Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Hmm I am looking to do occassional autocross/road track runs but not that often. If I drop via aftermarket (most here are around 1 and 1.25) would I NEED to get the rear camber aftermarket bolts? Or could I get by without them as we won't be on the drag.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
MasterZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I just dropped mine using the EB pro kit.... dropped it about an inch..

noticed alot of negative camber in the front after the drop, took it to a local alignment shop and they adjusted it all out without having to purchase any sort of cam kit... charged me $70 for the alignment and took about 45 mins.....
Old 05-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #17
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Hmm I am looking to do occassional autocross/road track runs but not that often. If I drop via aftermarket (most here are around 1 and 1.25) would I NEED to get the rear camber aftermarket bolts? Or could I get by without them as we won't be on the drag.
It depends on how accurate you want to be and if you want to maximize on your suspension drop.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Hi Synergy SATX,

No you do not need any extra parts for a 1"-1.25" drop to be successfully aligned and optimized. We have our alignment guide on our website to show you what is capable for what application of your Camaro's use. Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any questions! Thanks for your time.

Camaro Alignment Guide
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
Info@PeddersUSA.com

We respectfully disagree with our friends from Pfadt. We have seen 1 to 1.5 inch drops that you cannot get to the specs Pfadt has posted for rear cambers. Plus if you set your front cambers to -1.0 and your rears to -.5, having this ratio does an outstanding job of reducing understeer and improving the overall handling of the Camaro.

Now do you have to have them? No. But Pedders is all about maximizing your suspension upgrade experience to the max, whether you are doing simple drop coils to some bushings, to a all out Pedders Track System. We offer it to you so you can make the choice if you want to optimize your experience.

Pedders has done a very serious amount of testings on the Camaro up to and including OE SS's with just aligment settings and one where we optimized the alignment with just our rear Pedders alignment kit. We did this with Hunter Engineering present, the customer, and a bunch of our dealers. All agreed there was a sizeable difference between when stock, and our modified alignment using just our rear assemblies.

Maybe you are someone who cannot tell the difference between Cold Duck and Dom Perignon Champaigne. Many do not have the taste for it and it is just not your thing. And that is OK and perfectly norma. Just like cars. If you are looking at a minimalist approach, and just want to get the alignment within specs, then maybe the Pedders eccentrics are not for you. AND THAT IS OK ALSO! But if you are someone who likes to take full advantage of every option you can get for the dollar you want to spend, then the eccentrics are for you!.

Who out there will dispute adding 1 to 1.25 degrees additional positive caster is a negative? It makes such a great difference in reduction of understeer, steering feel, and improvements to center line steering with absolutely O(ZERO) negatives of any kind and all positives; 100% positives.

So the choices are really the consumers and whatever you choose, I am sure it will be the best for you!

Enjoy and drive save out there!

All of the suspension suppliers here are all passionate about what we all do and will always have differences in opinions and such. But that is a good thing. Because out of having respectful discussions like this, the consumers benefit significantly. At Pedders, we share great respect for Pfadt. But have differences in opinions, which again, is normal and OK.

thanks to all

mike
dms
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Hmm thanks for the thoughts. Saving up my loot and will do my homework.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I had the Pfadt Sport Suspension+ installed in my car (the drop is between 1 and 1.25") and then had a shop do a 4-wheel alignment with no need for a kit. The alignment is just fine.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I had the Pfadt Sport Suspension+ installed in my car (the drop is between 1 and 1.25") and then had a shop do a 4-wheel alignment with no need for a kit. The alignment is just fine.
Thanks for posting your experience Darth_Emma! We do not know how anyone else does alignments, but we never have a problem getting them into our recommended values with our 1.25" Drop Springs installed. Good to hear.

Plus, for our more aggressive alignment specs, we state that it requires the use of the Pfadt Camber/Caster plates (shown below). These plates are bolt-on, require no modification to any existing part of your Camaro, and allow you to adjust both camber and caster, to get that perfect match of alignment values you need up front. Take a look and please let us know if anyone has any questions! Thanks.

Thread

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #23
Slammer

Drives: G8 Maloo
On my Bagged VE which has the same platform as the Camaro and G8 I got the rears at 1/2degree camber and the fronts 1/2 a degree camber
The rear upper control arm outer bolt has a elongated hole
I extended it by 2mm and pulled the top of the spindle outwards and did it up
The front I extended the top bolt slot where the adjustment is on the spindle by 1.5mm and that was all that was needed
No cost except your time

On this car the ride height is 100mm behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear measured at the side skirts
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #24
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
On my Bagged VE which has the same platform as the Camaro and G8 I got the rears at 1/2degree camber and the fronts 1/2 a degree camber
The rear upper control arm outer bolt has a elongated hole
I extended it by 2mm and pulled the top of the spindle outwards and did it up
The front I extended the top bolt slot where the adjustment is on the spindle by 1.5mm and that was all that was needed
No cost except your time

On this car the ride height is 100mm behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear measured at the side skirts
Your UTE looks awesome! I wish they brought it to the states.

The Camaro upper inner control arm bolt is not slotted in any way with the Camaro. I cannot discuss it right now, but there are some concerns with this bolt and the contacting to the joint, at least on the G8 when driven very hard.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterZ View Post
I just dropped mine using the EB pro kit.... dropped it about an inch..

noticed alot of negative camber in the front after the drop, took it to a local alignment shop and they adjusted it all out without having to purchase any sort of cam kit... charged me $70 for the alignment and took about 45 mins.....
Front camber is not a issue unless you want to be over -2.0 degrees. Then you can slot the clevis mount and get to -2.5

Rear camber is what Pedders will change beyond specs that the OE eccentrics cannot get it to.

Now just because your Camaro is within factory specs, does not make it right or opportune. Here azre some specs that would be within GM specs

Front
Camber left at left -1.55, right at -.75
caster left at 6.6, right at 5.85
Toe .4 left, right .0 left

Rear
Camber -1.15 left, right -.35
Toe left .0 right .4

Now this FE3 alignment meets the GM specs.

You would be crazy to set your Camaro up to these specs.

mike
dms
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #26
Slammer

Quote:
The Camaro upper inner control arm bolt is not slotted in any way with the Camaro. I cannot discuss it right now, but there are some concerns with this bolt and the contacting to the joint, at least on the G8 when driven very hard.
The slot I am referring to on the rear is the outer bolt on the upper control arm
Is that what you are referring to?
I had the check the end float?travel of the CV shafts to make sure they didn't bind but it had more than enough
I ended up moving the bottom inner adjustment to the middle of its adjustment so it was closer to the position it was sitting in at stock height

I am sure the Camaro would be fine to slot this out

On the driving hard problem I have found the stock wheel bearings on the rear won't handle big side loads
Timken is bringing out a better quality as the factory ones are cheap Chinese rubbish
The Timken ones will be resdy soon and are worth fiting as my factory one on hard cornering start to bind

My Ute is coming to the US next year I believe as a Chevy
I saw some spy pics somewhere
Old 05-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #27
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
The slot I am referring to on the rear is the outer bolt on the upper control arm
Is that what you are referring to?
I had the check the end float?travel of the CV shafts to make sure they didn't bind but it had more than enough
I ended up moving the bottom inner adjustment to the middle of its adjustment so it was closer to the position it was sitting in at stock height

I am sure the Camaro would be fine to slot this out

On the driving hard problem I have found the stock wheel bearings on the rear won't handle big side loads
Timken is bringing out a better quality as the factory ones are cheap Chinese rubbish
The Timken ones will be resdy soon and are worth fiting as my factory one on hard cornering start to bind

My Ute is coming to the US next year I believe as a Chevy
I saw some spy pics somewhere
You need to be careful slotting the rear upper control arm bracket. This can in fact induce rear bump steer. This has been documented from Holden. But in our case, I think you will have very little suspension travel, so maybe that will not be much of a issue.

mike
dms
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #28
Slammer

Actually the bump steer was there before I did this and is better now with the setting I have
It still retains full travel

They have bump steer from factory when you lower them