Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Random Orbital Question.

I've said in the past that I do not want to get into hardcore detailing... but I have a birthday coming up and may treat myself to a full out detailing kit costing over $150 or so.

Now here's some big questions about a buffer.

Does it save you time? Does it yield better results than doing by hand. I'm not lazy, I don't mind buffing by hand.

I have a feeling Junkman may wanna answer this last one, but you're all skilled detailers so I ask in open forum.

Why is there such emphasis on the Porter Cable brand? It's just another random orbital buffer, right? There are other random random orbital buffers out there costing much less.

Much as I want to buy a kit from Adam's (and probably still will) I can't help but see some of the kits at Griot's Garage that include their own orbital buffer, waxes and polishes for much less $$$. I like Adam's but, I think we all agree that Griot's is also professional grade. It seems in this instance when you are considering a buffer to cost less.

Do you have any thoughts here? Should I buy the buffer from home depot and worry about the polishes from these specialty companies?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I can't knock Griot's line 'cause I've never used it. However, the Porter Cable (PC) is what Junkman uses and Adam's carries. That's the line I went with, so my skills were honed using their techniques.

The PC is a very very very dependable machine that is very SAFE for your vehicle's finish. Therefore it is a favorite among a lot of detailers and hobbiests.

I've just began using a Flex as well as another step to get better at this. I've yet to use a rotary polisher.

The key to this type of detailing is time and patience! I won't say you can't get the same results by hand, but I will say that the time you spend doing it by hand will quadruple the time it takes with a PC. You've got to love doing this or you'll rush the job, and disappointment will follow.

Good luck with decision and happy, soon to be, birthday!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Oh wow, so a PC will save time? Ok.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
So the PC is not orbital?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
So the PC is not orbital?
The pc is a random orbital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
The pc is a random orbital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
The Griots 6" random orbital buffer blows the Porter Cable away...much more powerful and just as safe...and cheaper (it includes a backing plate),,,and it has a life time warranty. You simply cannot beat that for an entry level machine. It takes the same pads that fit the PC.

The PC is over rated in my view...it struggles with 6.5" pads when dealing with really bad paint correction. (use the 5.5" for better results). Its OK on paint that is not in bad shape. I like best for just putting on finishing wax or sealant...but for serious work when I'm in a hurry, the PC is the last machine I'd use.