Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Here is a picture of the heat exchanger/cooler that mounts behind the bumper cover:

This is where the heat is removed from the intercooler fluid.

Last edited by SC2150; 09-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So this isn't an auxiliary cooler, it completely replaces the current system's intercooler?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
So this isn't an auxiliary cooler, it completely replaces the current system's intercooler?
No. It integrates with it and cools the intercooler coolant. On the average intercooler you have the intercooler in the grill, and the coolant in that system circulates to the heat exchanger under the supercharger. This takes that coolant and chills it down drastically from what the ambient air can.

There is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. So ask anything you need to understand it all.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
Neat idea, so you will be able to turn the "super chiller" part on or off right?

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Okay - let me see if I can understand this:

You are interrupting the flow of the SC intercooler coolant by running it through this chiller. You are tapping into the A/C line to run refrigerent through the chiller to cool the coolant. So, the individual will use the chiller in addition to the SC intercooler's heat exchanger? A person can also control the chiller circuit independently of the passgenger compartment climate control and either split the refrigerent between the two or solely run all the refrigerent through the chiller? I see three ports of what looks to be about the same size on the chiller and one smaller one. Is the smaller one for the refrigerent line and the two others for the coolant? I don't quite understand what the forth port is for... Also - is there a return line for the refrigerent, too?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

You are interrupting the flow of the SC intercooler coolant by running it through this chiller. You are tapping into the A/C line to run refrigerent through the chiller to cool the coolant. So, the individual will use the chiller in addition to the SC intercooler's heat exchanger? A person can also control the chiller circuit independently of the passgenger compartment climate control and either split the refrigerent between the two or solely run all the refrigerent through the chiller? I see three ports of what looks to be about the same size on the chiller and one smaller one. Is the smaller one for the refrigerent line and the two others for the coolant? I don't quite understand what the forth port is for... Also - is there a return line for the refrigerent, too?
Wow, great questions.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
Neat idea, so you will be able to turn the "super chiller" part on or off right?

Danny
Correct. The switches are 2 small micro toggels, like an electric guitar has.

Quote:

You got it! Excellent understanding. Yes there is a return line, and an additional orfice tube. Just as a rear AC would be in a van or a SUV, but the chiller has two seperate chambers where the freon & the coolant pass each other providing maximum heat transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Wow, great questions.
Absolutely. These are the question I want to see in this discussion.

There has been a ton of R&D put into this and the working units are doing great after app 6 months in use on a few test LS powered cars.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
How long will the cooler temperatures last at WOT after the compressor disengages?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
I would assume that when you turn it off it wouldn't last very long, just like your a/c does. I bet your wondering if it will last long enough for a run without the drag of the a/c compressor, right?

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #24
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
How long will the cooler temperatures last at WOT after the compressor disengages?
Probably for only a minute or two, but at the dragstrip you will only need it at WOT for 11-12 seconds or less, and for a roll-on race say 30 seconds? After that you have the same cooling as it would w/out the unit.
As for a road-racer, the question would be "will the drag on the engine from the AC compressor wired to be engaged at WOT as well outweigh the benifits of the cooler air charge temps?" Thats an unknown at this time, but the GTO running this for the past 6 months or so is street & dragstrip driven with excellent results.

Good question though!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
Stark

Drives: fair to good
This looks VERY nice.....
Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Correct. The switches are 2 small micro toggels, like an electric guitar has.

You got it! Excellent understanding. Yes there is a return line, and an additional orfice tube. Just as a rear AC would be in a van or a SUV, but the chiller has two seperate chambers where the freon & the coolant pass each other providing maximum heat transfer.

Absolutely. These are the question I want to see in this discussion.

There has been a ton of R&D put into this and the working units are doing great after app 6 months in use on a few test LS powered cars.
You mentioned no condensation to drip onto the track. There is no condensation from the chiller's interface between the coolant and refrigerent then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Probably for only a minute or two, but at the dragstrip you will only need it at WOT for 11-12 seconds or less, and for a roll-on race say 30 seconds? After that you have the same cooling as it would w/out the unit.
As for a road-racer, the question would be "will the drag on the engine from the AC compressor wired to be engaged at WOT as well outweigh the benifits of the cooler air charge temps?" Thats an unknown at this time, but the GTO running this for the past 6 months or so is street & dragstrip driven with excellent results.

Good question though!
Are or will you guys be verifying this?

Thanks for all the details

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
vertc6

Drives: vette
Quote:
I swear I read about something like this when they were first talking about a new generation Lightning or something...

I don't think I'd mind if I had to sacrifice some A/C performance for better engine performance, but not knowing much about A/C, I imagine if there is a bigger draw from cooling the charge, that a larger condensor would require more refrigerant and that would make up for the draw All I know, is this sounds pretty cool
You have, its called the killer chiller. I have been talking to the owner Joe for the last few months for developing one for GM cars. I believe one of the GTO guys did one this year. The Ford guys have been using it with great success, as low as 45 degree water temps with the outside temp around 75. You can see some videos on youtube, awesome results! When I install my Eforce this winter it will be the first thing I put on, and believe it or not if you run a H/E it actually counteracts the KC because it will warm up the water on a hot day. I am going to run a 3 gallon insulated tank straight to the KC and insulate the lines to keep it as cool as possible.

I am very currious to see how your chiller performs, I like the idea of the shut off to the evap and just freon to the chiller. The only negative I see is that the unit is not insulated like the KC is, do you plan to insulate it?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertc6 View Post
You have, its called the killer chiller. I have been talking to the owner Joe for the last few months for developing one for GM cars. I believe one of the GTO guys did one this year. The Ford guys have been using it with great success, as low as 45 degree water temps with the outside temp around 75. You can see some videos on youtube, awesome results! When I install my Eforce this winter it will be the first thing I put on, and believe it or not if you run a H/E it actually counteracts the KC because it will warm up the water on a hot day. I am going to run a 3 gallon insulated tank straight to the KC and insulate the lines to keep it as cool as possible.

I am very currious to see how your chiller performs, I like the idea of the shut off to the evap and just freon to the chiller. The only negative I see is that the unit is not insulated like the KC is, do you plan to insulate it?
If you ran the chiller AFTER the heat exchanger, you get the best of both worlds.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.

Closed Thread