Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #29
giod

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 VIN#6621
Looking for an authorized dealer to install in Central California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara Etc..) Can any decent mechanic do the work with the supplied instructions, or do you recommend someone "certified".. Thanks
giod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
giod

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 VIN#6621
WAit! This isn't going to be CA SMOG LEGAL??? "Never for use upon a Highway" ???!?!
giod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #31
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech 'Charged 06 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
I was liking it all the way to the part "Left in Drive and with the throttle floored, the engine will hit the boost at about 4,000 rpm and scream to 6,000 rpm"
I want my fun to happen right now give me boost right now damit
Still good to see a lot of new options out there though
The thing is, there was no boost gauge in the car they tested, so there was no way to say what boost was at any given rpm on that test vehicle. I have the same V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger on my personal car, and my Autometer digital boost gauge shows positive boost pressure by 2,600rpm every time...and I LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giod View Post
Looking for an authorized dealer to install in Central California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara Etc..) Can any decent mechanic do the work with the supplied instructions, or do you recommend someone "certified".. Thanks
There is a Dealer Locator on our website - just click HERE and punch in your zip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giod View Post
WAit! This isn't going to be CA SMOG LEGAL??? "Never for use upon a Highway" ???!?!
By law, we are required to make this statement on every system we manufacture until the California Air Resources Board attaches an E.O. number to it. We submit every single street supercharger system we manufacture for C.A.R.B. certification, and the Gen. 5 Camaro is no exception to that.
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #32
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
This or the ProCharger kit lol?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
mrgm
cheap and fast

Drives: older
dyno sheet???

I do think the 1/4 was a little high for 600+hp. Would like to see curves.

edit:

This the system?
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...?gik=421&cat=0

Last edited by mrgm; 09-09-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added link
mrgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #34
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCowan View Post
This will pair well with your high stall and put you easily into the 11s, that's why its a good thing.
and maybe a little more gear in the back end....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
Brian@Vortech

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
This or the ProCharger kit lol?
The VORTECH of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgm View Post
dyno sheet???

I do think the 1/4 was a little high for 600+hp. Would like to see curves.

edit:

This the system?
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...?gik=421&cat=0
The dyno sheet for the L99 Auto car is in the vid you posted a link to (semi-readable), with the numbers posted more prominently. We did tune a little more on that same car and subsequently were able to get some additional hp out of her safely, but 600+ crank hp is not unreasonable for a manual trans car. We'll have dyno numbers on a manual car soon for you guys...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #36
a_Username

In your opinion, what skill level mechanic would you say could install this?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #37
Jerseyrican88

Drives: Fast
how much is this going to be? this looks incredible
Jerseyrican88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #38
Brian@Vortech

Quote:
In your opinion, what skill level mechanic would you say could install this?
I would say the main determining factors would be having all the right tools, knowing how to correctly use them, and being comfortable working on your own car. The system should install in 12-16 hours with basic mechanic skills.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #39
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
When you say "Basic Mechanic Skills" - that's a bit broad. (No offense)

My view of "Basic Mechanic Skills" would be changing the oil & filter/battery/tire/spark plugs & a few other minor things..

Installing a Supercharger is a whole different ballgame & a lot of people may not know how clean everything needs to be. I've never seen an LS3 up close, or installed a S/c on one, but I've torn down my share of Chevy engines - 4.3L 5.0L 5.7L.

I looked up a "how to" for installing a S/c on an LS3 Vette & it looks pretty complicated for someone who has only changed the oil in a car.
They took off the air intake, radiator & support, serpentine belt, fuel line, the list goes on.

I'm guessing that anyone who hasn't done this before -> find someone who has (multiple times). You don't want a person working on your NEW Camaro & them cut ends. Basically: Get this done professionally. It's not going to be covered by GM.

Again, not trying to offend you, it's just that I don't want some1 coming on here complaining that you said someone with basic mechanic skills could do this & they ended up catching their car on fire & now they are making payments on a vehicle that doesn't exist anymore.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #40
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
I would say the main determining factors would be having all the right tools, knowing how to correctly use them, and being comfortable working on your own car. The system should install in 12-16 hours with basic mechanic skills.
I installed a Votech kit on my Mustang. The toughest part was punching the oil pan for the return line. I took me forever as it was a big hole which required a big punch. (For those that have not done an install you punched the pan instead of drilling so not to put metal in the oil pan.) I took my time as I was fearful of hitting a rod or the crank. The whole installation took me a weekend. Later I put a built motor in the car and had a fitting welded on before I put the motor in the car. With either motor I loved mine Vortech. Just wish the kits were not as pricey for the new kits. 3-4 K was tons more affordable than 6-7K. Wish Vortech had a customer loyalty discount.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #41
a_Username

Well not many people do that kinda work around here. Would a dealership install it?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #42
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Well not many people do that kinda work around here. Would a dealership install it?
I know some dealers will...But that is up to them, and it can get very pricey.

I have done these installs in the past, and they are not as complicated as you would think.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote