Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 05-15-2017, 12:31 AM   #1
Scottrobert

Drives: White 2013 automatic Camaro 1ss
I need help protecting my camaro

I need the opinions of those who know more on this then I do.. 6 nights ago at 230Am I had 3 men attempt to steal my 2013 L99 SS1 from my driveway. I'm told by an alarm shop that whoever had done this was a professional as few know of the techniques used.. i was told a screwdriver had been used to defeat the factory alarm when they destroyed the door lock mechanism. Apparently they also tried to remove one of my paddle shifters. Through out this process they where interrupted by my neighbor finding them and they got scared off,they returned at least once to try to get the car again. I am told they will most likely be back to finish what they started.. I don't know if I just got lucky because my neighbor stumbled on them keeping it from being taken or if they hit a snag in their attempt due to a few different things I can think of from gm programming to even the fact I have remote start (with its ability to turn on but not shift in gear without a key). All I know is at this point I'm willing to do whatever I can to protect my car as it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I consider it priceless honestly. At this point i will behaving a viper alarm system installed in two days, I have to get my car locks fixed as well as that alarm so I'll have two active alarms, I also bought a "club", I now have surveillance cameras watching my car that notify me of movement around my car and have night vision and two way audio.

I would like to do, but not 100% sure I can with this car because of the ecm, is add a battery kill switch as well as one for the fuel pump and or starter. As well as a obd lock.
Will this be doable? Where can I find what I need to make this happen?

Is there any better methods I can do that I just haven't heard of?

I haven't been able to even find anything online mentioning this happening so I'm not to sure what to do..
Attached Images

Last edited by Scottrobert; 05-15-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Scottrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
The Bay Area is the epicenter of Camaro thefts. There are quite a few threads on here. Try the search feature to try and find them. A quality shop that installs alarms would be a good place to start. People have various opinions and a pro would know. Many of the thieves out there are pros and know exactly how to get past the factory alarms in minutes. Good luck and I hope they move on and get caught!
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I see garages in the background... why can't you put it in the garage?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Welcome to the forums ScottRobert. There is some good news for you, some of our NorCal Camaros (I'm originally from the bay area, but live in El Dorado Hills currently) members are developing a bracket that covers the ECM and makes it exponentially harder to swap it out with a hacked one. A couple of the guys also are very willing to help install a kill switch on our cars (Miguel from Napa has done at least two already).

There are plenty of options to help protect your baby, and I'm very happy to hear that you still have it after not one, but two attempts. Obviously the best option is to put it in your garage, but I will point the club in the direction of this thread and let some of the guys who have actually taken the measures can chime in. Feel free to pm me if you need more info.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I am fortunate to live in a low crime area with a garage, but there is a system I've read if on here with a plug that you click in to drive the car. It goes in below your steering wheel. It has a bundle of 30-some wires, most dummies but one or two that stop it from starting. It is hooked up different for each car. If I needed one, it is the way I'd go. Someone here will chime in, I'm sure. Good luck. People suck.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
migy89

Drives: 69 Z/28 Camaro, 2013 Camaro SS
Hey, find me on Facebook messenger or talk to @mindz to get a hold of me, mindz and I are good friends and I have a simple solution to stop the thieves from getting out cars. I'll check back on here tomorrow night since I'm not very active. Good luck with keeping her safe!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
migy89

Drives: 69 Z/28 Camaro, 2013 Camaro SS
Just read the full post lol I know how to do a very easy but effective kill switch. Details can be given over the phone if it gets that far.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
THIS!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I have used these on previous cars.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Master...FQGSaQodIgAEJw
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
THIS!!!!!!
Too bad he is in Commiefornia, can't have on the of those.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
THIS!!!!!!
What will you shoot at? The empty spot where your car used to be? So far, I haven't read about any owners catching these thieves in the act. They either come out to an empty spot where their car used to be or watch it happen several hours after the fact on surveillance video.

I'm using about $10 in Radio Shack parts to keep my Camaro from being driven away. So far in the two years I've had my home made theft prevention in place, no one I've handed my keys to has been able to start my car.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
People need to learn to take a frakin joke!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
People need to learn to take a frakin joke!
You may of been joking, but a lot of people say the same exact thing and are very serious. They seriously think that owning a gun or guns with keep their car from quietly getting stolen in the middle of the night while they sleep.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
1) Get out of sh*tty Commifurnia
2) Learn Jiu-Jitsu
3) Pack Heat on yourself and in your SS
4) Invest / Build a GARAGE
5) Video Cameras
6) Construct a Gate or Wall around your house.
Liquidity is offline   Reply With Quote