Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Last Call

Drives: Silverado
Whipple 2.9 Bypass Valve

I have been having an intermittent issue with the Whipple Bypass valve. It doesn't seem like it wants to open when the engine is hot. The rod is not moving much when stabbing the throttle. My maggie would move a lot. Also, moving it by hand seems tight, I can't remember how tight it was when I installed the new valve a few months ago though.

I only saw one thread from a car done by Haddad a few years ago and the SC had to be changed. I sure hope this is not the issue!

Ideas anyone??
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Last Call

Whipple 2.9 Bypass Valve

Here is short video. It closes once and then stays stuck open.
http://s19.photobucket.com/user/j_po...wvxx2.mp4.html
Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Do you still have the installation instructions for your Whipple? If not, you can download them from Whipple. In either case, it details how to adjust the linkage for he bypass valve if it is having issues. It should not be binding anywhere through its range of motion. Good luck!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Its basically a tolerance issue between the bypass valve blade and the orifice.

Its your call weather you want to fix it your self or bring it up with Whipple.

I took the car down there for them to see, and they insisted it was the actuator and changed it. Of course it fixed it, because everything had cooled down. On the drive home it started doing it again. So i finally tore everything apart and diagnosed it myself. My customer made a big stink with whipple, and they just sent us another unit.
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Last Call

Went for a ride today and it either the adjustment of the actuator or the blade getting caught up somewhere.

Stabbing the throttle will close the valve and make boost as it should. Rolling into it seems to keep the valve open until about 5k rpm's when it finally opens. Boost does not drop, stays around 160 kpa until 6,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Do you still have the installation instructions for your Whipple? If not, you can download them from Whipple. In either case, it details how to adjust the linkage for he bypass valve if it is having issues. It should not be binding anywhere through its range of motion. Good luck!
I am going to try adjusting it, but I think the actuator is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
Its basically a tolerance issue between the bypass valve blade and the orifice.

Its your call weather you want to fix it your self or bring it up with Whipple.

I took the car down there for them to see, and they insisted it was the actuator and changed it. Of course it fixed it, because everything had cooled down. On the drive home it started doing it again. So i finally tore everything apart and diagnosed it myself. My customer made a big stink with whipple, and they just sent us another unit.
Thanks for chiming in!

I really hope it is just the actuator adjustment, and not the blade getting hung up.