Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
For anyone who had run speaker wires through the door into the car, HOW?

I dont want to use any of the factory speaker lines for the 3 way door speakers i am putting in.

I took the Molex plug out and there are some pins not used but i dont think drilling them out would make it possible to snake 6 wires through.

What have some of you guys done? My other option is to get once of those billet/braided door jamb looms the hot rod guys use but i dont think it will look factory so I am not going that route yet.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
you can put s small slice in the rubber boot by the door and by the body... run the wires (make sure you cover them in either split loom or expandable tubing <preferred> and the zip tie it to the factory harnes neatly.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
you can put s small slice in the rubber boot by the door and by the body... run the wires (make sure you cover them in either split loom or expandable tubing <preferred> and the zip tie it to the factory harnes neatly.
IAS would you happen to have a photo i can see for reference?

I rather use the factory boot than drill holes and run an aftermarket aluminum one which might annoy me since it will look out of place.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
55Designs

If I really want an easy way I guess I can use the factory speaker wires and since i am not using the door LED light I can take those two wires, trace them to the inside kickpanel and use those for the 3rd speaker in the door. Just a thought I wont get to this part of the install til Saturday or Sunday.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
I will see if I have some pics of one of the cars we did. the factory wires could be used depending on the amoun tof power you are running. I would not use the LED wires as IIRC they are not very large gauge wiring.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
RBC2010SSRS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 6spd. 402 rwhp
Pop the panels. find wher there is already wire runing, use some man ingenuity to feed your wire, OR make your own hole with protective shroud and plastics where you might have drilled to avoid the wire rubbing and causing a short. As for the cab pull back the carpets, find where your wires they are coming into the cab and feed them to the amp. Easy for and installer, or Me. DFW area. Hollar if you need help
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
We drilled small holes in my door but you would never be able to notice that it wasnt a factory job.. i'll try to post some pics in the daylight tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
We drilled small holes in my door but you would never be able to notice that it wasnt a factory job.. i'll try to post some pics in the daylight tomorrow.
Do so Id like to take a look.

I honestly think i will use the OEM wires and trace them out in the kick panel and solder our nice wire to run back to the amp. I am not sure i want to drill holes into the jamb even though i cut my interior up in pieces so far. I cant get over how much plastic I cut, ground and modified for my install.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Can't wait to see your car when its finished
Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
55Designs

I was at this stage today and so far no luck. I remove the two piece molex plug, drilled out the areas for the pins not used there are 4 of them on each piece.

The section held inside the door is a joke its the other side with the rubber grommet thats a bitch. For some reason when I put the two halves together its piercing the wires.

I tried the following gauge wires 22, 26 and both get pierced.

I drilled through the purple clip as well but this just sucks.

I am so tired now I am going to sleep on a solution. I think I can dremel a small hole in the plastic, heat shrink and snake the wires up into the rubber then it will be a nice fit.

I am such a perfectionist one my builds I just wont take the easy route out. For anyone who has done this already please post up some photos and tips to share.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
55Designs

Finally got one side done. This was the biggest pain in the ballz ever.

I ended up removing most of the pins and wires from the harness, both sides and relocating some of them. I eliminated the wires for the door speaker then I had much more room. I tediously dremeled the two holes side by side and elongated them as a notch all the way through. my 6 wires slide through easily once I sprayed them with silicone.

Once you conquer the molex sliding the wires up and through the kick panel is easy. I taped them all to an nylon tube and snaked them up and in. The ribbed ribber on the grommet does make it harder since the snake gets caught up on the ribs but with patience it will go smoothly.

Lets just say one side is done and my hands are in so much pain i cant feel my finger tips.

Off to the other side soon once one of my guys arrives at the shop to lend a helping hand.

I should have 99% of my fabrication complete by the end of today then next week we gut and wrap all the panels in new leather.