Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #43
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager77 View Post
any comment on how hard they are to install? DIY?
It takes me 7 hours to install long tubes on a 93-2002 F-body. It looks like the clearances on these cars is better. So it should be easier.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #44
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Please PM me prices for emissions legal system with Cat's and all O2 provisions. Thank you.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #45
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Looks like unbolt and rebolt. From what some have said, there's a ton of room engine bay on the new camaro's. Which is a blessing for long tube header installs. If you have floor jacks and a wratchet set, you should be good to go.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLJumper View Post
Legal in Virginia? :[
Im sure we'll be fine. If some jerk at the inspection station is so concerned about your exhaust that he's gonna look under the car, you have a bulge just passed the headers... that means you have cats.. and you're fine.

It's not like they have pictures of the stock exhaust system to compare yours to. You can tell them that they are the factory cats cut from the old exhaust and welded into the new one. They cant prove it otherwise.

Now if your county has the sniffer, I hope you pass the sniffer. But if it makes you feel any better, I had a 2001 Cobra with Bassani catted x pipe and bassani catback and it passed CA emissions with flying colors. We should be fine on the camaro in Va.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #47
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
i talked to someone at arh the other day and they said with their headers and x pipe setup there was really no need for aftermarket mufflers as the stock ones were pretty much free flowing and the only reason to go after market would be to make your car LOUD

Or for removing like 40lbs of useless weight and the terrible underhang.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
AWESOME GAINS! To the OP's post earlier - where the pipes neck down to about 2.5'-inches is the merge collectors ARH use. QTP is the only other major company I know of that use these collectors standard. These promote scavanging of the exhaust by keeping the velocity of the gases as high as possible. Kooks has something similar on many of their LTs, but they're not quite as good, from the looks of them (they have true high velocity merge collectors for an additional cost though for some models, last I checked). Anyhoo, these are great gains! I didn't really think they'd be this high, but considering the numbers - WOW! Has ARH mentioned if they are going to offer additional sizes and stepped primaries for the 5th Gen too?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #49
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
So is it OK to run long tubes w/o a tune? I know it would benefit from a tune but it was my understanding that to compensate for the better breathing a tune was necessary with LT's. Oh and great looking headers, a set just might be in my future
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #50
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
If you spend 1k plus on LTs you might as well put down the 300-400 to get a tune and the extra 20 HP.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
bad2000z

Drives: 2015 Audi S6
What were the before and after dyno #'s? Maybe I missed it..
Old 05-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #52
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
My only question is, do they install without having to lift hte engine. They slide right in?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #53
radz28
Petro-sexual

I don't recall reading about moving the engine around for the G8 LTs from ARH, so I imagine it would be pretty similar in our case. It seems like ARH, among many other good things, is known for a pretty "easy" bolt-on affair, as far as LT installs go.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #54
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSINSTR View Post
So is it OK to run long tubes w/o a tune? I know it would benefit from a tune but it was my understanding that to compensate for the better breathing a tune was necessary with LT's. Oh and great looking headers, a set just might be in my future
Sometimes the 02 sensors don't light-off quick enough and set of the MIL. A lot of times, I've seen the tuner (mine included) turn off the 02s so there isn't a problem. You could run 02 simulators but could still have problems I imagine if the front aren't heating up enough. I've had that problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
If you spend 1k plus on LTs you might as well put down the 300-400 to get a tune and the extra 20 HP.
The newer PCMs compansate better than the older ones though, don't they? I'm not going against what you're saying though, because I've always planned for a tune into my LT budget. I'll tell you that I gained almost 30 more RWHP going from mid-lengths (which weren't known to be pretty good, though not as good as LTs) and a crappy canned tune to LTs and a good dyno' tune. Yeah - it costed another $400, but it was worth it to run good and not smell like I was trying to kill all the mosquitos in my area.

IMVHO - save and plan for a tune too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #55
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't recall reading about moving the engine around for the G8 LTs from ARH, so I imagine it would be pretty similar in our case. It seems like ARH, among many other good things, is known for a pretty "easy" bolt-on affair, as far as LT installs go.
Thanks radz, seems these are comparable gains to what Tag got with his Stainless Works.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #56
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I would love to gain 50HP and have the more open feel of high-flow cats and headers of this quality, but I cannot see giving GM or my dealer a way out of warrantee claims on a new model car. Plus Emissions under the current administration will probably become federally mandated to match California......not worth laying out all that cash for all that uncertainty.