Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
TX12Camaro

Drives: 2012 Cheverolet Camaro 1LT V6
I'm curious to see how this exhaust set up turns out, because I haven't seen anyone do this exact combination before
Hypertech Programmer
TX12Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Just bought this x-pipe on eBay for 95$ total, free shipping. Seems like a pretty fair deal.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
sspade

Hey guys. X-pipe came today and needless to say I got a serious itch to get it installed.

Just to recap.... I'm looking to cut off existing system at the factory h-pipe and get the x-pipe welded in. Then get new 2.5" pipe straight back from the new x-pipe. I'm looking to reuse the existing factory tips.

Can you guys please tell me one last time if this is a good plan first of all and secondly, how much should this cost me at a decent exhaust shop? Just talked to a guy and he shot me a number out of his ass of 400$. Seems a little high.

Also, should I spend the extra money for stainless pipes or is galvanized steel sufficient?

Please feel free to critique my plan and put your two cents in... I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not going to regret it instantly. Also don't want to be hacking up my exhaust over and over trying to get it right. Down the line I'm going to pop for Solo HFC's / down pipes but as far and I can tell - what I'm doing now will not have a negative impact on that mod at a later date.

Please share your thoughts. Any recommendations on shops are welcome... still in the Detroit area until the new year. In the process of relocating to VA for work....
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 12-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #18
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
What you want to do is exactly what I did (resonated X-pipe then 2.5" pipe back; removed factory resonators and mufflers) and I also went with dual 3.5" tips instead of the factory 4" tips; I can find the link to the tips if you'd like but basically they look similar to the factory NPP exhaust (the NPP has separate pipes/tips coming out of either muffler where as these tips are 2.5" to dual 3.5", but as far as anyone else knows they look factory ).

I would and did go with mandrel-bent stainless steel because they will last pretty much forever whereas with galv I can't imagine you'd save too much, and eventually they'll rust out. Also if galv gets hot enough you may get some undesirable scents to say the least. I paid $675 for the work - whether or not that is expensive I'm not sure, but they did a perfect job (Zoro Muffler in Hamilton, Ontario if anyone is interested).

Eventually I also plan to do the Solo cats but I can't comment on them at the moment (maybe get them on early next year once I get the OK from GM that they won't affect the warranty).
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Lots and lots of people have the same set up as what you are putting in. Definitely go stainless if you plan on keeping the car more than 2-3 years. Check around ,that price doesn't seem too bad. You could save money and have them cut old mufflers off and just replace that section with new pipe, some people do that.should be pretty loud and maybe just a little raspy around 3500 to 4000 rpm.
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual

Last edited by Kenny Camaro; 12-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #20
sspade

Ok thanks guys. I coulda swore Sanjay said he paid 250$ total for this when he did it.

Went to a O'Reilly's and the quoted 60$ TOTAL for TWO seven foot lengths of 2.5" exhaust pipe. That was galv steel. So the additional $340 to do the welding seemed high for a couple hours max of labor?

I will see if I can find a shop to do stainless for 400$ tops and go with them. The stainless lengths were not available through Oreillys so not sure how much more they would be... will check advance auto and see what they say about ordering stainless lengths....

Will let you guys know what I end up doing...
Old 12-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
Kenny Camaro

Sanjay was tight with the guy at his muffler shop, it's always better when you know the dude. Check around , someone will want the work for a decent price.
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Old 12-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
The guys that did mine took about four hours (although this included a dinner break, so let's say three hours), so I think two hours is an underestimate; perhaps it can be done faster, but like I said the job was perfect.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #23
Kenny Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
The guys that did mine took about four hours (although this included a dinner break, so let's say three hours), so I think two hours is an underestimate; perhaps it can be done faster, but like I said the job was perfect.
As long as your happy, that's all that matters
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
sspade

Fair enough. Id say three hours is a fair estimate. But I dont think 100$ per hour labor seems right. Thats more than Rodgers Chevy charges and they are one of the premier Camaro / Corvette dealers in the country. Maybe Ill just end up taking it there. Only 5 miles From my house. I thought going to a muffler shop would be more cost effective but maybe I was mistaken. Will call Rodgers Monday for a quote. Will let you know what I come up with for informational purposes
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
Kenny Camaro

Bump