Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5dewy View Post
For a while one dealership refused saying they cant give me one because it will break federal law by giving me an original one after the recall
My best guess is that either the agreement was timed, and that time has passed, or they were able to get the switchblades excluded, as GM isn't the only car company that uses them and the other companies aren't forced to recall. They probably have a lot of these things sitting around.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
My best guess is that either the agreement was timed, and that time has passed, or they were able to get the switchblades excluded, as GM isn't the only car company that uses them and the other companies aren't forced to recall. They probably have a lot of these things sitting around.
The Camaro isn't the only car GM makes that uses these keys. GM uses the exact same key fob for numerous other makes including several other Chevys that wasn't involved in the recall. You can just hand them your key fob and tell them you need another one. They don't need to know what car it is for.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS2013 View Post
Got a picture??? What does your new fob look like. I have been avoiding this?
I'll take a picture after they cut it for me. (They had to send it to another dealer to get cut)

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I got a pair of them off ebay from china for practically nothing. They were missing the chevy emblem, so I bought some silicon covers for them.
Had them cut at the local hardware store key department cheaply also. Someone said you can't pair 3 of them, but all 3 of mine work. I might have gone to the dealer but no way I want to carry a non retractable in my pocket as the policy was before. The remote start works also, car was already equipped with it of course.
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #19
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Someone said you can't pair 3 of them, but all 3 of mine work.
I believe the owners manual says the car is able to store 5 keys although I could be wrong.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
KS2013

Drives: 1SS-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I got a pair of them off ebay from china for practically nothing. They were missing the chevy emblem, so I bought some silicon covers for them.
Had them cut at the local hardware store key department cheaply also. Someone said you can't pair 3 of them, but all 3 of mine work. I might have gone to the dealer but no way I want to carry a non retractable in my pocket as the policy was before. The remote start works also, car was already equipped with it of course.
Thanks for the pic. I think I will take mine in. They never stopped sending me recall notices. The metal part of the Key might be just a bit shorter than your others.
KS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
forced it on you?!? should have fought back. They cant make you do it...
Not worth it annoying a service manager who is friendly and polite over something that is a safety recall.

Choose your battles.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen5dewy View Post
For a while one dealership refused saying they cant give me one because it will break federal law by giving me an original one after the recall

I can see them not wanting to give you one AFTER the recall... I just never allowed them to replace it in the first place. If my 2012 went in the shop, I verbally told them not to change the key, and I wrote it across the work order.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
Jodeus
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
I never got an update that anyone responded to this threat!

I paid $60 each including cutting the key. Had them done in about 10 minutes.

The FOB looks and feels exactly like the ones that originally came with the car.

-Jody
Jodeus is offline   Reply With Quote