Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
Box in cabin rather than the trunk

Are there any manufacturers making boxes that fit in the back seata rather than the trunk. For those who have subs in the trunk, how bad is the rattle and sound quality? Wouldn't it sound better if the sub was in the cabin instead of way in the back in the trunk?
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I don't believe there an interior sub box. It's not a problem having the sub in the trunk. For an SQ sysytem you want to bring all of the bass into the car. If you trap all the bass in your trunk it will rattle like crazy. To get the bass out and keep your back seat up you would need to get rid of the rear 6x9's so that most of your bass would port out of the trunk hence giving you alot less rattle and better SQ. I would and will be soon installing 2 8" subs in replacement of the 6x9's .
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
In a non-hatchback style car body, having the subs in the cabin actually sounds worse from the front seats than having the subs in the trunk. The rattle you speak of is always due to a lack of sound dampening material placed under the carpeting and on the rear trunk lid, or from improperly secured license plates...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Ok..bass cannot get trapped in the trunk. The waves are simply too big, and bass, due to it's size, is omnidirectional. While one might lose a bit of overall output due to the seatback/rear dash in the way, in all honesty, I doubt you'll be able to tell. There is quite honestly no sound quality difference your ear will pick up from subs in the trunk to subs in the back seat.

Yes, your trunk might rattle if you don't deaden it. You, more then likely, will not hear that inside the cabin. That will not affect SQ inside the car. Might affect output on a meter, but nothing your ear will pickup.

Some of the loudest trunk cars, well, all the loudest ones I know of, have the sub facing into the rear of the trunk, with the box against the back seat. It allows the wave to develop. The loudest, and one of the best sounding too, trunk car I ever built had the subs facing into the corners of the trunk with the ports, and side loading. The enclosure took up all the rest of the trunk. This was two Solo X 10s in a Nissan Maxima, car was a 152db legal car off 4000wrms. That is until they ran a stop sign while getting high.

Anyway, long story short, don't sweat the small stuff. Box in cabin isn't going to be much different then box in trunk. Just make sure the enclosure is of the right size for that particular sub/power combo, and you'll be happy.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

And if you're trying to build a system for SPL or SQL competitions, I highly suggest you reconsider the use of a Camaro
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I'll tell ya i've hushmatted everything to its maximum and i still have a rattle where the trunk lid is close to the glass.. so much pressure it still rattles..The guys are going to see what they can do to fix the problem. when its hot enough outside you dont notice it because i guess the rubber surround is keeping it in check. the only other rattle i have in the whole system is my rearview mirror.. not much you can do there except hold it when you're showing off! ;-)
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
IGOTGAME816

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
And if you're trying to build a system for SPL or SQL competitions, I highly suggest you reconsider the use of a Camaro
These DD's and smashing tho

IGOTGAME816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
seddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
I'll tell ya i've hushmatted everything to its maximum and i still have a rattle where the trunk lid is close to the glass.. so much pressure it still rattles..The guys are going to see what they can do to fix the problem. when its hot enough outside you dont notice it because i guess the rubber surround is keeping it in check. the only other rattle i have in the whole system is my rearview mirror.. not much you can do there except hold it when you're showing off! ;-)
I had 1 12 JL w7 in my infiniti G 35 sedan rear firing sub no dynamat on the floor or sides of the trunk just on the rear shelf. You get rattle because there is no place for the air to escape. In my G35 it had an 8"sub in the rear shelf I removed it so that the all airwaves now have a place to go.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
seddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Ok..bass cannot get trapped in the trunk. The waves are simply too big, and bass, due to it's size, is omnidirectional. While one might lose a bit of overall output due to the seatback/rear dash in the way, in all honesty, I doubt you'll be able to tell. There is quite honestly no sound quality difference your ear will pick up from subs in the trunk to subs in the back seat.

Yes, your trunk might rattle if you don't deaden it. You, more then likely, will not hear that inside the cabin. That will not affect SQ inside the car. Might affect output on a meter, but nothing your ear will pickup.

Some of the loudest trunk cars, well, all the loudest ones I know of, have the sub facing into the rear of the trunk, with the box against the back seat. It allows the wave to develop. The loudest, and one of the best sounding too, trunk car I ever built had the subs facing into the corners of the trunk with the ports, and side loading. The enclosure took up all the rest of the trunk. This was two Solo X 10s in a Nissan Maxima, car was a 152db legal car off 4000wrms. That is until they ran a stop sign while getting high.

Anyway, long story short, don't sweat the small stuff. Box in cabin isn't going to be much different then box in trunk. Just make sure the enclosure is of the right size for that particular sub/power combo, and you'll be happy.

I believe that no matter how much dynamat or dound deadening material you use you will get rattle. The rattle is caused by airwaves trapped inthe trunk hence trying to let it escape is your best bet to get rid of the rattle hence removing the rear 6x9'x in the camaro.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME816 View Post
These DD's and smashing tho

This just proves my point actually. Look at how much the roof and window is flexing because of the pressure. A good SPL vehicle doesn't have body panels that flex. The flexing actually hurts your SPL. If he closed his windows and sunroof I bet he'd break something...

And SQL, well, if you're sitting inside that car, I seriously doubt you can tell one frequency from another. It's just rediculously loud
Old 05-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
IGOTGAME816

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
This just proves my point actually. Look at how much the roof and window is flexing because of the pressure. A good SPL vehicle doesn't have body panels that flex. The flexing actually hurts your SPL. If he closed his windows and sunroof I bet he'd break something...

And SQL, well, if you're sitting inside that car, I seriously doubt you can tell one frequency from another. It's just rediculously loud
Yeah, I didnt really mean to disregard your point. I got off topic quote'n you. I'm sure most can be more technical that me on this subject. I am sure this dude isn't trying to win any SPL/SQ comps (hell i dont know really). Instead, from watching that video, you definitely can get by having a box in the trunk without worrying about bass getting to the cabin and rattle management. I didn't see or hear anything rattling in his videos, but at a second look I couldnt tell cause that shit was so loud.

I run 10's, slot ported, rear facing, Just need another layer of mat on trunk lid and work around the edges---and something rattling below the lil window of the driver side. Hifonics/Kicker FTW!!!
IGOTGAME816 is offline   Reply With Quote