't need it. Most of what you catch would be in vapor form and get burned off little by little if you didn't have the can. Sure it looks bad all at once condensed in a jar. If it makes you feel better and you think you're getting 1extra horse out if it, then I guess its not breaking the bank. Some people must have some higher mileage on their cars by now. Anybody care to attest to the fact their motors still fine or otherwise with out this snake oil?
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #37
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Looks like this is one of the first projects that will be on my list when the new car gets to the garage. As others have stated "can't hurt". Ounce of prevention.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #38
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Catch can just makes all you people think you're helping out your car. You don't need it. Most of what you catch would be in vapor form and get burned off little by little if you didn't have the can. Sure it looks bad all at once condensed in a jar. If it makes you feel better and you think you're getting 1extra horse out if it, then I guess its not breaking the bank. Some people must have some higher mileage on their cars by now. Anybody care to attest to the fact their motors still fine or otherwise with out this snake oil?
If you have a point, I'm not sure why you need to be snarky about getting HP out of it. I don't think anyone thinks this a performance mod. Most of us care about our cars and if given the choice, why would you not want to stop the crap from going into your engine?
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #39
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Yeah, you're right. Was in a crummy mood I guess. Its just that i've seen this come up every few weeks it seems and I'll admit that I was clueless as to what this was not too long ago. Then I talked with two rather experienced mechanics who convinced me to dispel the notion of this being useful. To each their own and it certainly can't hurt anything and isn't too costly.

Sorry for being an ass. No good reason for that...
J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #40
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Don't worry about it. I've been there before.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #41
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by '68Z28 View Post
Looks like this is one of the first projects that will be on my list when the new car gets to the garage. As others have stated "can't hurt". Ounce of prevention.
That is the way I look at it. Yes, I have to remember to empty it, but you know what? I think that is well worth keeping that stuff out.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #42
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
My butt dyno says otherwise. Do you have these mods on your Camaro?
Absolutely not. I like you are not a young man and with past experiences and the extensive dyno work I was involved with in my past employment, I have never seen any proof of any substantial benefit of parts like this. Dyno results and track times are the measuring stick (with track times being the true measure, but dyno results can suggest potential improvements or negative effects on track times).
Butt dynos have always been highly suspect. The butt dyno is easily influenced by the brain that so desperately wants to see a positive result from the days project. A little more noise, a different pedal feel, and the belief that ones valves are cleaner (even without proof, but at least you don't have a dirty rag in your intake right!) all have a positive (or negative depending how you look at it) influence on the butt dyno results!

PS: When we are out of warranty, and the car is no longer a daily driver, I will make the hard part improvements to wake it up. I will most likely lose some drivability, some fuel mileage, and possibly some other current benefits of the car, but will gain substantial performance....at least that is the plan at this point.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote