Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Opinions on Challenger Vs. Camaro exhaust only

I drove a Challenger R/T and a 2010 Mustang GT yesterday, and the one thing I LOVED about the Challenger was the exhaust note, and what I didn't like about the Mustang GT was that the exhaust really was not ballsy enough (there were a couple things I didn't really like/liked a lot about both cars but I won't get into that).

My take on the Chally exhaust: The exhaust was really audible and solid on start up, acceleration, coasting, downshifting, and there's this effect that I loved when you're coasting and drop it into neutral in which the exhaust note has a really solid drop off through the RPM band as opposed to being louder/softer in certain parts of the band. I and my passengers really loved that about the Chally.

My take on the Mustang GT exhaust: "Conservative" is the best word I can use to describe it. I expected a more solid note out of a V8; that does not necessarily mean a louder one. I noticed that as you rev it, it will tend to drown out at some points and then increase at higher RPMS. I also couldn't hear it drop when you drop the car into neutral at a coast. The biggest disappointment was that I tended to focus on a small amount of tranny whine (I feel that's normal for most cars) but that also means the exhaust was not catching your attention.

I have not driven an SS yet, furthermore, most of the Chevy dealerships in my area are being jackasses about test drives. So my question for those of you who have the SS and have at least driven the Chally and Mustang GT, how "conservative" do you think the stock SS exhaust is? Is it ballsy-er than the Mustang? Is it as solid or better than the Chally R/T?

And I did plenty of searches on youtube and this site for the video/sound comparisons and I feel they don't do any car justice at all (too much distortion, clipping, etc.). I could go into a technical explanation of why but that would be annoying lol. I want opinions of people who have experienced them in person.

P.S. I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A FLAME WAR.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Quote:
Road & Track

2010 Mustang GT:

"Interestingly, the intake tract routes into the driver's compartment for a sportier interior sound. A firewall diaphragm keeps everything isolated, but engine noise passes through a hole under the dash just above the dead pedal."
You were probably hearing this.

The 4" tips on the GT500 sound awesome!
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
jmill012

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The Mustang GT will sound the best out of all 3. The SS isn't as loud or deap IMHO
jmill012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
ndnsith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The Challenger has a better sound of the 3 "stock" cars......... The Camaro is quiter than I expected, sounds good when you get on it, but I must admit the Chally sounds louder/deeper. The mustang GT is weak...........

:fighting0040:
ndnsith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Depends On what type of r/t you drove. there is the regular and the classic. Supposedly the Classic has a better exhaust. I do like the stock chally exhausts (on the srt) though you always got to go louder :-)
I've heard the camaro stock and it was lower then what i expected it to be. Considering in past interviews with the concept they talked about how they spent many many days trying to get the right exhaust note and all. Which I'm starting to wonder were those people deaf?
I did get to test drive the new 2010 gt, Never hit with me. I'am digging the interior, And apperantly my did liked it more then me, Enough to give his info for a 2010 gt500.
2009 Hemi Orange Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - 6 speed, Headers, exhaust, Super Charged,SMS Supercharger, 4.10 gears, stage 5 transmission, duel clutch, and the beast under the hood A 440 CI 7.2 LITER HEMI
On order victory Red 2ss RS Camaro, Parts already received ARH Headers, SLP loud Mouth I exhaust, waiting for Vortech SuperCharger.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The Camaro SS is very quiet. I can barely hear it when I start it up. Even when I rev it, its still not loud at all.

A soon as I make up my mind on what to buy, I'll be putting a catback exhaust on my SS.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
I haven't heard all 3 of them in person, but I would say it would be Challenger, Camaro, then Mustang.

But rather than stock sound, look into what the aftermarket has to offer. The Camaro sounds VEEEEERRRYYY nice with some of the aftermarket options out there. Not too sure about the other 2 though. I haven't really looked into those.
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
They're all too quiet
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
jmill012

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
You guys just don't like Mustangs and that is the only way you could say it is the weakest. I have drove all three and at Idle the new 2010 Mustang has the best "rumble".
jmill012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
I've driven S197 Mustangs and I have to say that Ford hit the perfect V8 exhaust note with those cars. In the Hertz Shelby GT I drove, it was so perfect you would almost think you're listening to a soundtrack.

The SS sounds pretty nice with an exhaust from videos, but I have yet to actually hear one in person.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #11
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill012 View Post
You guys just don't like Mustangs and that is the only way you could say it is the weakest. I have drove all three and at Idle the new 2010 Mustang has the best "rumble".

Ive driven the SRT and GT and the GT blows it away. (in exhaust note)

Have no first hand knowledge about the LS3
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
I've not heard anything but my SS and was dissapointed in way it sounds. She sounds better when getting on it. But from older mustangs I have hard time thinking it doesn't have the better sound. But last mustange I rode in was the 5.0. So that was few years ago. & have no opinoin on Dodge for reason never heard one. Only saw 4 in person and 3 of them were on the dodge dealership.
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
I've not heard anything but my SS and was dissapointed in way it sounds. She sounds better when getting on it. But from older mustangs I have hard time thinking it doesn't have the better sound. But last mustange I rode in was the 5.0. So that was few years ago. & have no opinoin on Dodge for reason never heard one. Only saw 4 in person and 3 of them were on the dodge dealership.
You were disappointed in the exhaust sound of the SS?

Luckily there are exhaust kits out the yin yang coming.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I keep watching that SLP video.... it sounds terrific.
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote