Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Ashn_G_1LE

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Collision Center

Hey guys! So I just wanted your guys quick opinion and help! So just a little back story, my pops started a collision center business about 15 years ago. Thank God we have been blessed and things have been great so far. Pops is looking to hand the torch over soon and I will be starting to take over soon. I’m a 24 year old ready to work his butt off to show pops I can not only continue his great work but grow it as well! We have 3 locations here in SoCal.

I’m looking to start marketing in new ways soon as that was always the business weak point. So my question to you guys is what are you guys looking for when it comes time you are in need of a collision centers services, Camaro related or not!? We offer a wide range of things like custom paint, wheel painting, installing aftermarket parts etc. but mostly stick to collision/insurance as that’s our bread and butter. Also, want to start selling wheels and aftermarket parts as well. But only hesitant because, I mean when I think of buying wheels or parts, a collision center isn’t the first place I think to go....let me know any opinions of what you guys may have, look for as clients, anything! Thank you my Camaro family!!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
The first thing I can think of is Communication. When I had a minor scratch on my front bumper a year and a half ago. I took it to the dealership and they did a great job, but it took them about 3 weeks to do. Never called. When I finally decided to call myself, it had been done for 2 weeks and they said they called. But, I never received a voicemail or anything. So that was strange to me that it seemed they had only reached out once.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
my uncle owns a very successfull auto body shop and from being around him. He has always stayed to his "bread and butter" because of alot of liabilities in the custom world. I know alot of collision centers stay away from doing fiberglass work except for maybe mounting a hood. i would tread lightly with getting into custom work because of alot of liabilities and then also, making the customer happy. if you get into aftermarket parts, you could lose insurance companies that would perfer you as a collision center. Also, aftermarket parts are never 100% guaranteed to work and void warranties. Then you will get some that will want aftermarket parts installed versus the OEM and that another liability with insurance companies. Some food for thought but just my two cents. good luck to furture endeavors
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
What is the name of the collision center?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
If your wanting to build exposure, there's a guy i know up in SoCal that does social media and internet marketing, Spencer Berke With BerkeMarketing. He's a start up and seems to be doing really well, may look him up.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
The first thing I can think of is Communication. When I had a minor scratch on my front bumper a year and a half ago. I took it to the dealership and they did a great job, but it took them about 3 weeks to do. Never called. When I finally decided to call myself, it had been done for 2 weeks and they said they called. But, I never received a voicemail or anything. So that was strange to me that it seemed they had only reached out once.
Agree with Coz. One of the best collision shops I've dealt with was in Tucson, AZ, when my Corvette needed to be completely repainted due to epoxy paint overspray from a construction company (long story). Not only did they have great reviews and a very good reputation, they keep me informed every step of the way and had a website where they posted pictures everyday of their progress from start to finish.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I always ask fellow car guys who they recommend or do they "know" somebody in the business that I need help/work done. It's mostly done by word of mouth.

I would recommend some type of referral program for past customers, like a $100 gift card to the referring person and a $100 credit to the person getting the work done?

If you want to branch out into custom work, come up with a specific business plan and I would keep it separate from your collision business. Completely different name and location. If someone comes in for custom work at your collision center refer them to the other location if needed and explain the difference. You can use the collision centers to test employees for the custom shop.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Today for any business its smart to have social media..... Instgram, snapchat, Facebook, ect. just for more exposure. But even then communication is key.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
My recommendation is hitting up the car shows, being a vendor/sponsor at those shows, maybe sponsoring a trophy, etc. People will ask those guys where they recommend getting body work done. You want to be the first one they mention.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You're probably better off creating a separate entity if you're wanting to branch out from collision.

As others have said communication is important. Nothing beats showing off the quality of your work though. We deal exclusively with fleet but we get referred friends/family of the fleet employees all the time since they see the work we do daily.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote