Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Constant 12v power source?

I have tried about 10 different searches, and I can not seem to find the answer... so forgive me if this has been covered already.

I would like to run a constant 12v power line to my power outlet above the USB port..... I often need to leave my cellphone recharging in the car.

I assume there must be a constant 12v to the radio, but I figure someone has already found an easy spot to tap this, since I am sure I am not the first person to want this.

Any help or direction to the DIY for this would be GREATLY appreciated!
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Try the cigarette lighter. Use a test light and probe the hot wire. If you get light, you found a constant 12V source. Just be careful... constant power sources are always on a timed switch, such as your cigarette lighter. Batteries don't like constant drains while the alternator isn't turning.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Both of them are not on all the time. I think it is designed so you don't drain your battery.

This is a crazy idea... However, the main battery power cable is only inches from your power outlets. That will be hot all the time.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
13lade

My Nissan Armada and my Chevy Express conversion van both have a constant 12v power outlet/cig lighter....both very convenient for cellphone chargers. I would love to have the same for the Camaro.

Skuttduck... you say "the main battery power cable is only inches from your power outlets". Can you give me more details? Is this is the same thing as the BIG "+" Cable under the hood? If so, then I dont think I want to mess with that
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
There are multiple power lines above the glove box that are always on - I tapped into 1 for my glove box light. There are red wires and red with white stripes wires of various thickness above there. Not sure if they run across under the dash on the driver's side, but I bet they would.

Very easy to get to - remove the glove box (no tools needed), remove the cover above the top of the glove box (4 or 5 screws) and there's a huge gathering of wires there. Pick your wire

Not hard to run into the center console...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
My Nissan Armada and my Chevy Express conversion van both have a constant 12v power outlet/cig lighter....both very convenient for cellphone chargers. I would love to have the same for the Camaro.

Skuttduck... you say "the main battery power cable is only inches from your power outlets". Can you give me more details? Is this is the same thing as the BIG "+" Cable under the hood? If so, then I dont think I want to mess with that

Yes the big positive cable runs inches from your power outlets. It would work if you tapped it. I however think that would be a serious warranty void if you did that.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
13lade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Yes the big positive cable runs inches from your power outlets. It would work if you tapped it. I however think that would be a serious warranty void if you did that.
Good point. Not an option then.... Have you any idea on how hard it would be to get to /tap the constant power to the Radio?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
Good point. Not an option then.... Have you any idea on how hard it would be to get to /tap the constant power to the Radio?
I've not pulled the radio out yet. Been in and out of the doors, and behind the glove box. Like what Michael_JS said, it's pretty easy to get to the wires behind the glove box, and run it to your power outlet.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
13lade

Glad you mentioned Michael_JS post.... I clicked on the 'last reply' button and it took me right to yours. Didnt even see his. Thanks to both of you for the reply and assistance!

Tags
constant 12v power