Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Condensation in late 4th gen headlights?

the majority of the late 4th gen camaro's I've seen, have serious condensation issues in the headlights..(that or the plastic is bad quality and deteriorates over time?) i'm not exactly sure..
but..what is the reason for this exactly?, I notice it in a lot of the old 3rd gens as well, not sure about the early 4th gen - just the late 4th gen.
the main reason I notice it, is because they're so big, another reason- headlights are something I really tend to look at, at night, to determine what kind've car it is zooming up behind me, and when the headlight windows are of bad quality on the 4th gen, I usually cannot tell what kind've car it is until its right up next to me. when they are clean/clear I can usually pinpoint almost exactly its either a 4th gen, or a concorde.
due to the circular view of them, and the light slightly bleeding over into the brights section of the headlights. (oddly enough i've never seen a 4th gen with its brights on)

is there a quick fix for this issue?..or is it something that happens so often/costs so much to fix - that its not worth it?.
I personally would want those things to be crystal clear - i hate driving with foged up headlights - my '98 taurus' lights are starting to get that way, but its because the quality of the headlight shield thingy is starting to go bad.
probably because I've had to use the brights so often the past year & a half.
I honestly don't know.
but the reason I ask this - is because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 5th gen along down the line...so I've considered the 4th gen.
gfx would of course be a must.
but yeah - any information regarding the headlights would be awesome

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Honestly, I've never seen condensation in any 4th Gens headlights. Maybe it's because I'm in southern TX where it's a little warmer? I dunno...but I've never seen it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

ah, someone posted a dark blue 4th gen a while back under the
Make All 5th Gen Camaro Photoshop Requests Here! thread,
the camaro's headlights had beginning condensation issues.
im looking at the pictures now (cuz i saved em to my comp), ill try to find em in that thread...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

it was a dark blue 4th gen, one pic was a birds eye view of it, from the top of the front windshield, to the end of the hood.
the other pic was the camaro at an angle, with the wheel turned, turn signal light on, and a tree right behind it, also had a blue trash can on the left of the picture.
so if you come across those perhaps you'll see what I mean.
if flip through that thread more but that super sucks on dial up.
lol
the headlights have a sorta - faded, from top to bottom - foggyness to them when they get this way.
I'm wondering why thats so dang common/why it happens so often.
I've specifically seen it in Chevrolet cars/trucks. (and trust me I've looked at a lotta cars headlights to see if it happens to all cars or whats going on)

Old 06-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Honestly, I've never seen condensation in any 4th Gens headlights. Maybe it's because I'm in southern TX where it's a little warmer? I dunno...but I've never seen it.
you've seen it in other cars tho right?..

Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I imagine it is only the late 4th gens 98-02 since the 93-97's when the headlamp needed to be replaced you had to replace the whole housing since you couldn't replace just the bulb. I know I haven't seen this problem on my car, but then again I have a 95. I haven't seen the issue on any of the ones around here, but again I really haven't looked for it since it isn't my car.

Edit: I just realized in your post you mentioned that it was only the late 4th Gens.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm with Tag on this one. Your mention of condensation in the headlights is new to me.

I'm not doubting that you've seen this, it's just my thought that the one(s) you've seen are the exception.

My guess as to the cause might be in the casing?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
the majority of the late 4th gen camaro's I've seen, have serious condensation issues in the headlights..(that or the plastic is bad quality and deteriorates over time?) i'm not exactly sure..
but..what is the reason for this exactly?, I notice it in a lot of the old 3rd gens as well, not sure about the early 4th gen - just the late 4th gen.
the main reason I notice it, is because they're so big, another reason- headlights are something I really tend to look at, at night, to determine what kind've car it is zooming up behind me, and when the headlight windows are of bad quality on the 4th gen, I usually cannot tell what kind've car it is until its right up next to me. when they are clean/clear I can usually pinpoint almost exactly its either a 4th gen, or a concorde.
due to the circular view of them, and the light slightly bleeding over into the brights section of the headlights. (oddly enough i've never seen a 4th gen with its brights on)

is there a quick fix for this issue?..or is it something that happens so often/costs so much to fix - that its not worth it?.
I personally would want those things to be crystal clear - i hate driving with foged up headlights - my '98 taurus' lights are starting to get that way, but its because the quality of the headlight shield thingy is starting to go bad.
probably because I've had to use the brights so often the past year & a half.
I honestly don't know.
but the reason I ask this - is because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 5th gen along down the line...so I've considered the 4th gen.
gfx would of course be a must.
but yeah - any information regarding the headlights would be awesome
Its not condensation.....its the plastic itself losing its clarity. Its common on plastic headlights for some reason on all makes and models, not just the 4th gen camaro. All thats required to make it clear again is to polish it. Replacing them is expensive. I've had the problem on Volvos, Mercedes and my 4th gen Camaro and I've also seen it on Mustangs,F150s and Tauruses. I don't know if its caused by UV rays or what. If thats what is causing it then you may be able to spray some clear coat(same as over the paint) over them either before they fog up or after repolishing them and it should prevent it. It only happens on headlight housings that are plastic. The cars that still use the glass sealed beams don't have this problem. If they fog up its because a rock has chipped the glass and moisture has gotten inside.In that case it IS condensation.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Ottenbacher2

Drives: 2000 Camaro
This website gives the reason they fog up an how to get rid of it.

http://www.janvil.com/headlight_faqs...nses_oxidize__
Ottenbacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

thanks for the info
glad to know it doesn't cost an arm & a leg to fix.
I'm willing to bet some of the other members out of california have noticed this issue.
I'm primarily referring to just everyday average people who drive their camaro to/from work, or skewl, and just keep it maintained on a regular basis, not someone whos like hardcore gotta polish this baby up.
so for people like that, it probably doesn't even happen to them.
and having recently seen a really freakin BRIGHT red camaro with crystal clear headlights, thats most likely true.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
"It's......condensation."
http://sporko.com/videos/312/Family_Guy:_Condensation
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
it was a dark blue 4th gen, one pic was a birds eye view of it, from the top of the front windshield, to the end of the hood.
the other pic was the camaro at an angle, with the wheel turned, turn signal light on, and a tree right behind it, also had a blue trash can on the left of the picture.
so if you come across those perhaps you'll see what I mean.
if flip through that thread more but that super sucks on dial up.
lol
the headlights have a sorta - faded, from top to bottom - foggyness to them when they get this way.
I'm wondering why thats so dang common/why it happens so often.
I've specifically seen it in Chevrolet cars/trucks. (and trust me I've looked at a lotta cars headlights to see if it happens to all cars or whats going on)
That's My car. There's no condensation, is "fogged" from road grit and bad oxidation of the plastic.The only reason I can see them getting condensation in them is if the seals around the bulbs are deteriorated or missing completely.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
That's My car. There's no condensation, is "fogged" from road grit and bad oxidation of the plastic.The only reason I can see them getting condensation in them is if the seals around the bulbs are deteriorated or missing completely.
Sooo..what, if anything, are you going to do to resolve the issue?, if infact you plan to do something...?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
buy new projector headlights for a more aggressive look something like these...

or this...
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote