Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
cmack

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Best tire strategy for novice ?

What would be the best cost effective tire strategy ? I am very green novice driver, I have no plans to buy track specific tires in near future. I have new Conti Extreme grip street tires (one track event on these tires), they are also not cheap tires. I am happy with the feel of Conti's for my skill level.

Options:
1. Use and abuse the Conti's and deal with additional wheel/tires later on. Might be able to get 1 year out of tires with HPDE and autox. Then still need to buy track tires
2. Buy track wheels (sq 305 setup) and source used street tires to use and abuse for track and autocross.
3. Buy track wheels (sq 305 setup) and put new street tires. This option would be most $$ but prob last longer

Other options??
Does anyone know what other make/model might run 305/3X/19 tires stock? I figure I might be able to find used ones from dealership.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Since you're seeing yourself within a year of having to replace your current tires in dual-duty service, I think you should go with a dedicated track wheel setup sooner rather than later. By putting your current setup back to street-only duty you'll at least get the most out of them and not find yourself in a bind when "just one more" track day ends up cording a tire you've been counting on to be good for a few hundred more street miles.

I don't think it'll matter right away if you source some used 305/xx's or go new, so for the short run maybe let that be determined by finances once you've settled on a wheel choice. For that matter, 285/35's, 295/35's, or maybe 295/30's could tide you over. All of those are legitimate sizes for 11" wide wheels, BTW.

Other 305 possibilities - Mustang GT with Performance Package Level 2 (305/30-19 Pilot Sport Cup 2's).

Norm
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
cmack

Thanks for the info Norm!

Last edited by cmack; 02-08-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
FWIW, I mentioned 11" mainly to point out that 11" doesn't limit you to choosing 305/xx and wider tires.

Norm
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
cmack

I was wondering that. For some reason I had 10.5 stuck in my head. If I can run 19x11 in front that would be great
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
The Conti extreme contact sport is a good tire for new to track days use, or just plain decent and long lasting tire period. I think the One Lap of America racers (they have to complete all the events on one set of tires) use either the Conti or the Michelin PS4 since they both last a long time and give decent grip.

The Conti is actually pretty cheap compared to the other "track" street tires I'd recommend. The Hankook RS-4 and the Bridgestone RE-71R for example cost more than the Conti, and won't last as long, for a bit better grip.

I've had decent luck with my Michelin PS4 in stock size 285/35-20, but I want more grip (and want to save the PS4 for street use) so now I have a set of 305/30-19 RE-71R on 19x11 track wheels. I would have gone with the Hankook (a little cheaper and last a little longer I heard) but they have been out of stock for a while.

There are plenty of different tires you can run, it really doesn't matter - well except you don't want to run snow tires, and on the other extreme I'd suggest not running race slicks.

Falken RT615k would be another decent choice but they don't make them in huge Camaro sizes.

There is a point at which, tracking this big heavy car is definitely an expensive PITA....but I enjoy it.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote