Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
basegrl67

Drives: 2011 Silver Metallic SS
2011 Chevy Camaro SS not compatible to all garage doors.

I have tried numerous times to program my new Camaro garage door opener to my garage. It won't work, tried everything. I do not have my remote that came with the garage, my husband forgot it in the old Camaro when he traded it. Anyway, after getting so frustrated, etc I read the manual, called my garage door people and they said the older garage doors are not compatible to certain newer cars. Great..... So they told me what to look for. They said in your car when you look at the light that comes on when you go to erase codes is it green or amber in color. The Amber color ones are not compatible.... great mines Amber. So here I"m stuck everytime I want to pull in my garage, I have to get out put my code into the keypad on side of door and get back in my car to drive it in. Or, if someone is home, call them and tell them to open the door!!!!!! What an inconvenience. We have to buy new remotes for our garage door now so we can get in and out. Yes, its partially our issue because the garage door opener was left in other car, but why does it have to be of such high technology it won't work with a 10 year old garage door motor...... Wanted to post so if anyone else may have an older garage door and or doesn't have the regular remotes, if your SS has the Amber color light, its not going to program.... :(
basegrl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
My45thAnniversaryCamaro

Drives: 45th Anniversary
I have a 2012 and our garage door is 9 years old and it doesn't work but I have a clicker in my car for it
My45thAnniversaryCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
EnjoyLife

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Vert bought 9/15/12
I will have to let you know in about 3 weeks when my car is built and delivered. My garage opener has an amber blinking light on it, but our 2008 Santa Fe has an opener built in and it works the garage door.

My garage door opener is 9 or 10 years old.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Guess it depends on the brand of door opener. I have an ancient Stanley one, it works with it.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
basegrl67

Drives: 2011 Silver Metallic SS
It may depend on the brand of door or motor. I just know mine isn't compatible and no remotes... really stinks.
basegrl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Why don't you call the manufacturer of your garage door / opener back and ask them if they sell replacement remotes??? Or check Ebay for an opener for your garage door opener's model.

It most certainly should be possible to procure a replacement remote for a "lost" or damaged one as you're most definitely not the only person who's ever experienced a "lost" or damaged remote.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
basegrl67, I once had to buy a new remote for mine....it cost $30....a whole new opener is only about $150 for a good one.....Just get a new one to update everything.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Buy a new garage door opener... If yours is 10 years old it may not be such a bad idea anyways.

The home link in our cars does not work with out opener because it is some canadian brand that uses different signals that the average door. It's actually nice to know that nobody can use a rolling code universal remote to get into our garage. Now, I don't have it in my camaro so I'm not sure, but I assume it's the same homelink as our other GM cars, which do not worth with our brand of door opener.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
Go to any home improvement store to get a replacement remote...
My doors are 15 yrs old and it works fine. It took a bit of playing, but I got it. There should be a learn button on the opener. Google your brand and model number to get the directions....
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
pvolcko

Drives: 2018 A10 ZL1
You can also get a new tx/rx box which will wire into your existing opener and use modern freqs and coding technology. had to do that for one of mine, worked great.
pvolcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
By and install a new garage door for fairly cheap. Very easy to install since you already have one now as it will probably not even require any more than a easy swap out. Less than $200

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
it's not the car, it's your garage door. I think if you google search it you will find that many brands and/or models are not compatible with home link in any brand of car.

my house was built in jan 12 and has a brand new garage door opener. not compatible with home link. sweet.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
And I'm so sorry you have to get out of your car to open the garage door......MY GOD, what is this world coming to!!?? Manual labor should be outlawed!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #14
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
And I'm so sorry you have to get out of your car to open the garage door......MY GOD, what is this world coming to!!?? Manual labor should be outlawed!
Poor guy..one someone please get him a universal clicker.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote